How Many are for Rehashing Cassettes?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Sep 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

:laugh:

2. Catfish Stevens

Catfish Stevens Forum Resident

I just want to make a technical recommendation that if you decide to check out a decades old tape deck that's been gathering dust to take off the back and check that the belts haven't sagged or hardened from lack of use or temperature fluctuations before putting a tape in to see one hub spinning and the other .... not lol (and yes this is the voice of experience) :doh:

3. Wingman

Wingman Bored of the Rings

Cassettes were once a very valuable tool in pro studio situations. An artist (or even the entire band) could go home after a long days session with cassettes of the days work to refine and critique. Or the keyboard player could have his own preferred rough mix to work out a better part, for example. I recall Bob Seger once leaving a studio with a stack of cassettes with just one song on them. But each tape was marked describing the variation they contained. (Example: "Snare drum, 2 DB down in Bridge").

Fender Relic likes this.
  4. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

:biglaugh:

5. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I'm for anything that moves. If this helps people put out music they like, put it out in a form they like and they enjoy it, and other people enjoy it, and they can sell it then, why not? I have a three-cassette box of Mars live and rehearsal tapes from Spanish label Anòmia. It's nice and perfectly suited to the music. What's inconvenient about playing a cassette, anyway?

If people don't like it they won't buy it. It's not for them. Nobody is asking anyone to 'adopt cassette' purely for releases like this. If it does not suit you, then you can download the files.

Wordworks - Stefan Weisser

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  6. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I ripped quite a few mix cassettes even though I could have easily replicated the song order in a playlist with a ripped file or a download. I then downloaded the rips to my iPod and iPad.

7. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I remember last year shortly after RSD that Zia here in town held a CSD (Cassette Store Day) and just the other day I notice their display of cassettes maybe 300 or 400 titles.

8. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Bingo.:righton:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  9. Psychedelic Good Trip

Remember making hits comps or vinyl to cassette and I would have to fit the times of albums or amount of songs on a side of a cassette big 80's. Calculators or just shear luck.

10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Never liked cassettes, so, no

11. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I really, really tried with cassettes. Different players...Taking great care of the tapes themselves...All to little avail.

I usually have a rose-tinted-glasses approach to things from my youth, but I can’t quite swing it with cassettes.:D

12. Psychedelic Good Trip

In spring 1993 I bought a $750.00 Sony tape deck. Just to record my cds. I loved that deck but once I was able to burn cds with no loss of sound out went that deck sold it. That's the time when burning a cd went about a half hour to burn. Had some good memories with cassettes big 80's all early to mid in that decade.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  13. Psychedelic Good Trip

Hey if people like cassettes that's cool. Some people are still into cassettes nothing wrong there who knows maybe they'll be a revival of cassettes.

mark winstanley and Bobby Morrow like this.
  14. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

I'm for anything physical. Just think, Pretty soon we'll be streaming sex too. "I can't make it home tonight for our date honey,". "That's ok love, we'll just stream it tonight".

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  15. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

I'm pretty surprised that so far I don't see any mention of the main purpose I had for cassettes in the late 80s and early 90s: tape trading. You would send your list of tapes to a potential trader and they would reply with their list and a request for titles you had if they were interested. It was quite a kick and I don't ever recall being burned. Matter of fact there was one guy on the West coast who'd send me tapes with requests that I didn't own and were not on my list. I would tell him and he didn't care. Picked up a few FM broadcasts and soundboard recordings that way. Still have a Technics deck that works, FF is broken and it's a single deck so I can't do any dubbing. Funny how some nostalgia is embraced here while others are cast aside.

16. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

:biglaugh:

steveharris likes this.
  17. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I love how digital people never give up on achieving an analog sound. "It's digital but sounds analog."

Shak Cohen likes this.
  18. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Let's move backwards and forwards at the same time.

steveharris likes this.
  19. Psychedelic Good Trip

YIKES!!:yikes::bigeek:

John Grimes likes this.
  20. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Actually, I do think many who dislike cassettes might even say they HAVE... but actually have NOT REALLY...experienced the sound of a good cassette deck.

21. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

Exactly. Unless you've heard a correctly recorded cassette on a Nakamichi ZX-9, Dragon or other other top end deck, you ain't heard ****

ssmith3046 and DRM like this.
  22. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

Good stuff. What kind of deck you got in the car? And what kind of car?

Huntigula likes this.
  23. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

Honestly, nothing special. Stock system in a 1995 BMW 325i. It has a 6 disc changer that gets almost no attention.

24. Django

Django Forum Resident

What Bobby said...

25. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

Get with it, it's all the rage with the cool kids.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.