How much un-opened vinyl do you have ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chumlie, Apr 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

Absolutely zero. Like others said, if I buy it I want to play it.

Max Florian likes this.
  2. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Just one. But it's worth a fortune.

Just kidding. It sucks and I can't give it away.

starduster likes this.
  3. MyOwnWorstEnemy

MyOwnWorstEnemy Senior Member

5-10 but only because I haven't had the time to spin them yet. All will be opened in the next few days.

4. Unfortunately too many 40+

maui jim and c-eling like this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Six, not pictured-Front Line Assembly's Latest and Revolting Cocks-Stainless Steal Providers.
    [​IMG]

6. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

Almost all of my unopened vinyl comes from the late '80's/early '90's when there was a huge sell-off of vinyl and most people transitioned to CD's. I can only think of a single unopened LP that I don't already have on CD or I don't have an open (listening) copy. I would guess I have around 15 unopened LP's.

7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I was thinking about that...bad timing on the part of the OP on this question.
    Have exactly one unopened LP myself, that may be undone soon enough though.

8. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

I walked into Tower (San Francisco, Columbus & Bay) one day, I believe it was 1993. All the vinyl had been moved into a back corner of the store, just loads of it. Tower was a CD/Media store, now. The racks were full of those CD long boxes they used to use. Well, I bought a lot of vinyl over the next couple of months, so did a lot of other people. "Used" record stores bought many, too. They probably bought most of them. You're talking about complete collections of Elvis, Beatles, Frank, ect. - yes, those went fast. First pressings of the newer acts. Everything must go, as Steely Dan said. Most of them could be sold for more than the $3 asking price. Imagine that? $3 for a vinyl record, a real analogue vinyl record. It was an opportunity to get cheap replacements copies of your favorites, and extra copies to hold on to. So I have way over 40. Over the years I have opened most of them to check that they were not warping, but I have well over one-hundred that still haven't been played... still waiting for that first turntable ride. That said, if I have only one copy, that gets played. That's what they were made for.

For us that wanted to continue to use our turntables it then got more expensive. Being in the States, that meant Imports, and lots of special ordering. There were only a small number of artists that could insist that their records still get an American vinyl pressing. Neil Young comes to mind. Madonna, she still had the clout. The dance clubs needed vinyl to operate. We have entered another new world in the 2000s. Now, they want to do away with CDs, and vinyl is popular again! Who would have thought that back in the early nineties? Streaming?, what's that? Can a DJ do that?

9. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

Us old folks. You beat me to it. Was writing my post when you were creating yours.

10. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

Nothing because I don't buy an LP unless I plan to listen to it. I've never understood "collectors" who just buy things to have them. LPs are meant to be listened to, just like instruments are meant to be played (it makes me super sad to see rich collectors buy awesome instruments, only to hang them on their wall and stare at them). Anyway, I digress. :)

Floyd Crazy and c-eling like this.
  11. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Same. Still have some last years RSD unopened. Pick up unopened old Beatles. Have set of new mono Beatles.New deluxe Zeppelin titles. Etc.

Fender Relic likes this.
  12. Papi Hipbone323

Papi Hipbone323 The Stouffer's Lasagna of Audiophiles

I have way too many records that I haven't opened or played for various reasons.

Fender Relic likes this.
  13. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

One sealed mono Sgt Pepper that I framed. Besides that I play everything I buy

c-eling likes this.
  14. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

That Idol I have an excellent UK LP and Euro mastering compact disc, New release for favorites I buy for the art and to support the bands (Front Line Assembly/Delerium where I buy both formats)
    REVCO adds an extra track on the cd single, so opening and playing the 12 inch is moot. Bought it for the rear art that's edited out on the cd.
    Billy Joel-The Bridge was a buck, so why not :laugh:, the old cd is fine.
    We all have different reasons :)

15. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

0. If I'm not going to play it, I'm not going to buy it.

mercuryvenus likes this.
  16. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I have two. A Queen box set and a Bowie box set. :cheers:

17. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Aside from a few boxes of unsold merch, nothing.

Never buy more than you can listen to.

18. I have 2 Ikea Expedit sections, so probably 120-140. All these however are vintage sealed, no new. Those are bought to play. And in most cases they're duplicates of clean copies I already own, purchased back in the salad days of $2-4 dollar sealed records when nobody was buying records.

19. Phil P

Phil P Forum Resident

I've surely been misguided, buying ltd runs, coloured vinyls, playing the CD's instead...… wanting to keep them 'special'.

No more! I have resolved to open them all and play them, very soon!

quattroatl likes this.
  20. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I'm coming at this question from a different perspective than most of the (relatively) young folks who have answered here.

I haunted the cheapo LP bins regularly in the early to mid-70s and probably beyond that too. As a result, I have a pretty substantial collection of albums that I never broke the seal on. Many are doubles of albums I already had that were purchased for back-up purposes or with the idea that I'd sell them at auction one day, but I really only did a limited amount of that.

Just off the top of my head, I have sealed copies of Badfinger's No Dice, Straight Up and Wish You Were Here. There was a time when those first two were quite rare, as the albums were out of print for so long. CD reissues have probably knocked their value down somewhat.

There are many more like that; I'm thinking one of the more notable things I have is a sealed mono copy of The Yardbirds' US Over, Under, Sideways, Down album. And I've told the story elsewhere on this board of the time (circa 1972) when I scored 90 albums priced at 10¢ each for 9 bucks. I've never broken the seal on some of those, and a few may have some cachet as one-off psych things.

I've always said that when I retire and have time to devote to it, I'll revisit my stash and see just what's there. And I do realize that sealed LPs are dicey in terms of the condition they might actually be in after all these years.

Fender Relic and maui jim like this.
  21. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

40+

Almost all of it is either Beach Boys, Kinks, Beatles, or Stones.

Fender Relic likes this.
  22. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

A few but definitely less than 5. The new Sara Bareilles is one, and the new SRV One Step which I just haven't had the time to get everything just right for a good A/B session, including my mood.
    "Pointless"? Why? You see something you want, you buy it. Something's a good deal, you buy it. Doesn't mean you tear it open like a kid at Christmas. Sometimes I may only get a couple hours every few weeks that I might be in a place where I can just sit and do nothing but listen to LPs.

groovelocked and Guitarded like this.
  23. At the low end of 0-5. Both of my LPs were bought used, listened to and needle dropped to CD.

24. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Same here. :righton:

pseudopod likes this.
  25. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

My unopened LPs are from the 50’s, 60’s & 70’s.

Fender Relic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.