How many skips do you have on your vinyl playback?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Andrea_Bellucci, Aug 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

I might get one “skip” every year or two. Usually it’s from a used record and not one from my own collection. Usually it goes right in the trash afterwards.

2. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

1000 M- LPs - Zero skips.

(NOS) 1980 Ortofon M20Fl 'Super' cart. 100 +/- hrs on it. (Love this cart!)

I couldn't deal with skips.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    CCrider92 likes this.
  3. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

CCrider92 likes this.
  4. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I've no memory of the last time I've had a record skip - perhaps decades ago.

Beet likes this.
  5. Andrea_Bellucci

Andrea_Bellucci Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi Guys!

After going through your post I think I have an issue with my laminate floor.

I'm still very suprised how few to zero skips everyone has. I thought it is normal getting skips from time to time - but I'm still learning. :)

So I will go and buy a new - more stable - rack in the future to have less skipping probs.

Wall-Mounting is not an option as my turntable is about 25kg.

Thanks all for your advice.

Bye Andrea :wave:

6. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

7. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Can you damage the stylus by doing this?

8. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

Of course there should be no problems to find fasteners for a wall mounting 25kg.
    I lived in a old house from 1922 and mounting on the wall was the rescue for my TT experience. When the floor was very unstable.

There is info for number of kg depending on what type of wall and screws you use. That you need to pay attention to.

Good luck!:righton:

9. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Normally there should be no skips, unless there's a scratch or dirt on the record. If skips occur on a regular basis with clean and scratch free records, there could be something wrong with the tonearm mount or antiskating. The cartridge should have no influence.

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  10. timind

timind phorum rezident

Skips only on records with defects caused from whatever. I use vintage turntables FWIW. And most of the records I play are between 40-50 years old.

11. Jeffreylee

Jeffreylee Rock 'n' Roll Typist

25kg is not heavy. The cheapest Pro-Ject wall shelf holds 30kg. A really good wall shelf, such as one from Target (the British audio company, not the department store) or Solidsteel, will support 59kg. I'm not sure why you keep saying things are impossible before doing the most basic search for information.

12. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I don't keep LPs that skip. I have maybe 1 skip every couple months with a used record and that record (unless really hard to find) goes in the sell/get rid of pile.

Properly aligned and balanced, and playing cleaned records, you shouldn't get skips if you have a decent turntable.

Just to add, OP, I use the same cart as you, but with an elliptical stylus. I track between 1.85 to 1.9 grams and will also add that this cart I've found to be absolutely fantastic at tracking.

13. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Perhaps, I honestly don't know and I should add that I would not suggest anyone do this, based on my post. With that said, I did use a spare "beater" needle and it did in fact work - skip gone!

In other cases, I used a magnifying glass to identify something stuck in the groove. I picked it out with a wooden tooth pick. Skip gone, but I was left with a "shoosh" sound in that same area.

Andrea_Bellucci and Chris Schoen like this.
  14. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Absolutely none. I agree with @timztunz, it sounds like an anti-skate issue.

timztunz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.