How many bands have reunited with the original members and how was the comeback received? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Safeway 1, Jul 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

Not sure if it's been mentioned (I'm too tired now, sorry),
    but The Dictators, with D.F.F.D., in 2001, first album since 1978.
    Different drummer, but they went through many.
    Incredible album, maybe one of the best comebacks ever.
    They stayed together too long after though - it should have all ended in 2008 (as it really did).

2. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

They are "additional musicians"
    The Band » Bruce Springsteen

Oatsdad likes this.
  3. Cachiva

Cachiva Forum Resident

I'm here! I'm here! A little late, but I'm here!

Once the Bee Gees got back together in late 1970, they went on to conquer the decade.

Here is the notorious/glorious You Should Be Dancing/Smoke on the Water mashup:

4. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

The album was absolutely wonderful but it seemed like no one bought or heard it....only a few of us, I guess.

DJ LX likes this.
  5. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

A very underrated album for sure

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

If they'd never had a set lineup other than F&B, I'd be more inclined to agree that F&B = SD's "original lineup", but outside of Palmer, they had a consistent band the 1st 2 albums.

So that = "original band", IMO.

I mean, you can argue Frey and Henley = Eagles under the same thought process, and I still wouldn't agree... :shrug:

7. Oatsdad

A) Not really a "reunion", as they never officially broke up.
    B) Not the original lineup, as Brian Jones was still dead.

8. Oatsdad

The list of non-reunions period is small, but the list of bands who reunited but didn't bring back the original members is much longer.

Like Eagles - big reunion in 1994, but only 2 of the original 4 members participated.

I agree that and GnR = "legit reunions", but they're still not with the original members...

9. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I know. But they had almost 3 decades to try, and didn’t, so I don’t think it would’ve happened anyways.

10. walrus

it still counts. “Classic members” is a better term than “original members” in many cases.

Jmac1979 likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

I thought so!

It's funny how through the 70s and much of the 80s, bands weren't precious about formally replacing members. The Stones, the Who, E Street, the Eagles, the Kinks, etc. - if someone left (or died), the new person was an official band member.

I think once these acts became "legacy artists", though, most got more protective of that image and wanted to preserve the notion of who's a band member in amber.

The Who didn't formally replace Kenney Jones with an official member in 1989, and the Stones didn't make Darryl Jones an official member after Wyman quit.

Interesting that E Street is now down to only one original member: Garry!

12. Oatsdad

Just saying that the OP wants original members for this thread. You can rock out to GnR on stage in 2021 all you want - it's still not the original band! :D

ARK and nodeerforamonth like this.
  13. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I was at their Miami stop. Sting was in great form (and voice). Summers & Copeland did not disappoint. It was an excellent show from my pov.

ARK likes this.
  14. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch the Face of God -

Spandau Ballet. All original members but of course Gary Kemp fumbled it all up so the band got dissolve.

15. Oatsdad

I saw the 2007-08 Police reunion and enjoyed it - obviously. Be kinda dumb to see them 12 times and not enjoy it! :D

Though I have committed myself to tours sight unseen and run the risk I'll have tickets to 10+ shows for a tour I don't enjoy. I saw Macca 10 times in spring 2002 and admit I had some fatigue by the end.

However, that was 10 shows across barely a month, whereas Police was 12 shows over about 13 months.

I also had them in batches of 4. 4 summer 2007, 4 fall 2007, 4 summer 20078. Less chance of burnout when they're spaced out like that! :)

16. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

WoW. Are you THE Ticketmaster?! :winkgrin:

17. Spastica

Spastica Run aground on the floor for you....

Reminds me of my aunt's classic quote....

"I'm not long for this world..."

She's been saying it for 30 years.

18. Oatsdad

Don't call me that - Pearl Jam will threaten to boycott me! ;)

JohnQVD and Michael Rose like this.
  19. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

I was at the same stop and I agree. My wife skipped out because it was so expensive, but I thought it was worth every penny.
    Also, there’s the money aspect of it. By the time those bands are 20 years in, they’re making a lot of money off of the stuff they’ve already done and don’t necessarily want to share it with the bass player they hired for the live show.

Also also, it’s not always obvious who’s an official member. Richard Reinhardt left the Ramones because he was frustrated that they wouldn’t make him a band member. He’s listed as a member on the records. He wrote songs for the band. His name was on the T-shirts. But he’d tell you that he didn’t see any money from those shirts because that money was split between the band members (aka owners of the company) and he was paid a wage.

Lost In The Flood and Oatsdad like this.
  20. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

On those songs it sounded like then three remaining Beatles singing along to a crudely recorded cassette of their fallen member.

Lost In The Flood and ARK like this.
  21. walrus

I don’t think people often realize that the lineups they fell in love with aren’t 100% original (Eagles, Yes, Fleetwood Mac, hell, Neil Peart isn’t an original member, technically). So the nomenclature matters.

Gn’R is a weird case, but then again, this is the same number of original members that did most of the Illusion tour, and that didn’t seem to hinder its success. It’s not their fault Izzy is a strange panda who prefers to stay mostly secluded.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  22. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Since Izzy is an original member and he's not in the "reunion", it is not a reunion with all original members. Same for Steven Adler. Thus, Guns & Roses should not get a mention in this thread. At all.

23. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I realized the error of my ways shortly after the edit feature was gone. Don't know how I forgot about guys like Skunk Baxter, I guess have Fagen and Becker in my head as the band.

Glad you corrected me, I read an article saying that period wasn't a high mark, but I'm not familiar with it at all.

Lost In The Flood and Oatsdad like this.
  24. Of course it did. As I mentioned, it was sort of kind of a reunion.

Lost In The Flood and zebop like this.
  25. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Well I do think it depends on the status of the band. If it's all about endless cashgrab tours, no... but if the band is still a forward-thinking studio entity, they should bring the new guy in as an official member. Hugh McDonald has been an "official member" of Bon Jovi since 2016 but was unofficial between 1994-2016, which is kind of crappy because he'd been in the band twice as long as Alec Jon Such by the time they added him officially.. Plus Bon Jovi were still in a hitmaking period when he "unofficially joined" and less than ten years removed from their biggest success, though I think bringing him in as an official member was the right thing to do given he'd given them over 20 years and had been involved with the band during successful albums, tours and singles that he'd "earned" his place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.