How Good is Good Enough?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mike from NYC, Jan 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member Thread Starter

I remember when I first got into this hobby in the early 60s, updates and new equipment were years apart. I kept my basic system the same from 1967 until 1974 w/o any new purchases except for a cart.

Nowadays people seem to upgrade their systems far far more often - including me (although my surround system has remained virtually unchanged except for a BR Oppo since 2007).

I've spent quite a few $$$$$$$$$ in the past 2 years upgrading and now I am very happy with what I have and can't think what I would like to change, if anything at all. I think my equipment is quite good and good enough for me.

Is your present equipment good enough for you?

Fiddlefye likes this.
  2. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

"Good Enough" happens when financial realities become apparent. :sigh:

3. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

every time I think it's good enough...I buy something to upgrade, so...never? or death.

displayname likes this.
  4. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I now am able to hear the difference between the good the bad (and ugly) in every recording. That kind of clarity is a point where I can stop wishing for more (or less).

displayname and audiomixer like this.
  5. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

There are by far more choices available today than there were back in the day (60’s and 70’s). Which is why it’s so easy to get caught up in the upgrade mode. And the more you read product reviews the more it fuels that desire. It never ends.

It’s really a question of how content you are with the sound coming out of your current system, IMO. If you answer in the affirmative then just sit back and enjoy the music.

6. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Is it ever? :shrug:

Dave likes this.
  7. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I just picked up a pair of Harbeth M30.1 speakers (MSRP $6K USD). Those will have two be good enough as the next step up in the Monitor series are the M40.2 and those are $15K. Rather than upgrading to the M40.2, I’d rather put the difference ($9K) into a nice vintage 1959 Les Paul Junior or Special guitar.

bhazen, Dave, WapatoWolf and 2 others like this.
  8. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

The '59 LP junior, bridge P-90, wrap-around stop bar..... buy it! (screw the hifi upgrade) :righton:

arem and bhazen like this.
  9. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Since I went over to tubes. In the form of Leak Stereo 20 i have lost all desire to Upgrade.
    I guess its good enough!

10. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

"Good Enough" happens when you can't find any recordings that are good enough to match your equipment.

It happens sooner with the Blues...

Fiddlefye and Paully like this.
  11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

For me it’s not about good enough but more about exploring and learning. I have a favorite beer but it’s not the only one I’ll drink.

Many times my favorite stuff wasn’t the most expensive.

displayname, Melvin and Shel like this.
  12. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

No. My turntable hums (although I only hear it while not playing and in loud volume). My receiver hums (although I only hear it with headphones). My cartridge doesn't reproduce all cymbals. I'll start from the latter.

displayname likes this.
  13. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

My present equipment is too good for the likes of me.

D.D.

14. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

My system probably cost less than some members’ interconnects, but I have a vision for the sound I want to achieve. My boujie system is quite close. Then I look forward to spending what little I have on records rather than equipment.

15. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

You've been doing this a long time, somewhat longer than me (I got my first decent system in around 1970, and dove into the deep end of the pool in the early '70s). After that many years of audio, I have had enough high end equipment (and the experience that comes with it) to put together systems that are more than adequate for my needs. I like gear, but I've gotten to the point where I don't think the "next new thing" is going to dramatically change my listening experience. For the last number of years, the money has gone into records.
    I've also gotten more sanguine about digital- whether some of the engineering and production or playback equipment has improved--it doesn't sound as immusical to me as it did when it was first introduced. So, apart from adding some decent digital front ends to the systems I run, I haven't given much if any thought to "upgrades."
    The current main system, at its core, has remained the same since around 2007; the vintage one, recently restored from cobbled together gear I owned in the early '70s, is really spectacular on a cost/performance ratio. Apart from buying and installing a vintage tone arm, that system is done.

16. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

This is a good topic and I upgrade more often only because I am a reviewer. If I were not I probably would have a considerably less pricey system. Indeed, the trick is to not spend more than the level that makes you happy and absolutely do not get into the pressure of keeping up with the technology or others.

Computer audio is dangerous because it follows the computer upgrade speed. It's not about sound quality, it's about having the latest and greatest "chip." If you are a gamer it makes some sense to have the latest graphics card because without it you can't play the most current game but in audio there is no direct link between the higher level chip and better sound quality. And even if there were - it doesn't mean you have to have it. There will always be something "better" but it's about saying that's fine but I am happy with this piece and it satisfies my needs.

This isn't to say I won't upgrade some things in the future but I don't feel any urgency.

17. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

In response to the OP: Receiver and turntable yes, although I do want to try out a Jico SAS stylus on my cart at some point. Speakers, no.

18. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Yes, it is. Not to say I might not upgrade if products become available with better ergonomics.

19. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my system, but if my income were to suddenly double or I got that lucky lotto ticket, you can be sure I'd start lookin' around.

20. missan

missan Forum Resident

I´m perfectly happy.

Dave Mac, audiomixer and eric777 like this.
  21. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

It isn’t always about the next, new thing. There is so much vintage equipment that can be had, often not too expensively, to play with, different tubes to roll, another record, something to rehab or build... it doesn’t feel like a merry go round to me all the time. Just a hobby to play around with and discover what new/old toys I can play with. If I was constantly pursuing the next (expensive) better sounding thing that an overpriced audiophile company might put out, well then perhaps it might seem a little more silly to me (and my wife would have something to say about it too).

22. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Outside of a M/S Surface Pro for music my system has been the same for years.

23. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

For me, "good enough" is when I often laugh, sometimes cry, and usually cannot stop listening for hours, because the clarity, dynamics, retrieval of subtle details, and musical emotion that I hear through my audio system doesn't cease to impress me.

It certainly has nothing to do with "running out of funds". I would spend more money if I felt I was disappointed in my sound in some way.

bhazen and Kristofa like this.
  24. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

How about "small enough"?

I love my Maggie 3.7i (except below about 45 Hz) but I wish they were smaller... (almost) good enough, but not small enough...

25. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I recently did a major overhaul and am at the same stage as George.

I imagine I will tinker forever, but I won’t replace anything until something breaks or wears out. I am now at that process where I am going through my music library and finding out which of the recordings were actually amazing and which ones were straight up duds but I couldn’t tell with my old rig.

Bliss

George Blair and Dave Mac like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.