How many of you stay for the end credits in the theater?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by evillouie, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Haven't read this thread. If the movie is good, I stay, if not, I bail.

rebellovw and David Campbell like this.
  2. HJP

HJP Senior Member

I guess it would all depend on what movie I’m watching.

3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

It definitely depends. Marvel, absolutely. Other movies? I'm googling that as soon as the text-only credits start, then we'll see.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Remembered two other reasons I would stay. If I liked the music (da Vinci Code) or if someone I know worked on the film. Always like to see friends and family on the big screen.

In the old days of the 1970s and 80s I would stay to the end regardless, sort of unwinding in place. The credits have grown so weird now that it actually bugs me (the catering people, the Teamster drivers?)

apesfan, Witchy Woman, Vidiot and 2 others like this.
  5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I usually stay to the end. Sometimes it's the bitter end, though. And who knows, maybe I'll catch an Easter egg like a clip of an upcoming movie. Or see the places where it was filmed if the scenery looks interesting.

And very rarely I have a connection to something in the credits....

lightbulb likes this.
  6. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Used to, but now they're too long.

If there's an orchestral score playing, I'll stay until it becomes a pop song.

7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

we usually stay.

that way the bathrooms are empty by the time we get there.

John B Good and arley like this.
  8. I stay if:

1) friends/family were part of the production and I try and see their names in the credits
    2) if the play-out music is good
    3) if there’s a bonus scene

carrick doone likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I kinda feel like I should read the end credits out of respect for the people who worked on the film, but I usually don't.

Honestly, though, it'd be a somewhat pointless gesture, as it's not like their names will be emblazoned in my memory, and it's not like they're gonna KNOW I read their names.

It's like clapping at my local multiplex - no one who made the movie will be aware it got applause.

But I would read the credits if I actually knew some of the people like you do - that'd be more interesting!

10. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Unless I hated the movie, I always stay for the end credits. I enjoy the information, and it just feels like it completes the experience.

Vidiot likes this.
  11. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I tend to stay through the cast credits, if the main credits are at the end of the film (as opposed to just the scrolling ones). I’m usually curious about how the actors are billed.

12. bassordrum?

bassordrum? Forum Resident

Stay to the end. I pays my money and I takes my chances.

Vidiot likes this.
  13. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

14. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Nope, the movie is over and the bathroom awaits.

15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

99% of the time i can usually anticipate the film’s ending, so out the door first..exit stage left.

16. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I never leave until the very end. I actually like to at least scan the credits for anything of interest (although the amount of interest has decreased somewhat as credits have gotten longer and longer), and I'd rather relax in my seat instead of trying to get out of the theater at the same time as everyone else. I've quit going to the movies with people before because they insist on jumping up and practically racing for the door as soon as the credits roll.

My wife never used to stay for the credits before we met, but it didn't take me very long to convince her otherwise soon after we started dating.

Vidiot likes this.
  17. JackBnimble

JackBnimble Forum Resident

Always stay. Sometimes there is an extra scene sometimes some funny stuff in the credits, like in the Naked Gun movies, Ferris Bueller in the shower telling everyone to go home. But even if there isn't stay anyway, I like to see who did what where it was filmed etc. Find myself watching credits on TV too and it annoys the hell out of me when some stations minimize the credits while showing something else.

lightbulb likes this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I have to admit, if the movie really sucks, I'm outta there. But... if I know people who worked on it, I feel obligated to stay and see their names in the credits, though I grumble the entire time.

My joke for years has been, "you can always tell how big a show is just by the number of drivers in the end credits." I noticed that Stranger Things had 60 drivers listed, which is by far more than any TV show I've ever heard of. That was a big, big, big show.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Dan C likes this.
  19. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

I always stay. And at home I let the credits run. I may not read every word, but the existing film structure wishes to note the people who participated, and I think that has some worth even though I may favor the old school approach of (a lesser degree of ) information being presented during creative title sequences with no post film credits. Anyway, I paid for the entire movie, I like to see the full extent of it.

On a pragmatic level, sitting through the credits allows the theater to clear of the people who think participating in a mad dash to the parking lot will somehow free them from the complications of everybody making a dash for the parking lot at the same time. Waiting also allows the rest rooms to empty. The only problem may be the people who stand and malinger in the next row closer to the screen who seem to believe that since they don't wish to read the credits, the people whose view of the screen the standers obscure also have no desire to see the screen.

But as others in the thread have mentioned, the credits give information on the music played during the presentation and credits (and has resulted in me purchasing music I liked but had been unaware of), learn the locations filming took place, have given me an idea if film or digital photography was used for the production. Given me an idea of where work progressed for animation and special effects (not so much the U.S. as things stand), and given me some idea of the scope of the participation needed to actually make a modern motion picture. And if I can learn through the credits who filled the role of "stunt neighbor" (yes, I actually saw something like that once, though I could be lightly paraphrasing), so very much the better.

JackBnimble and brownie61 like this.
  20. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I live in Berlin and most people here stay for the end credits. If people do get up, then it’s slowly and quietly, after a while. For me, it’s a way of showing the movie some respect (whether I liked it or not), and, as you said, linger on in the movie’s atmosphere and reflect on what I just saw. I definitely feel that I’ve done more than “consume” if I allow myself a last bit of contemplation at the end.

21. If my son is working on the film i always stay. Its nice for me to see his name on the credits. If he is not on the film it is very rare i stay.

22. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

My wife and I always stay till the credits quit rolling. We like to read them and it lets everyone get out and gone. A final trip to the bathroom and the parking lot is ours.

23. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

I'll stay if I know there's something to watch.
    (Perhaps) interestingly here in Japan I would say 95% of people stay to the absolute death and until the lights come on regardless of the film, which changes the dynamic - since the toilets etc are empty if you leave early!

24. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

On the other extreme I’m bemused by the people who get up and leave as soon as the villain gets killed.

25. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

If you didn't stay through the end credits of "Super 8", you missed the completed home
    made horror movie the kids were making at the beginning of the film. And it was great....

j_rocker, JackBnimble and Dan C like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.