How I Transformed My Home Listening Experience

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Litejazz53, May 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital Thread Starter

I have just ordered the new, larger full ribbon driver version of the Aperion original Super Tweeter. They arrived yesterday and are noticeably larger than the originals. The Planar Magnetic version are 5.5" x 4.0" x 4.0" the new full ribbon speaker cabinets are 6.0" x 5.0" X 4 7/8" . The new speakers weight about twice as much as the originals, due to the very heavy magnets. I will do a part II review on the new speakers, which really take this upgrade to a brand new standard. Additionally, the new ribbon version offer a 95% efficiency over the 90% offered by the Planar Magnetic version. The frequency response of the newer set is 8-40 KHz. These new full ribbon speakers are beautifully finished in the Steinway gloss black finish, as are the less expensive Planar Magnetic Super Tweeters.

You can clearly see, the new ribbon driver enclosure is larger than the Planar Magnetic enclosure. These speakers are beautifully engineered and finished! :edthumbs:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  2. Litejazz53

Did you ever jump on the Super Tweeter bandwagon? I just got a pair of the full ribbon Super Tweeters and will do a comparison of those to the original Planar Magnetic design, the new ones are larger, heavier, and just as well designed and executed.:righton:

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  3. Litejazz53

I have not been on this thread for a while, but I am thrilled you really like what the Planar Magnetic Super Tweeters add to the mix with your music. The more time I spend with them, the more I am thrilled at their versatility, the ability to reduce their volume by 3dB and their ability to change their rolloff frequencies. Those little tweeters are like having a high frequency equalizer on the top of each speaker. I'm excited about trying out their new full ribbon Super Tweeters, they just arrived, very heavy and larger than the Planar Magnetic original. Once I have had some serious time with the new tweeters, I will follow up with a report on what I find. :righton:

4. Litejazz53

So sorry, you asked me for this, and I did not see your post, hope this helps. I now have the full ribbon design, be sure and watch for my Part II of this thread. You should try a pair, they are both great additions, either the Planar Magnetic or the full ribbon design. When you order, they offer a 60 day trial period, so you have nothing to loose, but you won't send them back!

When adding the Super Tweeters you don't have to take anything apart, simply tap off of the + and - on your existing speakers and go directly to the Super Tweeter. If you have a bi-wire speaker, tap off the top or bottom terminals, + and - , it makes no difference, simple and quick.:righton:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    Dan Steely and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Gotcha. Thanks!

6. Truth Serum

Truth Serum Active Member

I have installed the Aperion aluminum ribbon tweeters in place of the planar tweeters. The difference is subtle, but certainly noticeable. On certain recordings that are a bit “over cooked” in the treble, the aluminum super tweeters really smooth out the presentation. I have a real hard time getting any recordings to sound harsh or fatiguing. They blend so well with my electrostatics, it’s as if they were made especially for them. I’m not getting any comb filtering with this positioning. If you have a speaker that is a bit rolled off on the top end, or if you want to add a bit more air and sparkle to the presentation, I highly recommend either of the Aperion super tweeters. For the money, they are hard to beat.
    [​IMG]

4_everyman likes this.
  7. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

I would love to get that Aperion super tweeters latest version they came out or any comparable sound equipment even DIY for I know that's the final step to fully season my system. having it cost so much plus my 2nd equipment that spent just this week, I don't know if anyone tried using a fountek neo ribbon 3.0 an making a box for satellite ribbon tweeters.
    Hoping this can save me a bit of money while I can match the casing to my system for I use all brushed aluminum or stainless finish.
    Any one had experience with this tweeter?.. ideas?
    you can make a frequency selector to 8 to 18khz
    variable db using trimmer/potentiometer

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  8. CSK12

CSK12 New Member

Hello there! How are the new super tweeters coming along? hope you enjoying them! Looking forward to your comparison of the new Aluminium super tweeter with your old planar ones

9. Litejazz53

This might be a good time to offer some feedback in regard to long listening sessions with both the Aperion Super Tweeters, both the Planar Magnetic design as well as the Full Ribbon Design. Lately I have been enjoying some of the really cool YouTube Audiophile channels. I have no idea what the fidelity of these channels is, but wow, most of them really sound nice. I suppose the people that put these together find the best of the best to present on their channels.

