How Much do you Trust Online Reviewers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Another aspect of this topic-the lack of reviews published in the audio magazines, etc, for products made by companies which do not spend money by taking out ads in those publications. These may be the same companies which do not offer extended “loans” of equipment to reviewers or do not offer purchase to them at greatly discounted prices. I recently got interested in the tubed integrated amplifier made by Quicksilver Audio. It is virtually impossible to find a review of it by a “professional” audio journal. Then I read somewhere that Quicksilver does not advertise. A ha! The only review I have seen in the past of Quicksilver Audio products in a large print media magazine was in Sam ’s column in Stereophile. Another aspect of the bias in audio is audio snobbery. There are great products being made by Yamaha, Marantz, Denon, etc which are ignored because, presumably?, they are not high end boutique Uber expensive chic companies and perhaps they play it straight and don’t “bribe” reviewers with the perks mentioned above.

avanti1960 and Shawn like this.
  2. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

it really depends on your location.

here in the States some of the old reviewers from Stereophile back in the mid to late 90s were actually quite good and objective. TAS still has some now. in fact, one of my best friends purchased (just short of $250k) of equipment at retail, something like 10 years ago, based on the sole advice of TAS reviewer. the reviewer is still there and if you read his remarks it pretty much echoes what you hear

others out there not so much and be careful ... this is not to say there are not good ones out there. there are so many different variables at play. the room, the music they listen to, the actual recording of what they listen to, to mood of the reviewer, the writing quality of the reviewer, blah, blah, blah, blah.

you have to remember, so much of the hi-end audio market gets sold to asia that is really where a lot of manufactures compete. here in the States, while very important, is a tiny fraction of many manufactures overall market.

i’m not sure if i helped or confused you more. :)

3. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I recently amused myself viewing 2 YouTube videos about Fluance Turntables, each produced by a turntable enthusiast. These enthusiasts provided a disclaimer that the Fluance Turntable reviewed was given to them by Fluance. Both reviews praised the Fluance. Now, while these videos were somewhat entertaining, it was clear to me, neither reviewer had enough credentials to profess on the subject; thus, much information about what's important to turntable satisfaction was not covered. Of course, a novice nevertheless might still be influenced to buy a Fluance Turntable based on these "reviews" and that to me is problematic.

Agitater and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  4. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I do agree that this goes on - in no line of work will you find absolute purity from the participants - bad cops, bad judges, politicians (ABSOLUTELY), lawyers and yes reviewers.

But the discount thing is overstated - the reality is most reviewers get the second hand price that YOU would pay if you bough the item second hand - and since as a reviewer I open the box and use it - the item I am reviewing is now second hand - so big deal. They send me (or any reviewer) an amp that retails for $3000 and I get it to buy it say for $1800. But most of the time a decent negotiator can buy the $3000 item for $2400. And remember in this situation there is a Dealer mark-up. There is none when a manufacturer sends a product to a reviewer.

And if all companies give the same discount then I or any other reviewer is still going to buy the $3000 amp we like the best.

Some companies do not seek reviews - others seek them aplenty. So on this front you are absolutely correct. Musical Fidelity had (maybe still has) a deal with Stereophile that they will be a "stand in" if another review falls apart. So if a reviewer there is set to review ABC amplifier but said company fails to deliver - Musical Fidelity will send out an amp ASAP to the reviewer.

In a print magazine which has to fill pages in a certain period of time - they need products! And they need them yesterday. This is a fair arrangement - people got on Stereophile for a time because they always reviewed MF products but at least they were there and the more good reviews you get can't hurt.

Small companies can actually be hurt if reviews turn into orders - too many orders can overwhelm a smaller outfit. The original Reference 3a when they were 3a apparently went bankrupt as a result - they got inundated with orders - they rushed to open a second plant to make speakers but because they rushed they were sending out speakers that were falling apart - warranty claims came in and they were losing money on the product - they folded. Then they reopened under Reference 3a but planned ahead better the next go around and had their entry level models made in Canada.

