How long does a Denon 103R cart last?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Garthb, Jan 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garthb

Garthb Forum Resident Thread Starter

I bought my Denon 103r cart "slightly used" 6 months ago, I listen to the TT about an hour a day, when should I replace it? How do I know when it needs replacing?

2. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

patient_ot likes this.
  3. blakep

blakep Senior Member

With proper setup, very clean vinyl in good condition and careful cueing practices you should be able to get between 800-1000 hours out of the Denon conical; it is not your run of the mill cheap conical stylus.

I ran a 103R for those kind of hours with no discernible loss of performance and certainly no damage to records before running retipped (with superior stylus profiles) 103R's for another 5-6 years or 6,000 hours after that.

4. CrimsonKink

CrimsonKink Forum Resident

I recently changed my Denon 103r, it had more than a decade of use, which varied quite a lot but was less than an hour and day on average for sure. When I took it off, we had a look at it under a microscope at the shop. It looked totally fine. I'm sure a host of factors, record condition, stylus cleaning, environment, etc., come into play.

5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

How many hours were on it when it was "slightly used"? That could mean anything. Also is this a regular conical Denon 103 or was it retipped with a different profile?

6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

~1 hour per day over ten years is still well over 3,000 hours. That's a lot for any stylus. What magnification was this microscope? You need 200X to see wear and even then it's tricky business, due to lighting, angles, etc.

HiFi Guy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.