How much warp do you consider acceptable on a new LP?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by russk, Jun 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wow! That is scary! I'd be looking for another copy if it were me. It's hard to believe that it is not creating any unwanted sounds. In doing 100's of needle drops and dealing with warped records, I sure as heck can hear the results as well as looking at the recording on a scope.
    I'm not sure if you realize it, but flattening a record without capturing it around the edge also stretches it, and the sound difference will also be evident. Looks like you've got a record to occupy a space on a shelf.

2. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I bought a used record not long ago that plays about like that but you can't hear the warp at all. I was surprised because it looks pretty bad.

3. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

Only buy from amazon so you can return it

4. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident

Half inch.

Tim 2 likes this.
  5. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

A little warpage doesn't bother me. I get albums out of the shrink wrap fast and I don't buy online. However, I did but Aladdin Sane when it came out and left it in the rear window deck for some unexplained reason. In the sun. In summer.

6. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Gale Records produced audiophile records presented in a deluxe box and with booklet, similar to Mobile Fidelity's UHQR. I'm not sure what they retailed for but I have one and it's superb, titled 'Music for Percussion - Tristan Fry Percussion Ensemble. An insert inside provides the Gale Record Warranty:

"All Gale discs carry a replacement warranty provided the accompanying registration form is completed and returned within 10 days of purchase.

1. The warranty covers only the replacement of discs.

2. If at any time during the period covered by the warranty your record becomes unservicable in any way (scratch,warp, break or wear), you can obtain a new pressing by sending the damaged disc (do not send box or book) with a cheque for one third of the recommended retail price to the service center in your country.

The replacement warranty shall extend unconditionally for a minimum period of three years from the date of purchase up to a maximum of ten, provided the record remains in print during that time."

That was a company that took pride in their product. This warranty is not about a defect (mine is a perfectly pressed record BTW) which I'm sure was exchanged if necessary, but replacing for any reason for up to 10 years! So if you left it next to your radiator, you could get a replacement for a third of retail. That's pretty cool.

Alan2 likes this.
  7. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Well, like I pointed out, that video you quoted is the "before" video. See my earlier post to see what it looks like now.

And the needle isn't so much dropping as it is smoothly waving. I might try to stick it in the oven for just a tad more.

8. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I actually took a look at one of my somewhat warped LP's from late last year, and re-checked it.

Spent many months tightly packed on my shelf, and lo and behold it actually looks to be a bit improved. Still not completely flat yet, but it looks like shelf life may actually help with this stuff.

Aftermath likes this.
  9. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I got one recently that was really off center on one side, but not on the other side. It was really bad.

Plus the first track had a click through the first song. Couldn't see it but it was there.

10. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Same here ! Didn't know that was even possible ! And it's a finnish pressing to boot. QC is going to the dogs:realmad:

bru87tr likes this.
  11. TwoTone25

TwoTone25 Well-Known Member

Directing comment to OP - Vinyl warp acceptable on a new LP - NONE
    I would return it regardless, I get mad if a cd has 1 tiny hairline scratch, especially if its brand new.

12. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Erm, none. (!?!) Yet another reason why i don't buy contemporary vinyl.

13. In another thread I started, I bought several Analog Productions 200g Creedence Clearwater Revival LP's when they were re-issued and pressed in-house by their QRP. Like yours, they were off-center on only one side.
    When records are manufactured, it starts when the stamper is made which has to be center-punched exactly in the center. Then, as there are usually 2 sides to a record, there is an upper and lower stamper. The stampers have to be perfectly lined up or one side may end up off-center.
    With QRP, they are relatively new to the record pressing business and don't have the decades of experience other record pressing facilities have. Plus, on top of that, they started out with old worn equipment.
    The story of the CCR re-issues is that originally Analog Productions had RTI do the mastering, making the metal parts and pressing the records. I have those records and some of the test pressings. There is absolutely nothing wrong with those. Then, after QRP started pressing them, and they were using the original masters which RTI made, the record issues started. They screwed it up. Their QC is as inexperienced as the people pressing the records. They had me send them back and they sent me new copies. Same off-center problem. They wanted me to send them back again but I didn't, figuring that they don't know what a good record is. As a result, if I know that QRP pressed the record, I avoid it with a passion!

The Pinhead and bru87tr like this.
  14. my copy of Blood on the Tapes has the same problem. It is playable though

15. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I should have taken a video of the off center side. It was the worst I have ever seen. I was afraid for my stylus it was so bad.

I get more bad vinyl than I can count. More times than not it is always an issue. Even RTI pressed vinyl has had some serious issues. One I got from RTI sounded so noisey, it sounded like a serious defect through the whole record on both sides or completely dirty. On top of that it was warped and off center. I was shocked it was pressed by RTI.

16. The only problems I've had with the many RTI pressings that I have was with a couple of Classic Records issues. One Crosby, Stills and Nash LP had a wrinkled label and another had a slight warp. Classic Records replaced the records quickly and all the records I bought from them after that were inspected before shipping to me and flattened each record for free, which they usually charged $1. for.
    Here is a video I posted on YouTube of the QRP off-center pressing:

And speaking of poor quality and off-center pressings. I'm not sure who pressed it, but also a reason why I avoid buying records from the Disney record company:
    Poor quality of Walt Disney Records #2

17. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I doubt I'd even consider sending that back.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  18. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident

As long as it doesn't affect the tracking or sound, I could care less about warping. My most warped playable copy of anything is a worn copy of Timepieces: The Best of Eric Clapton that I got far $1 at a flea market. No skips! None of my new records have any warp problems.

19. russk

russk Forum Resident Thread Starter

So for those that don't mind warps. What do you think about VTA adjustment? A millimeter or two of up and down at the stylus translates into difference in SRA that would equal quite a large VTA adjustment.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  20. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I never think about VTA, unless there's some obvious problem. And there's never an obvious problem.

21. fogzax

fogzax Forum Resident

I really hate warps! That's the reason I mostly buy from amazon because of their no questions asked returns policy - although other traders and record companies are also more than reasonable. I will settle for a single light warp on a record but I hate it when a record is not flat so you can actually see a few mm of space under the record as it rotates.

A bit of a story though about storage flattening an LP. I bought a double LP - soundtrack to the film Baron Blood from Dagored records and LP2 was warped - the company sent me a replacement and the second LP was still warped so I basically just gave one copy to the charity shop and kept the other as I figured most copies were probably going to be the same. Anyway I pulled it off the shelf recently and lo and behold the warp has gone! So it's not alway bad to stack records quite tightly I guess - you can see how warped it used to be here -

I'm tempted to try out the analogue seduction flattener on some of my warped records - you can pay to have them flattened on a one by one basis - ORB DF-01ia High-end Audio Vinyl LP Record Flattener

22. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident

The flattest new records I've ever bought were EU pressings of the new Eagles remasters I got at Barnes & Noble. Dead quiet as well.

23. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Warpage has definitely been a problem with new vinyl over the past several years - much more so than it ever was for me with new records back in the 80s or 90s. For me the biggest problem by far is off center pressings, but I still encounter more warpage than I should. The problem, unlike surface noise and off center pressings, is that it's difficult to determine where/when the warp occurred, as it could have easily happened after the LP left the pressing plant.

In many cases, I can live with a very mild warp.

24. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

I completely understand your frustration but, honestly, this amount of warp wouldn't bother me at all.

25. fogzax

fogzax Forum Resident

It's really an OCD kinda thing I just want my record to be flat :) - it doesn't help that my deck is at eye level so I can really see the warps.

wavethatflag likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.