As for me - a Marantz owner in the past and present - I would be happy to review a number of products from them or Yamaha - or perhaps Deon though I am less familiar with their offerings. The problem where I live in Hong Kong is that one of the biggest chain stores that carried these products - HMV - has folded.

I am note a big fan of SS amplifiers but I did like the new Yamaha 160 watt per channel integrated amp. The model is called the A-S1100 (I do wish they would some nicer name branding but anyway). The thing is build well - and isn't ridiculously priced.

Bigger companies like this do have an economy of scale advantage - when they WANT TO - these giants can put out a superior product for a lower price than a boutique product. Especially when it comes to home theater receivers but even the entry level CD players from Marantz - they're tough to beat. You probably aren't going to find a better CD player that the CD 5005 from Marantz at $399 - and it's less in Hong Kong - like $250!!

The problem sometimes is just getting through to an actual human at these companies. I recently reviewed the Cambridge Audio CXC CD transport - I never did get a hold of anyone at Cambridge Audio! I just bought the damn thing at HMV at full price and reviewed it rather than waste my bloody time trying to reach someone!

Some companies don't have much English and can't respond - others like Opera Consonance were very nice but told me they are getting out of the US market and didn't want a review. Another company is small and the shipping costs for their large speakers return would have ran $4,000US - which was just too much for them to absorb.

Another outfit wanted me to buy the product in advance and then if I didn't want to keep it I would send it back for a refund. But I have ethical issues with this on a conflict of interest level. Again - some companies are on super tight margins and simply don't have review sample units lying around. Indeed, I reviewed one small amplifier and when I was finished with it - they didn't want it back they wanted me to ship it to another magazine so they could review it - This was a $200 amplifier and we're shipping the same unit around the world to different magazines.

Of course I have heard some things about some reviewers out there too and some manufacturers who will cherry pick a product - and turbo charge a unit. So the reviewer gets a "Premium product" where it has been specially tested or uses better parts because they know it is going to a reviewer. YOU the consumer gets the second rate trash.

So you with the inferior product is mystified as to why the reviewer raves - it may be the reviewer got the A product while the consumer gets the also-ran.

Anyway, you simply need to listen for yourself - find the reviewers who hear it the way you do - then when they like something - they may put some new product on your radar. But you can build perfectly good stereos around Marantz, Denon, and Yamaha - the boutique stuff is about being really picky about things - a sort of anal retentive quality where people need everything just so - perhaps a sort of Asperger's or Autistic nature that resides in all of us to some degree and perhaps more-so in the high end audiophile club. Any fetishized hobby is like that - the guys into photography - they're analyzing stuff to the pixel talking about the shading on the specific kind of blue - me - I am like - umm light blue, dark blue, really dark blue. HA! They'll yack about 40 different blues.

Kyhl, 33na3rd and Daedalus like this.
  5. IGD Positive

IGD Positive Forum Resident

With things like audio, I don't trust them at all really.

slcaudiophile and ssmith3046 like this.
  6. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

There's a valid counter-argument to this. Many companies don't advertise since they are just starting out and prefer guerrilla marketing. Many audio reviewers are reluctant to review new products that may not be around in a few years. This is why Stereophile has had a minimum number of dealers threshold.

Also, PTA and other review sites often do reviews on products that don't advertise.

Also keep in mind that some manufacturers are real pain in the ass to deal with, often their own worst enemy.

As for snobbery, we are continually looking for good products that outperform their price point at Part-Time Audiophile. That is why we have written a lot about Border Patrol. We did an early review on Lessloss when it was more affordable. We have written about Yamaha and Marantz. Teac is doing great things lately at very nice prices. I currently have the Schiit Vidar and Saga in for review.

Daedalus likes this.
  7. der

der Forum Resident

I get the biggest kick out of the nebulous adjectives that reviewers (amateur and professional) use to describe the sound of components. Either a system heightens the illusion of live music or it doesn't. But, I guess that even doesn't wash with multi-channel pop and rock music. In that case, the recorded music is usually difficult to simulate LIVE. The adjective praise becomes increasing obscure as the retail price of the equipment in question rises as well.

8. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

very true. you make some interesting points. sorry, lee, i forgot to include you in my list of great reviewers. :)

LeeS likes this.
  9. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

I trust audio equipment reviewers more than I trust mattress reviewers. The amount of shenanigans in that business is insane. Pretty much all of the mattress review sites that claim to be "unbiased and independent" are actually owned and run by the mattress companies, and they're all constantly suing each other for unfair business practices.

Mike from NYC likes this.
  10. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I trust them when I read what they have to say and it jibes with what I read in the mainstream publications.

I have yet to buy a piece of equipment that was highly recommended by more than 1 reviewer that has disappointed me and which I bought on faith in the reviewers recommendation.

Revel Ultima Studio
    Audio Research REF3 preamp
    Bel Canto REF 600 monoblocks
    Musical Surroundings Nova II
    Musical Fidelity NuVista Vinyl pre
    Jelco 750E tonearm

and a slew of carts - Hana SH, Transfiguration Axia S, Kiseki Blue, ClearAudio Stradivarius II, Stanton 881S, etc., etc.

YMMV

11. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

I use reviews as a subjective benchmark in overall quality, but nothing compares to auditioning it yourself.

They are fun to read. Helpful, too, when things like software errors or performance gaps are discovered. But still, mostly entertainment for me.

12. missan

missan Forum Resident

Have I said that reviewers always do more harm than good, for the consumer.

13. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Tim 2 likes this.
  14. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

John Atkinson debunked this argument a couple of years ago. You can probably find his analysis if you cared to try.

Tim 2 likes this.
  15. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Why? Don't you go see a movie because your buddy said it was great? Or avoid a manufacturer because of all the issues your neighbor told you he experienced? Yet, those people aren't professional movie critics or mechanics.

Happens all the time. That's why context and factors are important.

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

back in the late 70's early 80's I found a few pieces of equipment that I agreed with the review...

17. Daedalus

I read his analysis when I was still a subscriber to Stereophile.

18. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

How in the world can one lump every reviewer into some sort of giant reviewer pool and give an answer that applies to them all?

LeeS likes this.
  19. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

I love equipment that does its job particularly well in all aspects.
    "One of the classics" is usually where I find the good stuff dreams are made of.
    It helps to read all the language and the specifications which describes great performance.
    That way you know it when you see it.
    I thank great writers and reviewers like J Gordon Holt for giving us that language.
    I rather expect smart writing to keep it moving and me entertained.
    My two cents.

Tim 2 and 33na3rd like this.
  20. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I'll tell you why. Taking advice from someone not qualified to advise on the matter is costly.

21. Daedalus

Thanks for your view from the “inside”. My thoughts as expressed in my earlier post are my speculations based on my observations as a reader/hobbyist who has no experience as a writer/reviewer.

22. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

There is no way of knowing of any incentives a reviewer may be receiving from an equipment manufacturer. There is no way of knowing the mark up a dealer can get on various items. I like to read reviews as they can give you an explanation of features on a piece of equipment which may be new and useful. The reviewer is not going to be using the equipment in the same room or system as you so buy a new system on the back of reviews is foolish. I use reviews to identify products I might want to hear and then try to get an audition.

23. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Why rely on reviews? Just buy the product from a vendor with a liberal return policy.

That approach of course would depend on the product being purchased. Buying a mattress was pretty simple to me without a review. I just went to the mattress store checked for firmness on a well known name brand and bought it. I've had that mattress for at least 20 years.

Audio equipment? See my first statement.

24. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I don't trust all reviews. Some actually sound more like trolling.

Tim 2 and nosliw like this.
  25. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

The more misplaced superlatives and the use of the word "awesome" the more I see the review posted by a troll or a bot. Reading the history of the poster on their profile and other reviews will give a better indication it's an honest review by a real well meaning person.