How far apart should speakers be?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Fishoutofwater, Nov 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fishoutofwater

Fishoutofwater Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have noticed that many of you; judging by your photos, have your speakers quite close together. Is there a right or wrong to the distance between speakers. Just a thought on this horrible rainy and windy day

Ezd and Dayfold like this.
  2. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Rainy days are perfect for thoughts and questions, The distance apart affects the stereo image. Closer together reinforces the phantom center image, but not too close, as this will begin to be destructive to the image. Further apart tends to spread the stereo image. (but kind of artificially) The idea of stereo is to create a phantom three dimensional sound image, something like 3D glasses crate a visual hologram. Two eyes are required to see in 3D. (a person with only one eye has limited depth perception and can not see a 3D hologram image in 3D.. it appears two dimensional) Two ears are required also to hear in 3D. The two speakers should be arranged to direct sound to each ear to recreate a 3D effect. Headphones for example accomplish this, but less realistically.

A well designed stereo speaker should have high enough directivity (love that word) to "focus" sound to each ear, but also some dispersion through the room to create a live ambient effect. How the speakers are positioned can optimize the stereo image. Many audiophiles like to toe in the speakers just a little, and sometimes a slight tilt back to align the ears. When the speakers are moved closer together, we have less reflection off side walls. These reflections can smear timing cues critical to the stereo image. Sound quality can be degraded as well... so we want to avoid much as possible, the early reflections off the side walls, and a hard floor. The disadvantage of moving closer together (too close) we have more interaural crosstalk, that is both ears hear each speaker more equally, (and we lose some of the timing cues) so the stereo image isn't as strong.

3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

RobCos02330, Swann36, hi_watt and 7 others like this.
  4. Hudo

Hudo Forum Resident

It affects mid bass coupling. To improve mid bass (important for vocals!) put them closer together. If they are too wide it will draw attention where you don't want it, but sound stage will appear bigger, with thinner mid bass (vocals, piano, ...). The truth is always somewhere in the middle:)

5. Ezd

Ezd Forum Resident

That is a good observation... Now that you mention it, it surprised me also. Obviously, the size of the room is a limiting factor.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I use 6-10 feet apart for best wide Stereo, as originally intended.

Clonesteak, jupiterboy and bluesky like this.
  7. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

I am always playing with positioning and I have found this to be very true. Too far apart and vocals get thinned out.

8. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident

This is interesting. I have my floorstanders right at 10.5 feet apart, measure at centers. My chair is at about 11 feet from each one. As per PSB's suggestion, I have them toed-in about 7 degrees from being straight ahead, and I also have them slightly tilted up so the tweeters are aimed at my ears at the chair. And the sound and staging are good. BUT - I have been feeling like there is a bit of body lacking in the entire presentation - like I want to richen it up just a bit. Not more bass per se - more body. Perhaps I have my speakers too far apart, and as a result, I'm losing out on some of the mid-bass mentioned above?

Tajo1960 and illinoisteve like this.
  9. George P

George P Notable Member

Can I ask how far apart your speakers are, and how far you are from each speaker?

Because of my living space, I have my speakers about 5 feet apart and 9 feet from the listening position. And toed in to meet on the wall directly behind the listening position.

The Pinhead, JimmyCool and audiomixer like this.
  10. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

That's about where mine are.

bluesky and McLover like this.
  11. Hudo

Hudo Forum Resident

Around 2m apart, ~1.5m from front wall, ~1-1.5 from side walls, and i sit ~3m from speakers, some room photos: Hifi setup v2
    But I still play with position from time to time. I like bigger sound stage but it screws up the vocals.
    Pics are 1y old, i recently bought 2x REL t5i subs, and replaced amp, DAC, turntable, phono preamp, cables ... well everything except speakers:)

George P likes this.
  12. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

An equilateral triangle arrangement with the main listening position is a good objective. It can't always work in every space. So distance apart depends upon the listening distance and the room.
    -Bill

13. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

Basic rule of thumb, position the speakers the same distance apart as you are from them in the listening position where possible. Adjust from there.

14. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

I pretty much use the equilateral method at about 10-12 feet. I make sure that from the main listening position I can just see the top and outer sides of the speaker cabinets.

It took me about 25 years to come to this decision which I find I’ve been happiest with.

heyMo, Fishoutofwater and George P like this.
  15. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I too prefer the equilateral triangle approach as a starting point and adjusting from there. My experience in my house has been to err on the side of slightly closer together than farther apart.

MassHysteria, Fishoutofwater and KT88 like this.
  16. Hudo

Hudo Forum Resident

Not really, they should be apart around 80% of listening position distance for a standard room (ref: Get Better Sound by Jim Smith). But thats just rule of thumb and starting position of position adjustment

17. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

And that's really the thing, isn't it? All of these *rules* are simply a starting point. If you have the option, you need to adjust width, distance from side/back walls, angle, etc. It's absolutely amazing how these tweaks affect sound and the soundstage.

18. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

10 feet minimum.

19. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

20. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

My front speakers are 12 feet apart, in an equilateral triangle with me, and toed in by 30º so that they directly face me.

My rear speakers are more than 35 feet apart and heavily toed-in so that they directly face my ears – given the placement of windows and radiators, it was either that or only about three feet apart, and with rear speakers it's better to have greater, rather than lesser, spacing than front speakers.

harby and Fishoutofwater like this.
  21. Mine are 7.5 feet from center of each speaker. I’ve played with toe in position till I found a sweet spot. My chair is 8.5 feet back

Obviously depends on each room.

22. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Mine are 8' apart, tweeter to tweeter, and I'm a bit under 7' from each with them toed directly at me. Pretty wide but it's where they have to go given room constraints. Still very good center fill and a nice big stage.

Paul from up north likes this.
  23. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

The people making the recordings tend to use an equilateral triangle, so playback should follow that.

The distance is dependent on speaker type and size (and where the acoustic center occurs). Most larger floor-standers need to be 3m/10' apart. You can sit closer to something like a dual-concentric because you do not need the distance for the sound from the individually spaced drivers to integrate at the listening position.

As always, consult what the manufacturer says to find a suitable starting point.

Kyhl and Fishoutofwater like this.
  24. jdsher

jdsher Forum Resident

This thread is timely as I've really struggled with this issue. When I first purchased my Proacs the dealer set them up perfectly for my listening position. Unfortunately, my maids moved then against the walls for some reason. I should've marked this position with tape like they do at my local dealer's shop. I've tried lots of positions, but can't seem to get back to where they have that perfect mix of imaging and bass punch. Thankfully, my dealer has offered to help me when he delivers my new streamer that I've ordered. He charges $90/hr which will be well worth it to have them set this up again. "DON'T FORGET TO MARK THIS SPOT!" I keep telling myself.
    I think the Cardas calculator seems a little weird as it says I should put my speakers 5+ feet from the side walls which is about where they are now, but it says to place them 8+ feet from the rear walls in a room that's only 21" long. Doesn't that seem a little strange?
    Jon

25. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Isn't it the basic rule that two speakers and the listening position form an equilateral triangle?

Jaxjax67 and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.