How many of you keep it simple? At least fairly simple?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by csgreene, Nov 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. somnar

somnar Senior Member

CD player (Naim CD5si) > integrated amp (Tandberg 3012a) > speakers (B&W Matrix 2, Series II)

2. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident

Nice. I'd recommend a Bluesound Node 2i.

stanley00 and ALAN SICHERMAN like this.
  3. ALAN SICHERMAN

ALAN SICHERMAN Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx, NY

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely check it out.

4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Until the Leema Stream CD player arrived a few months ago, my system was a pair of Quad actives and a Cambridge Audio 752BD universal player.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  5. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I have gone to separates so I’m probably not in the “simplicity” category as you defined it. I just want to weigh in and say for pure musical satisfaction my first serious stereo delivered far beyond what it cost in financial investment. I’d say it gave me more joy than any system I’ve owned besides my current set up.

It consisted of a Pioneer SA-9100 integrated amp, Thorens TD 160 Turntable with a Grado cartridge and a pair of AR-14 speakers. It was strung together with lamp cord from the hardware store and the basic interconnects that came with the system. That set up was totally involving and all I did was play albums one after another and bask in the music.

I guess I got greedy and wanted something more. :)

6. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

Currently listening to my bathroom system …….Apple I phone , donated by Granddaughter ,Google Audio Chrome $20 , Denon Mini System c 05, $50 [ great bargain from a thrift store , speakers pretty good but I picked up a pair of Yamaha's for $10 a few months ago [ don't make me get out of the bath to look at the model number!] Total cost $80 plus Tidal subscriptions.
    Yes , I am a tight …….. old beggar and am rightly proud of it !

SandAndGlass and ALAN SICHERMAN like this.
  7. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

The "bathroom system"-- I love it! Remember whatshername in Holmby Hills with the gift wrapping room? :)

8. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

Glad you quoted my post …. What is Holmby Hills ! and don't you all have a bathroom system !

timind likes this.
  9. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

It's sorta fancy Beverly Hills-Bel Air- Holmby Hills. Think of the Beverly Hillbillies and you got it. Anyway, it was Aaron Spelling's daughter- remember him?- big producer- she had a gift wrapping room.

10. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

LM211ia, LM215CD, RP6, FonoMM, Cornwalls. That simple.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

CD Player, Integrated, Speakers

12. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

Still simple but upgraded:
    Cambridge Audio Topaz SR20 stereo receiver
    Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary Speakers
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Sonos Connect

13. dwm67

dwm67 Forum Resident

My recently created bedroom system is simple compared to the main one :)

Bluesound Node 2i
    Pioneer Elite universal player
    Proceed AVP2/AMP5
    Totem speakers

14. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Let's go back a couple more years....
    [​IMG]

classicrocker likes this.
  15. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

90's Denon 50w receiver, Denon direct-drive table, w/ DL-110 cart, Hagerman Bugle pre-amp. 30 year old Klipsch Heresy speakers, nice stack of records = ROCK AND ROLL!! :cool::agree::righton:

16. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

Simple in basics but I've made it complicated. I use only Red book CD.

So, CD Transport, DAC, Power Amp, Speakers. No pre-amp, the DAC has a volume control.

I've made it complicated by adding a power regenerator and fancy cables from which all the gear gets it's electricity; room treatment and a digital equaliser (sitting between the transport and DAC) for correcting the room; a sophisticated rack with isolation shelves and feet for all the gear.

In terms of finance, three fifths on the basics, two fifths on what some might call tweaks.

17. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Next to my audiophile system I have a vintage AM-FM tube radio.
    My son has Bose 201 series III wood cabinet (not plastic cabinet) speakers with an Axiom tweeter upgrade, a 10" Dayton sub and a SMQL Q5 40 watts per channel Class D amp with sub out a built-in USB 192 kHz/24 bit DAC input for digital downloaded music. Simple, sounds good.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  18. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I like to keep things simple as well. I've had enough of all the wires, humming and radio frequency interference that go with more complex systems. I will never buy another amp without a decent built in phono stage.

My main system consists of a Rega Planar 6, Oppo 105 for digital formats, a Rega Elicit with a built in phono stage and 2 Gemme Audio speakers.

19. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

I'm gonna start a glossy coffee table magazine called Balls Deep Audiophile.

JimSpark likes this.
  20. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I don’t see how that could fail.

timind and PopularChuck like this.
  21. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Worked out ok for Schiit

timind likes this.
  22. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Of course, simplicity is my mantra.

[​IMG]

PopularChuck, Dennis0675 and timind like this.
  23. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Marantz 2225 receiver
    Technics SL-1200 mk2 turntable with Shure M97xE cartridge
    Bose Acoustimass 3 speakers (circa 199o)

My CDs get played in the car.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  24. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Most of my music listening is done in my Jeep GC to and from work. I paid extra to get the best factory system available. It is a decent sounding system.

At home, half the time I listen to music on 2 bluetooth portable speakers linked in stereo or on a Bose SoundDock 10 while doing chores and the other half playing vinyl over my 9.2 HT system from the family room while cooking so not in the same room as my system.

The system is basic, at least compared to others here, just a HT receiver, turntable, vintage Stanton/ Pickering cartridges and (hated here) Bose speakers.

No MC cartridge, tube amp, esoteric speakers, expensive cables or wall sockets.

I will admit that if I had the discretionary income I would try tube gear and fancier speakers but this works for me for now. At least until my daughter's grow up and are self sufficient.

25. Scratcha

Scratcha Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.