How many bands have reunited with the original members and how was the comeback received? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Safeway 1, Jul 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

I thought the reunion didn’t last b/c Tony Hadley left. :shrug:

2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Frank Marino was the only talented member anyway...

3. Power Corruption & Lies

Power Corruption & Lies Well-Known Member

Magazine reformed around 2008/2009 with Devoto, Formula, Adamson and Doyle...obviously the great John McGeoch was unavailable. Produced a decent L and did some great live shows.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  4. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

Of course you can, that's why I mentioned the Beatles. They were having top 40 hits with a dead member singing lead.

imail724 likes this.
  5. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch the Face of God -

That's exactly what I'm saying....:doh:

6. Oatsdad

I still wouldn't call that a "reunion" of the original band since John wasn't actually there.

By that definition, you could edit together clips of the Stones and Chuck Berry doing "Carol" and say Chuck was a member of the Stones! :D

7. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

In Marcus Gray's Clash book there's a quote from Strummer saying that if he and Jones recorded together again, that would legally count as The Clash and would belong to CBS, as a remnant of their original contract from 1977. It took years for all of them to get out of the deal as individuals. Possibly they thought that if they waited a few more years the legalities could be worked in their favour.

It would have happened sooner or later if Strummer had lived, no doubt of that. CBS might have settled for selling some more copies of London Calling when it came time for a 30th or 40th anniversary tour.

Lost In The Flood and Jack Lord like this.
  8. Vincentrifugal

Vincentrifugal Forum Resident

I saw the Once upon a dream show twice, met them too. Good shows but i felt the tension. I see your point. Too bad but they tried. Hopefully made some money.

9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I thought the show I saw was great on every level. They imploded a few months afterward, and I'm sure Little Steven had loads of plans that would have resulted in great music and a big payoff besides. But if they hate each other that much, I'm very glad I got to see them together while I could.

10. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Sadly, nor are Ian and Verden.

wayneklein likes this.
  11. Yeah I was disappointed to hear about Ian’s issue with his hearing. I also had tickets to see the 1974 line up. Sadness.

12. Russ_B66

Russ_B66 Forum Resident

Graham Parker reunited with the Rumour for some cracking live shows and two very good albums.

13. Christian Hill

When AI is Advanced enough to create
    Yes you could do that but nobody has so far and since the Beatles actually had top 40 hits with their two songs with an actual member of the band I still stand by my post. And I don't recall Chuck Berry ever being a member of The Rolling Stones so you're example isn't even legitimate.

If Led Zeppelin released a song with John Bonham on it, utilizing his unreleased recordings, and it was a hit that would count

14. Christian Hill

Define comeback

15. I disagree about The Soft boys album. They also put out an EPAs well as a new album. I thought it was a terrific album myself.

16. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

well

17. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

As I never saw the band in its first run, I was very happy to see The Only Ones live when they had a reunion in 2007-2010 or so. It was very well received by fans and critics. Unfortunately dynamics were not good within the band and Peter Perrett was still using/recovering from drugs. They tried to record a new album but it was aborted.

Unfortunately then ace drummer Mike Kellie died, but the unexpected - this is a man who was near death- silver living is that Peter put out two excellent solo albums when he became healthier, particularly the first one is equal in quality to the best Only Ones songs.

18. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

Stone Temple Pilots reunites in 2000s for touring and released another album, which I personally like. They disbanded again and Weiland unfortunately died later in 2015. They reunited again with another vocalist and released another reportedly great album, which I'm to listen to yet.

As for original vs not original debate, all too many classic "golden" lineups aren't original. Ringo is not an original member - how about that?! Genesis never had original lineup reunited since Tresspass and Phil Collins is not an original member. Pink Floyd reunion was mentioned but it was the "golden age" lineup reunion but not of the original lineup, because no Syd. And Gilmour is not an original member. Etc. Examples of bands retaining original lineups for a long time are not that numerous: U2, Queen, REM, maybe some others.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  19. Paul b

Paul b Forum Resident

Filthy Lucre indeed

20. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

There was the [1982]Temptations Reunion,with Eddie Kendricks and David Ruffin returning..but it didn't last long.

21. Paul b

Paul b Forum Resident

The best touring of this thread.

Cream - RAH and MSG reunion. They could still play fabulously
    Jefferson Airplane - Wonderful to again hear the beautiful vocal blend of Grace/Marty/Paul with Jorma+Jack cranking behind them.
    Sex Pistols - Love Johnny's sneer at Roseland
    Rascals - The live band sounded great on Broadway, but I didn't like the youngsters playing them on video.
    GP + the Rumour - Kicked ass live on the 2 tours and even put out a couple of quite good studio LPs too which none of the above could do.
    Television - Great to hear Verlaine and Lloyd duel again

22. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Threads such as this one get a little ridiculous when it comes to the "original member" debate.

Reasonable people tend to go with the "lineup present on the band's first commercial record release" criterion, which is the most sensible to me. Plenty of bands have various members that have come and gone before they ultimately have a lineup that gels enough to interest a record label. It's at that time that the public at large becomes aware of them for the first time.

And under this criterion, Ringo absolutely qualifies.

BadJack likes this.
  23. Oatsdad

In your opinion. I don't think playing along with a recording of a dead person = "reunion".

John had no choice in the matter. He wasn't there to reunite!

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  24. Oatsdad

As I mentioned upthread, I think there's even some wiggle room with this criteria.

As noted, Neil Peart wasn't in Rush for their first album.

Andy wasn't in the Police when they released their 1st single.

And there are more.

"Band on 1st releases" is usually the best way to go, but there are exceptions! :)

25. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Not to mention using the Rumour horn section on the next album, "Cloud Symbols," which I'd say had more of the old Rumour vibe soundwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.