How important was Rasa Davies to the Kinks?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jymn, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon Thread Starter

I remember a review of "Waterloo Sunset" in the past that mentioned how embarrassing it must be to the Kinks to have such lovely but effeminate background vocals in the late 60's Kinks. At the time of the review, not many knew of Rasa's participation so I understand his reservations. However, I had no such reservations. I loved and love this song. The female vocal makes it all the more transcendent in my ears and mind. OK, the writing, the guitar, the inexplicable beauty made it probably one of the greatest rock songs of all time.

Does Rasa deserve some respect? I think so.

2. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I think so too.

If she had only sung on "Waterloo Sunset," she would have deserved immortality. But I know there had to be many others. Has anyone ever compiled of the songs she is known to have sung on?

For all the accolades Ray deserves for his incredible songs, The Kinks oeuvre would not be nearly so celebrated if it weren't for Dave's guitar work and inimitable harmony vocals. Rasa's contributions made it all the more remarkable.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  3. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

She only sang on a few of her songs, and it wasn't like her voice was so special that none of the dozens of professional female backing vocalists couldn't have done the same thing.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  4. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

But they didn't. She did.

5. Keith Moon

Keith Moon Active Member

Exactly.

goodiesguy and rediffusion like this.
  6. Bill

Bill Senior Member

All you need to do is listen to some of the live 60s Kinks performances on You Tube and hear the band members straining to replicate her parts. She was integral to the success of many of their best tracks.

goodiesguy likes this.
  7. william shears

william shears Senior Member

It wouldn't have been the same with a 'professional' female backing singer because a pro would have given you 'brassy' or 'black' or 'sultry'. The true beauty of the mysterious Rasa was that ethereal amateur aspect. Like your Auntie Jill singing in the kitchen and it somehow bleeds into the living room acoustic ambience. Her voice in the Kinks is almost not there, yet if you take it away (as the live footage shows) something intrinsic is missing. My fave Rasa texture is that high answering vocal part on 'You Shouldn't Be Sad' "Peo-ple sa-ay/ PEOPLE SAY/That love can do funny things/But I sa-ay/BUT I SAY...." just delicious and heartwarming but also touched with 'saudade', that lovely whimsical melancholy so strong in Ray's songs.
    I would hope that Rasa realises there are people out there who appreciated her part in the Kinks story. She deserves some recognition. And she was way before Yoko and Linda in the 'my bird's in the band' wagon. Better too!

8. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Well, color me clueless. I've never even heard of her. Was she Ray's wife?

IMMusicRulz, OldSoul and clhboa like this.
  9. mfp

mfp Senior Member

'Saudade' is indeed the word, William Shears. Rasa does have something Brazilian-like in her very soft singing (probably not intentional though, she was probably shy and not very confident in her singing ability, but still, it added a very nice touch to the Kinks, and a nice counterpoint to Ray's ironic phrasing).
    The Kinks are a little bit overlooked when it comes to harmony singing, but they were really astute at it. Waterloo Sunset's chorus IMO sets a precedent to The Band's The Weight.

The Quiet One and ajsmith like this.
  10. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Here you go (from http://howlongittakes.blogspot.com/2008/01/come-on-now.html):

Rasa was Ray's first wife, a woman that sang on many of The Kinks's singles up through 1968. A quick biography (with much thanks to, among others, Doug Himan's "All Day And All Of The Night"). Ray and Dave Davies were from North London (Arsenal fans, by the way). They first hit big in mid 1964 with You Really Got Me. The band was touring that single in July 1964, where they had a gig in Sheffield. In attendance that night was Rasa Didzpetris, a student from Lithuania via Bradford. Rasa met Ray and they exchanged addresses.

A week or two later, the pair met up in London, and pretty soon they were inseparable. Rasa became pregnant with their first daughter. They were married on December 12, 1964. On December 22-23, The Kinks were in the studio and recorded today's song, Come On Now, as well as Everybody's Gonna Be Happy. Rasa was there too. Come On Now is the first Kinks song that Rasa definitely sang on (it's unclear to me whether she sang on the studio versions of Tired Of Waiting For You or Set Me Free, which had been recorded back in August & September).

Before we get to the music, though, let's complete the biographical sketch. Ray had to leave his new wife and daughter for a tour of the U.S. in 1965. Ray's unhappiness about this (the Lithuanian-born Rasa had visa problems) has been at least partially blamed for Ray's bad behavior on the tour; after one encounter with a commie-baiting stage manager (keep in mind that back then marrying someone from behind the Iron Curtain was quite a political statement with some people, whether it was meant to be or not), The Kinks were actually banned from the U.S. for four years, which would dramatically inhibit The Kinks' popularity (and still a big reason why the band are relatively less well known than their contemporaries).

