How much of your youth music do you still listen to?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ronm, Apr 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

All of it and beyond.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  2. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

As I grew up on Just About Everything...classical, opera, jazz, blues, folk, kiddie, standards, bluegrass, the occasional Elvis/Orbison---quite a bit.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  3. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Most all the music I listen to is what I listened to in my teens, 20s, and 30s > 1950s - 1970s.

4. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

Good is good. I don’t really care when its from. With that said, my high school years were late 80’s. But even then what I considered to be the “best” was late 60’s to mid 70’s.

I listen to and buy a lot of current albums, but truth be told the ones I like the best have the reminiscent sound of the 70’s Rock I grew up on.

I listen to more big band and Jazz then I did when I was younger but rock is still dominant.

I listen to some 80’s and 90’s music that was popular to my peers. Sometimes its attached to memories, Girls, cars... But most of the big hair music is still a satire thing for me.

5. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Depends on what you define as "youth". When I was ten, I listened to Shawn Cassidy, Bay City Rollers, and the Beach Boys. Out of those bands, I only still listen to the Bay City Rollers (as I was doing yesterday).

When I was about 11 it was Styx and Journey. I don't listen to them at all.

As I got older and wiser, like 12 onwards, it was KISS and AC/DC. I still listen to both bands religiously.

So I guess my answer is "yes, some of them".

6. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

I'm not interested at all, in "new" music. IF it's really that great, then, perhaps I'll listen in 20 years hence. Or maybe not. Anyway, many teens of today have no problem listening in and enjoying the music I enjoyed as a youth in the late 60's and 70's. And that's way over 20 years.. already.

That 60's/70's era was such a motherload, that I'm sure there's plenty of nuggets yet for me to mine from the era of "my" youth.

I can't be bothered with "today's" music until I have properly mined "my era", and that, may take the rest of my days on this planet, so.... No Worries, if I miss out on some, or all of today's music. NOBODY gets "it all", and everyone goes by the wayside missing something... :pleased:

7. Bytor Snowdog

Bytor Snowdog Forum Resident

As a soon to be 57 year old myself, I fit almost exactly into your timeline. Agree with almost all of your sentiments, especially the part about getting into new stuff. I will share a couple approaches I have taken. Maybe they will resonate.

1) Old Songs by New Artists. Covers if you like. But it builds a bridge from the old to the new for me. Sometimes exploring the rest of the cover artists music uncovers something likable that I would have not discovered otherwise.

2) Sometimes NEO genre material (current bands doing older sounds via new material - NOT COVERS) yields some hits. Like Neo-Prog (90's+) is to Classic Prog (60-70's).

3) Watching video. TV shows or Series often have soundtracks consisting of current material. Its lends exposure to newer stuff without me having to go out and looking for it (which never yields anything usually for some reason).

All the above are low yield finds. Diamonds in the ruff. I am picky about what I like. So its only once in a while I find new stuff I generally like. But its something.

ronm likes this.
  8. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

About 90% of the music I loved from 13 to 20 years old I still love today. I opened my range to welcome new artists and new types of music but I still like the music I loved then the better.

9. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

I still enjoy listening to Cat Stevens after 44 years. He's my favourite solo artist.

ronm likes this.
  10. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

You are so right.

zphage likes this.
  11. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

Other than a few here and there-
    I still listen to most of the same albums/performers that I discovered between age 12-18.

12. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Newer stuff does it for me for the most part. Since I was 18 or 19, I’ve always looked for the new to me, especially something that sounds different. It’s why I don’t listen to much rock any more. I do buy some rock reissues and archival releases but I rarely listen to them more than a few times before I’ve had enough, even for some of my favorite artists. I find more absorbing new music than I can listen too.

13. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

90%.
    I haven't listened to The Jets or El Debarge for a while.

14. winders

winders Music Lover

I listen to new popular music and to various sources that play new music that is not mainstream. It's just not all that often that I hear something that is all that interesting to me. Even if I found something that is interesting, it's not often that interest continues years down the road. I have never liked Hip-Hop/Rap...mostly because the lyrics are generally offensive to me and also because, in my mind, there is much more to "music" than a beat. I really do wish there were more compelling, to me, music coming out. But there is so much music from the 60's, 70's, and 80's that I like that it I will never get bored listening to it. If anything, I am discovering or rediscovering music made in the 60's, 70's, and 80's that quenches my thirst for "new" music.

15. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Infrequently.

Not because I've grown out of it. Just overplayed.

16. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

I listen to some, but the music I have listened to most has aways been older nusic rather than contemporary. I do occasionally enjoy listening to a satellite radio station of songs from my youth (90s-early 00s) though for nostalgia. And I just don't connect with much of today's music.

17. Paul Middleton

Paul Middleton Forum Resident

I find the older I get the older the music I enjoy. I don't think I'm alone. I listen to a lot of late 60s, lots of 70s and early 80s music. Music from my childhood and early teen period essentially. And still discovering music from that period, asking myself why I hadn't heard it before now!

18. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

For the most part yeah. I started listening to KISS when I was 11 back in 2004 and that opened the door for other bands of that ilk in the ensuing years. I have never been much into contempary rock or pop music for the most part and have always mainly listened to stuff that for the most part came out before I was born.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.