How much un-opened vinyl do you have ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chumlie, Apr 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chumlie

chumlie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sad to say I'm in the 40 +. I keep buying with all good intentions but never seem to have time.

Clucking, Queezma and groovelocked like this.
  2. David-Shea

David-Shea Toastmaster General

Around 10 or 11 for me. Only gonna open them when I'm ready to play em.

Guitarded likes this.
  3. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

None. If I buy it, I play it.

MusicNBeer, perplexed, gov and 18 others like this.
  4. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

It being the week after RSD doesn't help...
    40+

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Gaslight and vinylontubes like this.
  5. jeroemba

jeroemba Forum Resident

None: i always play my new records in order to check that they are not faulty.

6. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

Too much, but a small percentage overall.

7. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I have one, which someone gave me, and I’ve never felt the urge to listen to!

8. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Every record I buy I play. It's why I buy records. I could never buy a record and not play it the same day.

9. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Only buying used, therefore none.

But, how much vinyl has never hit my turntable? I'd think probably 50% of everything I have, but this is a product of getting piles of records at a time that are mostly titles I have digitally, not because I don't care about the music I'm buying. That isn't an excuse for grading condition however, and I wouldn't part with anything unless I heard it once.

10. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

In the poll above, by “5” you meant “0”?

elaterium likes this.
  11. Maltman

Maltman Somewhat grumpy, but harmless old man.

Zero. Pretty much pointless otherwise.

Marty T, crispi and bobdylansbarber like this.
  12. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Proudly, none.

Marty T and crispi like this.
  13. Troy4

Troy4 Forum Resident

I've got two unopened boxsets but only because I ended up with tw copies of one and just haven't been in the right mood to listen to the other.
    I buy records to play and enjoy not to hoard or sell on for a profit.

14. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Forum Resident

There have been many media reports saying that about half of people who buy vinyl never play it.

I doubt that such people would be at this forum. So the survey can only tell us about SH forum contributors - not what happens overall.

15. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

Definitely over 40 at the moment, with it being a few days after RSD. Generally I at least open everything within a few days just to give a quick visual inspection.

How much is unplayed - probably over 200 at the moment. Mainly because I won't play anything on the 'main' turntable until it's been wet cleaned (have a Loricraft 4 deluxe at the moment - but a Degritter arriving next week!) and at this time of year I have a lot of time devoted to other interests. Once the football (soccer!) season, and a couple of other things finishes I get a lot more time over the summer for cleaning, listening and catching up.

Jellis77 likes this.
  16. Leggs91203

Leggs91203 Forum Resident

I have bought only second hand. Out of maybe 150 I have bought, less than five were still sealed. Nothing worth anything though, we are talking Kenny Loggins High Adventure and a couple other embarrassing releases.
    They were one buck each...

17. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

None at the moment. I’ve been selling off lots of vinyl and streaming more. Even when I was buying piles I couldn’t wait to rip the shrink wrap off.

18. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

19. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

I’m usually peeling the plastic off before I get to the car

20. Poto_feu

Poto_feu Active Member

I am too impatient to play an album I just bought or received so none for me.

21. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Good luck when you find them mostly dish warped, off centre, full of non-fill or scratched. In my experience one in five will have an issue if you are lucky. Modern vinyl is all over the place quality wise which is why I always open and play while I can return.

22. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Unopened is zero unplayed is around 150 records. This goes back to 2016 when I moved house and didn’t have access to my hifi for 8 months - I carried on buying but never seem to catch up. Also I Ultrasonically clean all my records before play. All of 150 are cleaned and ready to go just need to find the time around my job and family

Squiggsy68 likes this.
  23. Joshua Hudson

Joshua Hudson Forum Resident

Two mono RSD copies of A Saucerful of Secrets.

Saucersful of Secrets, technically.

24. Same here. I dont see the point of having an album and not playing it. Each to their own though

25. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Both of these things are in play for me. The issue with me is that I have over 2000 albums, so a small percentage is not a small number. 20-40, I think. I play everything, It's just a matter of getting to them. And I don't open them until I have the time to properly clean them on my RCM. I tend to buy in batches, and a few get bought out of curiosity. The curiosities get lower priority. So there's a few that won't get played for a couple a while.

Guitarded likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.