How loud do you guys listen to your system on average?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Budysr, Dec 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

The morning after....40.

2. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

11 o'clock, 12 o'clock, 3/4 of volume. These cannot provide others any correlation to true volume as the power of your amp and the efficiency of your speakers along with other factors do not really give you any information that is useful. A free app downloaded and used to check volumes in relationship to those settings will provide you a much more realistic view as to the volume you listen to. Tinnitus is only one sign of hearing issues. More times than night this is not a sudden change that you will know you have issues. Much of loss or decline in hearing will be a gradual slow process and by the time you might realize it you have be declining in hearing for years. In that case what you think is normal is only what you have become accustomed to. To me it is a good idea to have your hearing checked at any age but especially if you are over 50. Know for sure. Don't guess.

rikki nadir likes this.
  3. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

70 dB most of the time, rarely around 80 dB. And the clock position on your volume knob tells us nothing. The variable of your gain, and how efficient your speakers are render this information useless.

4. direstraitsfan98

direstraitsfan98 Well-Known Member

I was just listening to travinsky rite of spring at 101db spl peaks. Honestly this recording does not sound right without turning it up that loud.

5. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

How does one get accurate dB readings for headphone listening?

willied likes this.
  6. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I think mid 80s predominantly with peaks to the low 90s is a safe level for the 2-4 hour range which is about the limit of my time constraints anyway. At higher levels the duration of safe exposure drops off quickly. Last night I attended a concert and measured sound levels around 110 dB. That’s only safe for around 1 minute.

I wore Eargasm earplugs for the show and left with no tinnitus at all. It all has to do with level and duration. My mower and snowblower clock in around 90-95 dB. I wear earplugs using them also. Hearing is too precious to risk any more than natural losses IMO.

7. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's a question I can't answer myself. When I use headphones I always keep it at a lower level anyway.

willied and gregorya like this.
  8. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I have my receiver knob at a 2 and 1/3 before going up to 3 when my parents are home. They complain about my music being loud (especially my dad) and that's the volume they don't say anything. When they're not home I take it up to 3 and sometimes 3 and 1/3.

9. epp56

epp56 Forum Resident

on my home system around 60 db (I live in an apartment).
    this morning my son measured the car at 70 db (2014 Toyota, factory system)

10. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Usually I set -15dB Attenuator and 30-28 dB Volume settings on my SA-9900 for CDs in Oppo 103. Usually higher for TT of course. Don't know the actual "loudness" since I guess not only Attenuator and Volume knobs are affecting it.

11. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

What feels comfortable to my ears and (I imagine) to my neighbours.

12. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Since my wife and my children don't share most of my musical taste and prefer TV or web video stuff, my speakers are almost covered with cobwebs. So i'm limited to headphone use. I usually start quite loud and then turn down to the lowest still enjoyable level. It depends on the music where this level is.

13. Red

Red Forum Resident

80-85 mostly.

14. Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering Mastering Engineer

Average around 77dB SPL C weighted slow

Budysr likes this.
  15. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Mostly at lower levels but I do like to Rock out sometimes.

Soundslave and rikki nadir like this.
  16. Loud enough to hear clearly over the background noise, not loud enough to disturb my wife who dislikes most of what I listen to. Often these are conflicting parameters and I just give up. I'm planning to move my sound system to the treehouse as soon as I get it fixed up the way I want it.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    Tim 2 likes this.
  17. MarcoLucius

MarcoLucius New Member

Lound enough to hear clearly, but quiet enough to hear own thoughts)

18. I have no idea how loud i listen to music. I dont have a meter to measure it, but its always loud enough for me to enjoy it. The only thing i listen to at really high volumes is my LP of Made in Japan by Deep Purple. Only too loud will do for that perfect live album!! imo

19. MKHopkins

MKHopkins Break out the Hats and Hooters

If it’s too loud, you’re too old!!!!!!

Budysr and Tim 2 like this.
  20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

about 100 dB.

21. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Thats what I keep telling folks, and I'm 60.

22. Reamonnt

Reamonnt Mr.T

My wife considers anything over 60db to be too loud so I find these days im mostly listening to music nearfield at 50-60db and its fine. If im away from desk then it sounds too low but its fine at the desk. Im using that app now and its between 55db to 65bd listening to Cliffird Brown.

23. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

Early morning and evening I’ll usually keep the volume in the mid to upper 50 dB range. It gets up into the mid to upper 70’s during the day.
    I don’t have any room treatments yet and find that imaging is better at lower volumes in my untreated room. Also, at 52 I just don’t have the urge to “crank it” like I did when I was younger.

24. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Im surprised most only do 65 - 70db on average. According to my phone app its about 75 - 80db on average for me.

Ive read that 80db is fine for a few hours too.

It depends on the music though. Im after faithful reproduction, and most dont consider how important loudness plays into it. If I listen to aucoustic music I want the voice to be like a real person in the room, not a giant between the speakers. And while rock probably needs to be played too loud to enjoy without earplugs I try to match it at least.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    mark_j likes this.
  25. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Now thats too much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.