How many versions of Mozart's Requiem do you own?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TonyACT, Apr 24, 2022.

1. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in! Thread Starter

As it's Anzac Day down here, a Requiem seems relevant. Mozart's is the most popular and is surrounded in mystery and irony; from its mysterious commissioning to the composer's death prior to completion. It is now performed in one of a number of completions, most commonly by Sussmayr.

So, how many versions do you own? If you would like to reply please let us know how many you have and your favourite(s).

I have somewhere around 15. My current favourite is the Karajan 1976 Berlin Philharmonic release on DG. Honourable mention goes to his 1987 release with the Vienna Philharmonic. If mono is your thing I like Fricsay, also on DG.

Edit: I would also appreciate any Historically Informed Performance (HIP) recommendations, an area I've just begun exploring.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    lucan_g, deredordica, Flannel and 2 others like this.
  2. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Karl Bōhm's 1971 recording with the VPO is my go-to Requiem, but I'm happy to learn about other excellent recordings.

HotelYorba101 and TonyACT like this.
  3. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I have only one. I'm not yet obsessed. :)

CDFanatic and TonyACT like this.
  4. kamchatka

kamchatka Forum Resident

My favorite recording is the John Eliot Gardiner recording from 1987. My second favorite is a Karl Richter recording from the early 1960s. And my third favorite is a Bruno Walter/NY Philharmonic recording from the 1950s. Each very different, each great in their own way.

But my favorite requiems are by Tomas Luis de Victoria (Tallis Scholars recording is amazing) and Faure (another great John Eliot Gardiner recording).

For something slightly different in remembrance of Anzac day, PJ Harvey's masterpiece "Let England Shake" is highly relevant. Be sure to check out the demos version as well!

Flannel, PH416156 and TonyACT like this.
  5. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

I am a huge fan of classical music.

But, I do not like anything earlier than about the mid 1920s. I especially love post WWII classical, up through the present.

Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, and other Classical era music, despite my appreciation for those composer's skill, bore me.

So, despite a very large classical collection...0 copies of Mozart's Requiem.

Give me the thorny, atonal, avant-garde music.

Elliott Carter, Magnus Lindberg, Bruno Maderna, Joan Tower, Berg, Schoenberg, Webern, Thea Musgrave, Anna Thorvaldsdottir, ..

6. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

Love the Requiem. Seems like I pick up a copy every year or two at a library sale. I would love it if someone would do a recording of just what he wrote - and release it as The Unfinished Requiem.

thnkgreen and TonyACT like this.
  7. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I have a Tafelmusik recording which is good and a Carlo Maria Giulini recording which is outstanding. Whenever I listen to this piece I invariably think back to the time my wife and I stumbled upon a performance of it in the cathedral in Chartres, France.

PH416156 and TonyACT like this.
  8. Doctor Jimmy

Doctor Jimmy From Bach to the Beach Boys

I own two :

Bohm/VPO
    Christie

TonyACT likes this.
  9. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

bruce2, TonyACT and Adam9 like this.
  10. Stencil

Stencil Forum Resident

I have two. Bohm and Karajan. I couldn’t pick just one.

TonyACT likes this.
  11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Just the one :)

Boom Operator and TonyACT like this.
  12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I went to a music store when they allowed the possibility of listening to CDs prior to purchasing.

Went through 7 different performances that I described in great detail to 3 salespeople before finding what I was looking for.

Issues I had ranged from wrong tempo, out of tune instruments (or sections of instruments), emphasis on horns (or much too loud horn section), very dry sound or very distant sounding, etc.

Eventually, I found the perfect one for me. Conducted by Neville Mariner with the St-Martin-In-The-Fields orchestra.

[​IMG]

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Academy Of St Martin In The Fields / Sir Neville Marriner - Requiem

BeatlesBop, ivor, Flannel and 8 others like this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

one...

Boom Operator and TonyACT like this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

Here it is if anyone wants to sample it.

15. zen

zen Senior Member

Probably a half dozen or so...via classic box sets, mainly. Truth be told; I always pass on Mozart's Requiem. Still, I have it, a bunch.

TonyACT likes this.
  16. TonyACT

It's one of the more popular versions, and one I have on my wishlist. I have an earlier version by Marriner which is pretty decent as well.

PH416156 and Strat-Mangler like this.
  17. TonyACT

I have often thought the same, but then I guess there would be different versions based on how much orchestration exists for each part.

18. zen

zen Senior Member

One HIP recording I do own is by the Hanover Band (Nimbus). It's good.

TonyACT likes this.
  19. Strat-Mangler

I'm not familiar with the performers as I'm not knee-deep in that world. I just know what sounds great to me. That was the 7th one that was suggested to me after describing what I was looking for.

Listen to the video I posted and let me know you're thoughts, whether it's a yay or nay.

20. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

1 and that's only if you count my Blu-ray copy of The Big Lebowski for the scene where he's in seclusion in the West wing

ivor, jfeldt and TonyACT like this.
  21. TonyACT

Cheers. Sounds like an excellent performance streamed through my amp. As noted, in my (large) 'purchase sometime' list :).

PH416156 and Strat-Mangler like this.
  22. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I like the requiem but don't own a recording. I do have complete sets of the piano sonatas and concertos but I have to confess I hardly ever listen to them. That stuff puts me to sleep. I also have Haydn London symphonies, and complete string quartets which I don't listen to but I like his vocal music. I have the masses, and the Creation oratorio.

TonyACT likes this.
  23. Rudi

Rudi Forum Resident

Marriner is also my favorite. Has all the right choices for me. Actually, I like the Requiem selections from the Amadeus Soundtrack (also Marriner) the best. But I don't think there's a full performance of those.
    Another very good one is Riccardo Muti with the Berlin Philharmonic. A bit slower and roomy sounding but very rich and powerful.

24. MoatsArt

MoatsArt Curating condiments since 1756

I only have the one copy: The Dunedin Consort on a Linn SACD. Might spin it up now.

One of my rules of buying recorded music is to have only one copy of everything. Why? I have limited space for storage and limited money. I'd rather have one copy of two works than two copies of one work.

BeatlesBop, Boom Operator and TonyACT like this.
  25. TonyACT

I can relate to this. I actually only have the one copy as a separate CD, my first purchase of the work. The rest have come in boxed set purchases, which have generally been kind on the wallet and on space, though the latter is now becoming somewhat strained :).

MoatsArt likes this.