Anyway, back to the Aperion Super Tweeters. I now have one pair of the Planar Magnetic design as well as the more expensive Full Ribbon design and on these YouTube Channels they sound so nice, the high frequency extension is absolutely remarkable.
    People look for a way to enhance their listening experience, and this is one of the very best tweaks I have ever done, worth every penny, and both models are totally adjustable, both frequency roll off as well as loudness attenuation. What a fantastic product!
    This is certainly one tweak I will never grow tired of.

CSK12, SandAndGlass and dcottrell6 like this.
  10. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

The key here, is that they are adjustable!

I prefer the looks of the Altec A7's as a two way system, without the JBL "Baby-Cheeks" super tweeters, but there is no way of getting around the fact that they add extension and sparkle to the high end (not that don't also sound good as a 2-way speaker, plus the subwoofer).

You always have to have adjustability.

It is not just about getting it perfect. It is also about listening preferences. Sometimes I prefer more high end and sometimes I do not.

11. Litejazz53

We do get used to the improvements, not that our speakers are not worthy when used without these perks, but the enhancements are just nice to have in place. How many times have we seen people say, I don't need a subwoofer, my three way speakers extended down to X frequency, but they just don't realize how much "low frequency weight and enjoyment" a powered sub adds, doesn't really matter what speaker system you have, same with the super tweeters! If subs were not a nice improvement, Wilson would not sell them, however one of their subs is on an entirely different level of engineering, as are most Wilson products. Larry, I was reading a post by another member saying he replaced the resistors in his Wilson speakers after I believe it was 2000 hours of listening, and his speakers are pretty new, several hundred for a few resistors, wow! I have never replaced a resistor on any speaker I have ever owned, but again, Wilson products are on another level, but they are very proud of their products and parts!

LakeMountain, CSK12 and SandAndGlass like this.
  12. Litejazz53

I made the move from the Planar Magnet super tweeter to the full ribbon model and I have been very pleased, both super tweeters are absolutely excellent in every way, fantastic adjustability and attenuation choices, however, soon after I purchased the full ribbon version, the new Aperion Audio Dual AMT ribbon tweeters with stands was introduced.

Aperion Audio Dual AMT Ribbon Super Tweeter Speaker Pair

I would love to try a pair of these, but mine have to find a new home before that will happen. Has anyone tried the brand new dual ribbon design?:whistle:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. Litejazz53

I am excited to give the new Aperion Dual AMT Ribbon Super Tweeters a good listen. First there was the Planar Magnetic design, then came the refined Full Ribbon design, and it is my understanding Aperion Audio will have their new dual Super Tweeters in stock towards the end of March, CAN'T WAIT!

Aperion Audio Dual AMT Ribbon Super Tweeter Speaker Pair

14. Litejazz53

I have been enjoying the Aperion Planar Magnetic Super Tweeters for some time now, then purchased a set of the full ribbon design, and now the company has come out with an air motion dual firing super tweeter, and this one promises to be the ultimate super tweeter, we will see!:shh:

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass and Bern like this.
  15. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Do you plan on resting these on top of the 707's? I am interested in hearing how they compare to your previous adventures.

Bern

16. Litejazz53

I do indeed, and here is what they look like! :agree: These are nice ALL METAL speakers, heavy, very nice indeed. Looking forward to a review sometime over the weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass and Bern like this.
  17. Litejazz53

[​IMG] THIS IS THE FIRST SET MADE, FIRST GENERATION PLANAR MAGNETIC APERION AUDIO

[​IMG] SECOND SET, SECOND GENERATION FULL RIBBON DESIGN SUPER TWEETER BY APERION AUDIO

[​IMG] BRAND NEW SET JUST ARRIVED 4/22/21, THIRD GENERATION AIR MOTION TRANSFORMER DUAL FIRING SUPER TWEETERS! OH YES!

miquifaye and SandAndGlass like this.
  18. miquifaye

miquifaye Member

i'm a recent adapter of the Aperion Super Tweeters . i'm glad i read your testimony and i will use these permanently.

19. Bern

Bern JC4Me

What speakers are you using them with? I'm going to do it eventually with some Polk LSiM 705's...but other things have crept in above them at this point. (e-bike..(a blast)) and a gas stove for the winter to replace a wood stove. Someday.

Bern

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.