How much musical merit in hair metal?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mtvgeneration, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Absolutely. As somebody who mocked this entire scene mercilessly at the time it was popular, I have had to eat a serious plate of crow when I realized how good of a band Extreme was. Their music is varied, complex, and very tuneful.

And “More Than Words” has a very high amount of musical sophistication to it melodically and harmonically. Lyrics are cheesy, granted, but there is nothing at all generic about the dynamic arrangement and those harmonies.

2. tonyballz

tonyballz Roogalator

Who, this guy?

[​IMG]

Curveboy likes this.
  3. tonyballz

tonyballz Roogalator

I'm aware of Slash's heritage and I didn't mean he was emulating anyone. I just said his hair was big. You can't deny that.

And most people associate Guns & Roses with hair metal anyway, so who cares? Hey if GnR are hair metal, that probably makes them the best of the bunch, so there you go.

Hair-itage. Ha.:)

ARK and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I didn't really like the genre back in the day. More of a KROQ guy back then. I have come to love the stuff. "Hair Nation" on SiriusXM is to blame. There are/were a group of seriously badas$ guitarists in most of those groups. Most of the singers...could sing! Anyone who discounts this type of music is missing out.

5. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

It merited having a few beers to at the local "Gentleman's Club", in the '90's.

ARK likes this.
  6. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt Just spinning on my axis

GNR was not hair metal.

koondoggy and joy stinson like this.
  7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

If many of the bands named in this thread are so-called Hair Metal (ie RATT, Dokken) than GnR certainly are.

8. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

Then that would suggest a re-evaluation of those other bands not GNR. I'm not familiar enough with Dokken and RATT's sound to know where to place them. From the limited number of RATT songs I know, they struck me as straight up rock. Faster Pussycat are another band I wouldn't place in hair metal. GNR are blues based with some punk, and later incorporated elements of country, and in my opinion, blues does form part or any of the hair metal sound.

joy stinson and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i'd say you are pretty right but after 1985 they started getting more and more commercial pop metal sounding

10. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  11. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

For sure.

If you like rock music, the hair metal scene was a cornucopia of high quality music. Those who dismiss it because of the image are missing out. As I mentioned up-thread, it's a pretty broad church musically, at least in my opinion. Plenty for even the most jaded fan to get their teeth into. :)

joy stinson and rodentdog like this.
  12. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

They reached a wider audience than many hair meatal bands, at least here in the UK but I think they fit the remit well enough.

13. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I dunno. Bands like Cinderella, Great White & Tesla, who are often included in round-ups of hair metal bands, have much more blues in their sound than Guns & Roses, I reckon.

kyouki, rebetis, cageyc and 2 others like this.
  14. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

So perhaps those bands shouldn't be included in the hair metal genre? I'm not familiar enough with them to know, but I just don't think blues has any place in hair metal, but that's my opinion. I don't know if there's an official definition of hair metal.

joy stinson and carlwm like this.
  15. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

Maybe we have different ideas of pop metal. I'm not hearing pop metal in GNR for anything. They certainly did get very commercial after AFD with their ballads and their outrageously expensive music videos. But that was kinda everyone's thing by that stage. We can thank Duran Duran for that! lol. Otherwise, AFD and UYI were not pop metal sounding in any way - ballads aside. Even their album of covers was mostly punk or straight up rock. Can you name a couple of songs of theirs you think were pop metal, maybe then I'd have an idea of what you mean?

joy stinson likes this.
  16. JeffHunt

JeffHunt Stray Cat Strutting

Cinderella was probably the most talented of the hair bands, especially since Tom Keifer not only sang and wrote the songs, but he was a pretty decent lead guitar player too.

17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Honestly, I think the label is a lazy attempt to link a bunch of bands that really don't sound much like each other, based on their image. Most genres are tenuous and this one particularly so.

However, for me, it's a handy enough way of talking about sartorially dubious rock bands - mostly but not exclusively - from the US who were popular between the mid-Eighties to the early Nineties. I love some of them, others, like GnR, I cherry pick what I regard as the good stuff, and there are a few - Bulletboys, the aforementioned Great White, Skid Row etc - that I haven't connected with.

Call them hair metal or call them something else. It doesn't really matter. One man's spade is another's bloody shovel. :)

MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt likes this.
  18. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

I agree. I think it's a bad term that's for sure. When you think about it, it's just a derogatory name that places the emphasis on their hair and not their music. I'd like to see a different label...someone said glam rock. It doesn't bother me in the least what they wore. That was the general fashion for everyone back then anyway, just those guys hammed it up a bit more because they were musicians and creative types who always tend to exaggerate the fashion of the day. But even ordinary guys had long hair and mullets and wore oversized yellow checked jumpers. lol. Many of the bands had good musos...some good guitarists and singers.

19. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Good points.

I think the biggest negative with the "hair metal" term is that it gives naysayers an easy way to dismiss a vast swathe of really quite interesting bands without the need to listen to them. It's indolent but, I suppose, understandable. If I'm honest I use the term "grunge" in a similar way. I'm not keen on a few of the big names so I don't even bother to listen to others tarred with the same brush.

20. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Probably not a coincidence that this just popped up in my YouTube recs. Google is always watching. :eek:

Top 5 Mislabeled "Hair" Bands

21. koondoggy

koondoggy Forum Resident

I couldn't past the name or the look (and the shrieking voice!)

22. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

Never knew Guns N' Roses covered Ain't it Fun. The original version from 1975 is by Rockets From The Tombs, an obscure proto-punk band from Cleveland, that contained future Pere Ubu and Dead Boys members. I prefer the crude tensity of the original Ain't It Fun over GNR's version, but still very cool that they covered it!

Agreed that Guns N'Roses were not really hair metal. Although they emerged from the same LA Sunset Strip scene, their music on Appetite For Destruction was way too ragged and mean for hair/glam metal. I always consider Guns N' Roses the transitional band between hair metal and grunge. Most hair metal fans were also listening to Guns N' Roses, while a few years later many kids who got into grunge also could dig a few GNR tunes.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
    jay.dee and MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt like this.
  23. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

Wow, the original is awesome. I never bothered to check it out before, so thanks for posting. Just a totally different vibe, still raw but in an almost poetic Dylan-esque way if that makes any sense. GnR's is more mad and menacing as per Axl. I love both. Got a new band to check out now! And yes, I've always regarded GnR as paving the way for grunge. They were an anomaly of a band, not really fitting in with any scene; they were truly on their own and came and went in a brief blaze of glory so to speak.

RudolphS likes this.
  24. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Not that it matters much but GnR were technically covering the Dead Boys version.

jay.dee and MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt like this.
  25. MaybeI'mMrsVandebilt

Thanks for sharing - good to know. The things you learn in the hair metal thread. lol. I like this one the least out of the three, though it's still good with decent guitar work, but I find the bass a little muted and muddy for my tastes.