How many of "Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums" would make YOUR "500 Most Played Albums"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by If I Can Dream_23, Sep 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes. That's why I never understood the hate heaped on the list. The magazine itself didn't make the list but, rather, a very wide sum of music journalists, writers, musicians, etc. I'm not saying that their combined views are any more gospel than anyone's else's, but it is a broad summation of different people in the industry. It's not like the lone editor just sat down one night and posted personal favorites under the name of the magazine.

That said, I still only came up with 100 that would make my own "500 Most Played".

mschrist likes this.
  2. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

I don't understand all this negativity. What do you expect from it ? The holy grail ?
    It's normal that it can deviate a whole lot from your own top 500. Do we all have to love the same music ?

mianfei, Mathew and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  3. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

4. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

That's also a lot !

In the end the list is not that bad and quite spot on when reading all of the answers here !

qm1ceveb and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  5. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

You say it's only 100.
    I could argue 20% is a high percentage.

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  6. Tartifless

45 is already a lot.

7. If I Can Dream_23

Yes, I suppose so. I guess it just depends on what you expected before counting. I was guessing it might have been closer to 150-200 for me.

8. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Kinda makes it more difficult to nail down the criteria.

9. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

It may allegedly be the work of a "very wide sum" of people, yet somehow none of the usual "Rolling Stone Hates Prog" bands like Yes, Genesis, or King Crimson got even one LP in there, among *five hundred* records.

My gripe with this sort of thing is not the idea of any list as much as how the Rolling Stone list always reflects this odd sort of "These Are The Records That Have Been Deemed Cool In Our Aging Hip Culture" collection.

10. Tartifless

It's funny how a lot of people criticize this list.
    I am pretty sure if we asked every SHF members to make a top list we would be pretty close to the RS list when doing totals !

11. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Agreed. Inevitably they would get a few of them right. :)

12. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

hard to truly say not using iTunes or any sort of program that actually keeps track but honestly probably less than 15. I was almost ready to say 0 but some favorites started popping up. a good number of artists I like a lot are on there but the albums from them I listen to most not represented.

13. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

14. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Tend to agree with artists in the album era e.g. there's no reason for Bob Marley & Wailers Legend when Exodus, Natty Dread, Catch A Fire & Burnin' are already in the list.

But with, for example, rock 'n' roll and early blues artists it's more difficult.

It can be argued that this is a list of best albums so if you don't have an original album that makes the list that's tough. But hen it leaves out some of the greatest musical artists.

15. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

About 40. I'm familiar with almost all of those albums, and am frankly surprised that a lot of them would make any "best" list. I guess that's why I don't read Rolling Stone

16. If I Can Dream_23

An EP must be somewhere on the list! :D

17. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

18. If I Can Dream_23

That could be, although I'm more prone to thinking it's simply the 500 albums most loved or most bought on average by a fairly wide majority. At least the majority polled. I always just took Rolling Stone's list to be merely "one of many", no more or no less definitive. Any 500 list will merely reflect the average tastes of only those who were polled.

19. redfloatboat

redfloatboat Forum Resident

I play 7 out of the first 200 albums mentioned, however those 7 are not among my most played records, i simply own them.
    The Clash? Totally overrated imo.

20. Mathew

Mathew Forum Resident

Not many. Maybe a dozen? The vast majority are from artists I'm not interested in, but overall it's a very thorough list with few surprises. The inclusion of Janet Jackson's Velvet Rope is interesting....I believe 1993's janet is a much better album - I'll have to give both of these some scrutiny.

This list is also 15 years old. Lots of great records have been made since 2003.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  21. 9 Volt

9 Volt That cat's something I can't explain

Honestly, only 5 out of 500. And I'd gladly trade the other 495 for Hounds Of Love, which is conspicuously missing from this list.

mianfei and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  22. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Id guess a solid 250 or 300 of the albums i own and enjoy but a solid 92 get what I would consider regular playback.

23. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

I don't know. I've participated in any number of polls on SHF - favorites from practically every year from '60 thru last year and the results are normally never even close from member to member. Which means there are an amazing variety of tastes here, which is great. I know I've found some good music from other people's lists.

24. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Looks like probably 50 or 60. Does that mean I'm almost 90% out of touch?

25. 9 Volt

9 Volt That cat's something I can't explain

No, you're out of touch if you chose 90% of the albums on this list.

rodentdog, Mathew and Culpa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.