How Many Songs Did Frank Sinatra Record ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tina_UK, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Julian Alt

Julian Alt New Member

Hoping someone sees this...I'm searching for a recording of "Walkin' My Baby Back Home" by Frank Sinatra. Haven't been able to find this anywhere, but I'm told it absolutely was recorded by him. None of the lists I've found online include this track. Help?? Thanks!

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

He never recorded it. The only known performance was on his first weekly television series, The Frank Sinatra Show on CBS-TV, March 17, 1951 (St. Patrick's Day). See the following links for details:
    A kinescope of this program must exist (and it may have once been available on a commercial VHS video), which is where the song list in the third link above probably originated. I can find only one audio release, on a no-label collector's CD titled "Sinatra Sings: Rare Songs 1943-1951." The song length is 1:47.

I don't have a copy of the track, and I have no idea where to find one. Sorry.

P.S. Versions by Nat Cole and Dean Martin are readily found, but not by Frank.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
    DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  3. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

I would say Bing Crosby and Ella Fitzgerald recorded more than Sinatra and definitely Tony Bennett.

4. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I don't know about Bing, but Ella released 1117 different song titles, including non-studio tracks. I don't know how many of those were studio recordings, but compared to Frank's count of under 1000, she probably had the edge.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  5. Sean Verneau

Sean Verneau Forum Resident

Hi,

Last year there was a thread going about a very simple question? How many different songs did Frank Sinatra record?

A pretty simple question that in the last thread had no real answer. Apparently there is an out of print WOW CD that had over 50,000 listings or some such thing....there are books by Silva, Ed O'Brien, Ackelson, Mustazza...

Websites, chiefly those at Sinatraology, Wikipedia, Jazz Discography, and a couple others. There are also books 30-40 years old, long before he retired, that collected some information (the highlight, so I am told, never seen it, is Marcucci, but the few pages I have seen online seems rather hard to follow, and is not complete besides (I think the last published one was in the early 1980s).

My goal, for those readers who might recall my posting from earlier, is to get (on CD) one copy of each song Sinatra ever released. The number of songs I came up with is 1227 (though I am told some of those include songs that were done in private and not commercially released, bootlegs and others). The books I have used the most (listed above) do not list more than 1000 songs.

The Sinatra Family Website (now defunct) had their own list, but unnumbered (around 1100 if I remember correctly). I have kept searching online for any new pages I might have missed, but do not see anything new.

So to put this altogether, very simply: does anyone have, or know how to get, a numbered list of all the songs Sinatra recorded and released? In other words, if you wanted to check on your own Sinatra collection of songs and try to see if you had any missing songs, where would you turn to find out?

As discussed in the last forum post, some songs were only done couple times live and never recorded in studio (All By Myself) and other songs have only been released in budget or overseas collections (I think Golden Earrings might be one) that is not listed in most books I own, but clearly were recorded (and unofficially released) by others (not Sinatra Family approved, I gathered).

So I guess that is why it gets a little sticky. If anyone has any information to share on it, I would be thankful. I would also like to know if the Sinatra Family Discography has appeared anywhere....I have the chronological list, but the alphabetical list would be better for me (I remember they had both on the site, but only have found a copy of the chronological). Many thanks if you have that to share.

It seems that there is never going to be a definitive answer to this question, though I think I can get closer to where I am with your help. So to kind of repeat:

You have your own Sinatra collection...records, box sets, CDs, live recordings....you have taken the time to list all the songs part of your collection. You want to know if you have all the songs he recorded and released....

What do you do?

Ridin'High likes this.
  6. OlBlueEyesFan80

OlBlueEyesFan80 Forum Resident

Get comfortable with inexactitude, perhaps?

7. jtsjc1

jtsjc1 Forum Resident

I have a very large Frank Sinatra collection so if I was going to try and list all the songs I would use a few different sources. None are very recent and the absence of the FS discography from the SFF doesn't help.

1. Songs By Sinatra by Tom Rednour
    2. Sinatra: The Man And His Music by Ed O'Brien
    3. Put Your Dreams Away by Luis Silva

Again none of these claim to be definitive but I find them all to be very helpful and certainly will get you very close to where you want to be. There is no family authorized discography so whatever is out there is put together by fans. Frank Sinatra's recording history is not well documented as far as an "official" song list. You have to do the best you can with what you have to work with. At this point for me personally I am interested in what remains unknown in the vault and will we ever hear everything officially recorded. I have my doubts for obvious reason.

8. Sean Verneau

I would add to that the book my Ackelson, published by McFarland; incomplete as it goes, but still a good reference (and more complete than O'Brien anyway).

9. Sean Verneau

As I explained in my earlier post (and I think we have talked before), I have trouble with the 1000 unique songs, if by that you mean no more than 1000 different song titles ---- although that might be true for studio recordings, I have no idea. As I stated in my post above, the number of different song titles I got was about 1200 (it included some duets, so the number might not be quite right), but I think it would be more than 1000 - although, to be fair, I never counted just the studio recordings.

I guess that is where it gets tricky - what about the songs (officially released or not) not on a "Studio recording". I suppose it would be easy just be easy to look up all the studio recording CDs and count the tracks, but I am still looking for that number agreed up (by most) that this is the number of songs that there is a recording of Sinatra singing.

I suppose that would be the easier way of putting it - because there are a lot of budget CDs and compilations that have songs he sung that is not on the studio recordings (and often missing from the books and websites that attempt to list his songs). I suppose that is where your 1700 number comes from --- but no source outside the CD (which I have not seen and I guess one can no longer get) even approaches 1500, not even the websites mentioned or the Sinatra Family Discography.

It still kind of boggles my mind, despite the long career and a lot of work that would go into it, that there not a website that clearly answers this question, let a long a book or some other source.

Just doesn't seem right that the greatest singer who ever lived has yet to have a simple, reliable yet comprehensive list that answers the question of how many songs did you sing that has found itself released, either on a record, CD, box set, or compilation. Most sources I have, for example, do not list "Goden Earrings" --- but he sung it, and you can buy a record and listen to it (albeit, I suppose, by the looks of it, not released in America). But still - what is the point of trying to make a book or website that suggests they list every Sinatra song and not list these? (It was not, as I said, even on the Sinatra Family's).

Maybe the list of studio recordings is about 1000 - that sounds about right, and as I said, easy enough to find out simply by have a list of all the albums and tracks. But back to the more difficult question that deserves an answer, and I will restate in the question that I posed in my earlier post ---

If you wanted to have a copy (as I do) of every Sinatra song that has been released -- the studio cuts, the Hollywood songs, the duets, the ones like "Golden Earrings" which seems to not show up on any list or book (but you can easily buy the album its on off of Ebay for a couple bucks), how many of those songs are there? Has anyone put together a simple list?

10. Sean Verneau

I also wanted to mention, not to beat the point to death, but I had never heard of the website "Frank Sinatra Songs" on Netogram that was mentioned before.

I searched Golden Earrings to see what it says about it, and it says nothing. No results. I don't mean to keep on harping on that one songs, but its the one I can think of at the moment. You can by the album that has it on easy enough and even listen to it on YouTube (as you see below) if you never have.....Now it might be one of those songs because it was never released by a major studio or recorded in New York or some such thing why it might not show up everywhere, but is there a list of Sinatra songs that it does show up on? That is the list I need....