Much has been made of Ray's subsequent domesticity once they all got back to Swinging London. Ray lived the quiet life in Muswell Hill while Dave (and the rest of the pop world) lived it up in Soho. Kinks songs became quieter and more anachronistic. Also, for a couple of years, Rasa sang on nearly every important Kinks song. At the time, The Kinks' visibility and popularity plummeted, never really to recover. But in the intervening years, this period has come to be considered Ray's and The Kinks's finest: from the "Face To Face" LP to "The Village Green Preservation Society" LP, with all the singles in between.

After that, Rasa disappeared from Kinks records. Sadly, also, the Davies marriage fell apart. Rasa left Ray in 1973, which precipitated a personal crisis for Ray, a suicide attempt, and a brief retirement from music. Fortunately, as best as I can tell Ray and Rasa both got on with things in the long run. Ray just had a bunch of singles on the latest Wes Anderson movie, and Rasa makes appearances with Kast Off Kinks, a kind of tribute band of former Kinks members and associates.

Most people think of Waterloo Sunset as the absolute high point of The Kinks, and one of the finest examples of British pop full stop. What qualities does Waterloo Sunset have? Its urban romanticism, its sense of isolation or detachment, its beauty, its obliqueness, its subtlety. A lot of ink has been spilled on describing this song, much better than I could ever do. But now listen to the song again, this time just focusing on those falsetto backing vocals. That's Rasa. I submit that every quality of Waterloo Sunset is available in microcosm in her backing vocals. They have a wistful, aching quality that works perfectly with the song. (Of course that's also a tribute to Ray's arrangement and recording, but the whole idea of "An Appreciation Of Rasa Davies" is also an oblique compliment to the band as a whole anyway).

Finally, that brings us to today's song, Come On Now. As mentioned before, this is just about the earliest Kinks song on which Rasa appears. We've posted this track, not because it's bad--its pretty catchy, and Dave's vocal (Dave wrote the song, by the way) is nice and lusty. But as enthusiastic as it is, Rasa's backing is pretty generic. They hadn't yet written music to take full advantage of her particular qualities.

11. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Never even heard of her. Is this a trick question? Don't even recall any female voices on Kinks songs. Albeit I only know the 60's hits, and, for some reason, do not have a cd with any of them.
    I need a greatest hits by the Kinks, and PLU-ESE don't say the "ugly pink" cd that I've never, not once in all my years of cd trawling, seen with my own eyeballs!

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  12. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

13. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

As an inspiration to Ray and his songwriting I'm sure there was a time when she was very important to the Kinks.

linklinc11 and IMMusicRulz like this.
  14. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

She was absolutely vital to their early sound — the BBC initially mistook the Kinks for a five-piece — and it's great to see that she's finally getting the credit she deserved in recent releases such as Picture Book.

Attached Files:

linklinc11 and Dave Armstrong like this.
  15. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

+ 1 :righton:

16. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I think she was special. And I think you're special too. We are all special people. Let's especially think about it, special guy.

Dave Armstrong and ajsmith like this.
  17. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Those records aren't as good without her. It's really that simple.

18. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Thanks for this, never knew she was in there. You got this one on the head with a nail. That song would not be nearly as good without the high answering part. And what about "Death of a Clown"? That's her, right?

19. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

At the time, yes, though there have been numerous subsequent Mrs. Davies.

20. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Let me add my thanks to Bill for the article, and Matthew for the photo (I have never actually seen Rasa before this).

She deserves every accolade...and how fascinating that she performs with the Kast-off Kinks. Does anyone have more info on them...their membership, where and when they've played, etc.?

linklinc11 likes this.
  21. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

Their membership has varied. Right now it comprises former Kinks Mick Avory, Jim Rodford, and Ian Gibbons, along with Dave Clarke on lead guitar and vocals. John Dalton and John Gosling used to be in it too.

More information, including concert history, etc., here and here.

linklinc11 likes this.
  22. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Thanks for all of the great information here. This is all news to me!

23. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

This thread has my recomendation, as well as other member's:
    Thread: Where to start with the Kinks? View Single Post

24. rinso white

rinso white Pale Fire

Not only a great and integral voice on those early Kinks songs, but she supported Ray emotionally and helped him achieve all that he did. Is it a coincidence that for me the great Kinks era ends as their relationship deteriorated? Probably yes, but...

25. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

The Great Kinks era never ends rinso...

The Quiet One and IMMusicRulz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.