How much un-opened vinyl do you have ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chumlie, Apr 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

40 + for me

2. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

I imagine if I had a sealed first state stereo Beatles butcher cover, I would keep it that way. Otherwise all three sealed albums from the 60's I kept for a while as collectables have been opened. They are like a fun time capsule getting to the original advertising inner sleeve and the pristine all analog vinyl.

3. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

40 + +

Fender Relic likes this.
  4. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

None, I open and play all my albums. Keeping new vinyl sealed is a big gamble once you get past the return window.

5. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I buy 'em to play 'em!

The only holdout for a while was the Beatles Christmas Message box set, but even that got a sampling recently.

6. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

0.0 un-opened vinyl in my collection!

7. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

A few years ago, while moving from a different state, I did a brutal purge of my vinyl collection. A lot of my collection at that point (dozens of albums) had been bought and never listened to (although a lot of it was purchased used, so it wasn't sealed).

Flash forward to the present, and I'm aggressively collecting vinyl again in my new home state. But now, I make it a point to listen to everything I buy. I have a separate shelf where I put new purchases until I listen to them (usually more than once).

At present, off the top of my head (and not counting RSD releases) I have about five albums on the shelf that I haven't listened to yet (one of them is a Monty Python comedy album), and two only one of them is still sealed. There are a couple of RSD items I haven't opened yet as well.

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

None. I like to at least have a look! They are all opened ASAP. Barely any of my records are unplayed. Too many not played enough though.

9. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

Unopened=0
    Unplayed=0
    Played once only= probably quite a few.

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

I know I’m in for some big disappointments with a good number of defects when I get to them but currently I have 329 unopened albums and box sets. I don’t buy anything to intentionally keep sealed except stuff I save for special occasions, only buy things I plan to listen to, and only new and some still-sealed originals. Just my thing- I want to be the first to open it, and I don’t open anything until I’m ready to play and focus on that title. I haven’t had a satisfying listening space for a couple years, even mostly stopped buying for most of 2017 (only bought 12 new albums and got some other things paid off instead), but missed a lot so as soon as we moved I started up again, making up for lost time, and now have a dedicated listening room but it doesn’t feel right so we’re about to switch the smaller listening room with the bigger bedroom and hopefully that’ll get things right for me.

So yeah... 329

Fender Relic and Guitarded like this.
  11. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

i put 20-40, but i probably have more.

There's a ton of vinyl that I have on CD, so i dont bother opening the vinyl
    unless there's an exclusive track. or the cd sounds bad, and i have to rip the vinyl.

later

c-eling likes this.
  12. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

If I buy an expensive sealed copy of a vintage album, I am opening it immediately. But a brand new LP bought with 6-10 others? That might have to wait.

Guitarded likes this.
  13. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

A couple years ago I picked up a sealed vintage copy of Aja on ebay. I'm saving it for the proverbial rainy day. Since I have like 6 copies of that LP already someday it'll be fun to open it and see which pressing it is. It's on ABC (not MCA), and I know it's not the AB catalog number, but it could have the scratched-out B. I only paid a few bucks for it, so not a huge investment.

I have a few other things that are still sealed because I just haven't had a chance to listen yet. And my Bluesound constantly makes it harder and harder to listen to vinyl, LOL. But it's nice to know those records are there for the inevitable time that I will want to hear them on vinyl...

14. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

My collection consists of 60's Parlophone records, so it would be impossible to own un-opened records. I don't believe they came sealed back then.

15. scotto

scotto Senior Member

None. If I buy 'em, I listen to 'em.

Slack Babbath, uzn007 and Chemguy like this.
  16. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

If it's limited and I can afford it, I will buy 2 and keep one sealed. My only exception is an original 1979 sealed KISS Dynasty that I found in a vintage store a few years ago. I already had a few opened copies, so I have no reason to crack the seal on this one yet.

17. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Zero. I buy, I play.

18. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I used to have 4 boxes but traded half in at a B&M. That leaves about 100 (+/-). I don't see anything wrong with keeping good titles around for trading, selling,or gifting. I've helped my wife out a few times when she's needed a last minute gift for family or friends. I like to buy ltd. ed.,box sets, and color vinyl when a store is going out of business. Once in awhile I'll grab something out of the box that I don't have for myself and open it up. Last time I did that it was this one which I'd never heard before and it was fabulous, perfect original condition.

[​IMG]

19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Quite a lot. I was buying vinyl from 1984-2003, a 20 year period when I didn’t have a turntable.

20. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Why did the poll stop at 40+? I have hundreds but most are duplicates or I have them on CD too. Rarely do I have an LP that I have not heard that is still sealed. The only exception is a lot of jazz LPs that I bought as part of a subscription but did not have the time to open them and listen to them all.

21. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

I cant understand why you buy a record and dont play it.. the only record i have that is un open was from carnival songs that a person from my family gave me, but is not my kind of song..

22. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design

So all my sealed stuff would be Kiss stuff that I have duplicates of and enjoy having a sealed copy in the collection. So if I have a sealed copy of Kiss Alive II, I also have an opened CDN pressing, Japanese, Japanese promo, Dutch, English, Aussie, Chilean, Bolivian, Brazilian, Peruvian, US, Zimbabwe and US promo pressing...do I really need to open this sealed one???

So my number in the poll was 10-20

23. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Since I don't have a turntable at the moment (I'm planning on getting a VERY high-end one once I pay off my student loans!), I only open my new vinyl if there's a download code inside. Since I do want to pay off my loans ASAP, I don't buy very many new albums right now, so the number is fairly small. I'm guessing 5-10.

My oldest sealed album by far is Love Can't Be Bitter All the Time by Bob Franke (1975 or 76 depending on whom you believe, and out of print since heaven knows when). I own a well-worn copy that I ripped to CD years ago and it doesn't sound too bad, but I have plans to redo it with the new copy once I have the right equipment. I don't think that album has ever been available on any format but vinyl and it likely never will be again, so this'll likely be my one and only chance to make a really great sounding copy. (I got it for just $10 on eBay - someone must have found some old store stock somewhere.)

24. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

That's dedication.

25. I only have 9 sealed albums, but that's only due to the fact my system has been down for quite a while. I should be down to zero within a week or so now that I'm back and operational once again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.