How loud do you guys listen to your system on average?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Budysr, Dec 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident Thread Starter

I apologize if there is already a thread or multiple threads on this topic...Anyway, I’m curious how loud most like to typically crank the stereo up for extended listening sessions? I’ve been watching the decibel readings more lately and thinking about my ears as I get older(hit the big 50 this year). I still have those times where I’ll crank up to high 90s with max a little over 100db but I typically try to keep it in the upper 80s with a low 90s max. I guess what I really want to know is what is a safe dB level for a couple hours of play time without risk of long term damage to the ole ears?

2. Andre Acvedo

Andre Acvedo Sargento Primero

Nothing above 75dB for me, I have neighbours to consider though. It's more than adequate for me.

albertop, trd, George P and 2 others like this.
  3. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

70 db.

Andre Acvedo likes this.
  5. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Usually in the 70-75 dB range.

6. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

Take care of those ears, use common sense … if you can call it loud it's probably too loud for your ears.

Andre Acvedo, audiomixer and Budysr like this.
  7. Budysr

I also meant to ask which weighting setting to measure dB with? A and C are the two I’m looking at and C shows much higher dB levels than A. So when I said upper 80s it is with the C weighting and A has me in the 70s range with the same level of volume.

8. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

As I have no intention of laying out money on a decibel meter (are you guys really doing that?), here are my rules.
    Headphone listening or speakers - if the music sounds even remotely distorted, turn it down a bit.
    Live - if it hurts, put in the ear plugs.
    At age 64, after thousands and thousands of hours of headphone listening, hundreds of loud to VERY loud concerts and playing for years in loud garage bands my ears are perfectly fine with no sign of tinnitus.

9. audiomixer

Perfectly fine?!? 64 years old?
    When was the last time you saw an audiologist?
    By the way, you can download a "free" decibel reading meter on your phone.

DigitalBlues and violetvinyl like this.
  10. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Somewhere between 65 and 75dB, usually trending toward the lower end. Any louder worsens the tinnitus in my right ear.

E.Baba likes this.
  11. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Can change due to mastering but generally rather loud, with headphones - when I could use a proper setup it was closer to the middle for most albums. I could go really loud but I didn't not to make the family mad/it was just THAT loud :p

12. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Turn my McIntosh C-28 pre up to about 11 o'clock. Plenty loud for me.

13. Budysr

That’s what I’m using to measure. I have a couple iPhone apps for dB. One also uses the Z weighting. I assume these smartphone apps are accurate enough for a proper measurement anyway...

audiomixer likes this.
  14. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

If I can hear detail I'm happy.
    Moderate mostly

The app would be interesting but about to change phone.

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

usually Twelve O' Clock....

16. Crawlin From The Wreckage

Crawlin From The Wreckage Custom Titled

HUH???!!! WHAT???!!! WHAT DID YOU SAY????!!!

17. MungoMusic

MungoMusic Forum Resident

Usually fairly low (a notch or two lower is mute) and I listen on headphones at home, where the only ambient sounds are usually a passing car or (like now) an overhead jet or the sound of typing.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  18. 2trackmind

2trackmind Forum Resident

I don't have an exact decibel number, but I listen to my music at high levels. I'd say 3/4 of full volume.

19. audiomixer

My advice: Have Your Hearing Tested. You might be quite shocked at just how much hearing loss you have in the high frequencies just due to your age.
    Just a fact of life...

EVOLVIST and Chemguy like this.
  20. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

3 months ago. Perfect hearing. I apparently don't need one.

gregorya likes this.
  21. Andre Acvedo

Andre Acvedo Sargento Primero

There is dB app for the iPhone, IPad etc.. Works great.

Gaslight and Chemguy like this.
  22. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

I don't know the dB, but usually about 1/3 of the way up. I like to 'feel' the music in my chest.

23. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

On speakers, I'm not in a living situation where I can crank my music, so basically I listen with TV levels of volume. Headphones, on the other hand, are usually maintained at peak volumes. (The 'peak' being below the threshold of distortion entering the equation, of course.)

24. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

This thread begs the question, why the lust for 100+ wpc equipment? What's the advantage? I listen at about 10 o'clock on my kenwood -33 receiver through some Forte I.

25. Budysr

I did have a hearing test done by an ENT a couple years ago and I passed it without any hearing loss according to him. The reason for the test had more to do with sinus and other issues, not me complaining about my hearing. I feel like my hearing now is really good, just want to keep it that way going forward. Actually Steve talking about guys getting older and losing the ability to hear the midrange frequencies is one of the things that really got me thinking about safe volume levels with the system spinning records and such.

audiomixer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.