How innovative a handclapper was Paul?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by serge, Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. serge

serge Forum Resident Thread Starter

I notice that we haven't yet praised Paul McCartney's handclapping skills so I thought I would redress this by starting this thread. Please limit your discussion to Paul's handclapping on the Beatles records. We will have a separate thread for his Wings/Solo career.

I also noticed there doesn't seem to be any thread praising Lennon's piano playing so if someone else could start that one I think that would help fill that hole...

2. mrt2

mrt2 Active Member

:laugh:

Sean, Jimmy B. and FrixFrixFrix like this.
  3. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Not in the same class as Peter Noone. Or Shirley Ellis.

Sean and goodiesguy like this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

5. DJMurphy

DJMurphy Forum Resident

Sheesh; next we'll be critiquing the innovation (or lack thereof) of Paul's celery-crunching!!

On which song did Paul crunch more sublimely: "Vegetables" by the Beach Boys, or "Receptacle for the Respectable" by the Super Furry Animals?

Sean, fr in sc, saborlord123 and 10 others like this.
  6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

How about his innovative footstamping on Blackbird. :edthumbs:

fr in sc and Andrew J like this.
  7. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

I'm glad there are some people that can laugh at the sheer rediculousness of some of these Beatle threads. Awesome.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

8. The Rush Fan

The Rush Fan Well-Known Member

For purposes of this thread, I'm sorry to say that "Weird Al" Yankovic is the best celery cruncher in music bar none. This is best exemplified in the tune Weasel Stomping Day from his Straight Outta Lynwood album, and visually demonstrated in "making-of" feature from such album's bonus DVD.

Is there anyone in the same league as Paul McCartney as far as hand clapping in Rock music?.

Flamenco on the other hand...

9. Has anyone identified the take of Vegetables with Paul on celery (or was it carrots) and where it can be found?

I didn't know about the Super Furry Animals track, but I'm not surprised. They're Beach Boys fans.

linclink likes this.
  10. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I don't know if it was Paul doing the handclapping, but this morning I played Abbey Road in the car and noticed the handclapping during Here Comes The Sun for the first time (after hearing the song well over 1,000 times in my life). I thought this morning, now no other group would have thought of putting some handclaps in there. The Beatles really had a degree of attention to detail, and an imagination, that few rock groups have ever had.

jammincrowe and lightbulb like this.
  11. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I dunno, it's going to be pretty hard to top the London Town "masterpiece" thread.

12. zen archer

zen archer Forum Resident

He is great at “One Hand Clapping”........

spindly and Sean like this.
  13. rewind1964

rewind1964 Forum Resident

14. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

No one has ever crunched celery on an album as well as Don Byron on his "Nu Blaxploitation" album, in my humble opinion. He vaults to the exalted status as the "Hendrix of celery crunching" on that album, I think.

At the time that the album came out, I complained about his celery crunching in a reader comment on amazon.com

15. :biglaugh:

Best Wishes
    David

16. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

He's truly an innovator. He changed the way a whole generation of handclappers handled their instruments.

fr in sc and Ignatius like this.
  17. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

How innovative a thread-starter is Serge?

Comet01 and johnaltman like this.
  18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Paul's handclapping was tremendous on "Eight Days a Week", as the band's increasing studio sophistication allowed them to have Paul both playing bass and clapping at the same time. Of course, the inability to reproduce this innovative sound live led the Beatles to swear off touring altogether so that they could concentrate on their work in the studio.

fr in sc, danasgoodstuff and zphage like this.
  19. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

how about the singing talents of that horse on "Good Morning, Good Morning"? or did they feed Ringo a sugar cube and an apple?

fr in sc and Fullbug like this.
  20. shabbyroad

shabbyroad Forum Resident

21. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I almost clipped and saved Mark's Gort comment, now I just have to savour it from memory...

22. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

Do we have a list of songs on which McCartney has been verified as the hand clapper?

23. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

Paul munched carrots on Vege-tables.

24. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

linclink likes this.
  25. wolf66

wolf66 New Member

Clap, clap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.