How Many LPs is Enough?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by theflattire, Sep 20, 2022.

1. Johnny Ryall

Johnny Ryall Forum Resident

Ikea is not gold but they placed that piece of furniture on the wrong side

Crimson Witch likes this.
  2. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Well, I'm done.

I mean I'm not actually done.....your never "done". There will always be something major, like a new Stones album or Dylan might actually release Bootleg 17 TOOM...there will always be a select few artists whom you will continue to pick up new releases...but interms of feverish collecting, it has been slowing down considerably these past few years and I think I finally accept that its done. The shelves are full and beyond. I have everything I ever knowingly wanted, there is no place else to put anything any more and I really really enjoy what I have and enjoy listening to it.

I actually have no idea how many albums I have, but I know its enough.

I thank Neil Young for this: for finally releasing Time Fades Away on CD and providing me closure.

pinkrudy likes this.
  3. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

As many as one wants.

I figure I'm going to end up in the 200 range
    I'm at ~140 currently
    This may change when I have more time to listen. Now about 8-12 lp's per week.

I have another 300 CD's ripped

4. theMot

theMot Forum Resident

Sounds like you need a cuddle, friend.

5. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

8 is enough, really. though i currently have 3000

Johnny Ryall likes this.
  6. RJD1954

RJD1954 Forum Resident

I used to buy religiously. Had about 1000 LPs.

Got rid of them all and bought all that I could on CD thru the years.

Kept about 500cds for the car, got rid of all other CDs.

Went back and bought all that I could find again on vinyl.

Wife thinks I’m nuts.

Who am I to disagree. Though I do find I often cull.

Sell or throw away those I don’t really enjoy anyone.

Funny how my tastes have changed I guess. For example, I used to ADORE everything by WILCO. Now everything up to Yankee Foxtrot I have kept. Everything post- gone. So I’m down to about 500 vinyls now and 500cds

Really only buy box sets now, with stuff from the earlier days, that give me outtakes etc.

7. Johnny Ryall

Johnny Ryall Forum Resident

8. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

If I were to just stop buying I'm sure it would go down but I haven't. I used to say for every record I buy, I need to sell one but that didn't last long. I've had over 800 listed on discogs, about 350 sold so far but at some point I'm not going to want to get rid of much more. I think I just have to accept that the collection will continue to creep up as long as I continue to buy.

pinkrudy and negative1 like this.
  9. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

You are so right , every album released on vinyl after the advent of the CD age has been a big disappointment, even the Bowie half speed masters and the Muse albums on vinyl sound much better on CD, now if you’re talking about 70s Bowie albums that is a completely different matter !

idledreamer and Glenn coates like this.
  10. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Always a few more than I already have.

negative1 and Freddy's Dead like this.
  11. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

Buy double albums then

12. Nakamichi

Nakamichi The iceage is coming....

I've got about 1,000 and its way too many.
    Most of them I never listen to.Some, I've never listened to. I just bought them because they were very cheap. I just keep them for the hell of it but I don't actually need them.
    I've probably only got about 50 that I listen to regularly.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
    Glenn coates likes this.
  13. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Forum Resident

I keep my collection between 600-800 LPs. The limiting factor is how much shelving I want to donate to the cause. I periodically offload a few if I'm running out of space. Every couple of years I set out to listen to everything I have systematically...that process always reveals a few I don't want any more, and inspires me to buy others.

theflattire likes this.
  14. FramboGND

FramboGND Givin' it all

Is an aspiration........................ to get down to maybe next year :sweating:

15. steviej

steviej Forum Resident

I've kept my collection to be around 250 records for years. Whenever it starts looking like things are getting cramped on the shelf, I pull out a handful of albums to sell. This keeps things feeling fresh and it seems like a great balance of "I have lots of variety to listen to," "I have lots of great records - no filler," and "this doesn't take up too much space in my house." Digital-wise, I've been streaming for over a decade and have no plans on getting back into physical side of things on the digital front.

ilhuicamiztli and pinkrudy like this.
  16. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

i picked 1,000 but i'm at 3-4 thousand i think.

i think 10,000 would cover it, but thats about 5 years away at my current rate.

then i would have all the US, UK and major foreign releases for the bands that i like,
    (including promos, variants, special editions, etc)

later
    || | | | ||
    ne gative 1

SJP likes this.
  17. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Just one more...

18. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

I got about 1700. and i feel done. though as long as youre living a love music you are never really done.

i feel i know every single record in my collection without needing discogs to know if i own it. i can find any lp i want to hear in a matter of seconds. so i feel 1500 is mangeable and fine.

however i only have 5 jazz/jazz fusion records. just sold all my miles davis last week. just not a fan of jazz.

i have 2 reggea/dub albums. 0 punk. 10 or 15 post punk. 0 classical. sold all my classical last year.

So i can only imagine someone who loves all genres?? jazz classical rock punk..everything! it could be double triple what i have.

so the answer could be 3,000 or more for some people.

Greenalishi and Grootna like this.
  19. zbarbera

zbarbera A stereo's a stereo. Art is forever!

That’s my problem. I can find something to like in just about any genre. It’s a dangerous thing to be sure :)

20. ilhuicamiztli

ilhuicamiztli Forum Resident

I could have written that! :p

I'm at about 250 right now and have already selected a few to sell later this week. I have a large digital collection and a Qobuz subscription, so my vinyl collection is only my favourite albums. A few years ago i worked out that ~250 would be the sweet spot for me based on my listening rate, so that i get to listen to each record on average once a year. I figured that if i don't get around to listen to a vinyl record at least once in 2-3 years, there is no point owning it and a digital version of that album will do instead.

Queezma and steviej like this.