How many bands have reunited with the original members and how was the comeback received? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Safeway 1, Jul 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zen

zen Senior Member

Asia's reunion generated...Phoenix (2008)...Omega (2010)...XXX (2012).
    Felt great. Only took 25 years, for this (what Steve Howe called) unfinished business to happen!
    R.I.P. John Wetton

2. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

They plugged her guitar in once.

Sorry, only joking. No they didn't.

Atmospheric likes this.
  3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Poor Patti! :laugh:

Well, she was hired purely as a vocalist. Did she tote a guitar on-stage at all 1984-85?

Can't recall if she had a guitar in 1988...

4. Talmi K

Talmi K Forum Resident

After Electrafixion in 1997 all 3 surviving member reformed the band.

hutlock and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  5. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

King Crimson reunited multiple times although it was a revolving door with radically different members for Fripp

The 80s Adrian Belew / Bill Bruford / Tony Levin band did reunite as part of a double trio in the 90s

6. WithinYourReach

WithinYourReach Resident Millennial

Mission of Burma. Reunited in 2002 and gave us four fantastic post-reunion albums before announcing this year they called it quits in 2016. Seems like they had a great time together.

As Roger Miller best put it “We’re definitely one of the weirdest rock bands in the history of rock music. We broke up just before we possibly could have screwed up or even got famous and then we picked up where we left off”. Seems fitting to do it once more.

Jack Lord and Maurice like this.
  7. zen

zen Senior Member

True. I would add the other 80's reunion album "The House of Blue Light" and the 25th anniversary album, "The Battle Rages On (from 1993)."
    I can't imagine life without the other 2 albums by the MKII lineup. Rock on!

Mark Snowden likes this.
  8. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

Re Clash reunion....recently reading the Strummer bio REDEMPTION SONG, one thing I learned is that it's kind of insane there was NOT one....seemed the reason it never happened was pure laziness, the principals seemed totally down (tho Simonon iirc did not want to play at RRHOF.) I think that's a definite. Whether it would have been great or not, who knows, but likely at least a good show to see.

Chance likes this.
  9. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

My Bad:doh:, as was thinking of the rest of their Albums, and 'What Do You Want to Do With Your Life' really comes across as a Mac Solo album to me. Actually did not hear Mac's first 2 Solo Albums until the Reissued 2 CD Sets for them.

10. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

I too have some love for those later mk ii reunions, tho I kinda get people who don't love them. But to me STRANGERS is unambigiously song-for-song the best thing that version or any version of DP ever did, every track a pleasure and a winner, nothing too lumbering or dull, just sharp powerful hard rock with a winning pop edge throughout.

Spaghettiows and Instant Dharma like this.
  11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

KISS in 1996-2000 - The Reunion Tour 96-97 did huge business pretty much everywhere it went.

squittolo, ARK, Cachiva and 2 others like this.
  12. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Was Slowdive yet mentioned? They reunited in 2014 for a Tour and released a New Album in 2017.

Maurice and hutlock like this.
  13. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Les Pattinson was also back on board for the original reunion, but left after a few years. Considering the original drummer was a drum machine, I guess this qualifies as a full reunion.

adadad and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  14. hutlock

Indeed they were. That album is fantastic.

Ride, however, has not been mentioned. Nor has Swervedriver or Lush. House of Love too.

15. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

I don't know what you mean by "official," but Patti was a full time member of the band on the BITUSA and TOL tours.

Cachiva likes this.
  16. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Elvis Costello and The Attractions reunited after an 8 year hiatus and released two albums - Brutal Youth (released as an Elvis Costello album, but featuring five tracks with the full EC&TA line-up) and All This Useless Beauty - and did a few tours. While I found Brutal Youth underwhelming, I consider All This Useless Beauty to be one of EC's best albums. I was fortunate enough to catch all five nights of their Beacon Theater stand in 1995 when they premiered material from that album.

veloso2 likes this.
  17. georgespigott

georgespigott You fill me with inertia.

Ride has come out with some excellent music since their reunion. Saw them live and they rocked. True shoegazers, they were not much on stage presence, but sonically they were great.

18. hutlock

I saw them the first time around on the tour for Going Blank Again — they weren’t much on stage presence back then either! But yeah, some strong albums for sure.

zither and georgespigott like this.
  19. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Don't think anybody's said Phish yet. 4 1/2 year hiatus after v2.0, and since then v3.0 has been pulling in huge numbers for 10 years now.

When I first saw the thread title, I immediately thought Velvets, Slowdive and Television. Good to see them getting much love.

ARK likes this.
  20. Emerald Bar

Emerald Bar Forum Resident

The original lineup of Black Sabbath reunited in the late nineties for a series of gigs. I was lucky enough to catch the band at the Birmingham NEC, Christmas 1999. They were all on top form.

sons of nothing and GoodKitty like this.
  21. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Blur. Reunited in 2009, had some successful concerts and a well received reunion album in 2015.

veloso2 likes this.
  22. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Neil Codling, who also joined at the same time as Oakes, isn't on A New Morning, so for Suede that's debatable.

23. spinyn

spinyn Senior Member

The Jefferson Airplane reformed in 1989 with Grace and Kenny Aronoff on drums and toured. I saw the show at the Fillmore and in Golden Gate Park and enjoyed it a lot. The record they put out was weak and that was that but it was a fun reminder of better days.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  24. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

Simon and Garfunkel's 1981 concert in central park reunion was a huge success.

ARK and Headfone like this.
  25. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

They actually were pretty successful during the Brian Howe years.

Trader Joe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.