Stylus cleaning thread*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by wpjs, May 6, 2022.

1. SCM

SCM Senior Member

Magic Eraser before each side and I don`t play any records that haven`t been US cleaned.
    Been using ME for 15 years or so with no ill effects :righton:

cnolanh, jcmusic and Upstateaudio like this.
  2. felizecat

felizecat Forum Resident

I clean my stylus every 2 weeks or so, and always immediately after playing an old record (even if I cleaned it well before). I use a small brush, but I found out that it is not enough, as I use a usb microscope to check. I always find some stuff stuck on the needle. Blutack did not work and I have yet to use a Magic eraser.

Since the needle is removable (a Nagaoka MP110), I use the microscope (powerful enough to clearly see the stylus) to magnify my vision on it, and I use the brush as well as a toothpick of which I slanted an end to a flat screwdriver shape. I use that shape to scoop up the remaining gunk left, very delicately (need steady hands).

I will go around the tip, and get some darker substance from this on the tip of the stylus, even though the stylus looks clean.

I am not recommending this method; just sharing how I do it, and it works so far.

3. Gie663

Gie663 Forum Resident

Every listening session starts with AT607. And then a dry brush stroke after every side.

4. theMot

theMot Forum Resident

Every couple of weeks or so. I only do it just “because” if I’m being honest. I’m surprised there are people cleaning the stylus every side or even every record… Do you really think it makes that much difference? How do you know you’re even cleaning stuff off unless you check with a microscope?

I’m of the belief that the stylus pretty much cleans itself via friction of the contact patch in the groove. There is still gunk further up the stylus but that doesn’t effect the sound. It’s more important to take care of the records and ensure they are clean before playing than cleaning the stylus.

5. Leroyd

Leroyd Forum Resident

Cleaning the stylus before every side takes a couple of seconds, does not harm to the stylus and guarantees optimum results. To do it every 2 weeks is not efficient in my opinion and yes it does make a difference.

Zafu, GyroSE, SAMAUL and 3 others like this.
  6. Josep Fernandez

Josep Fernandez Forum Resident

Same here.

7. Josep Fernandez

Everytime i am about to play a record i check stylus with a small microscope to see if it is dirty or not. If dirty, i try with the brush.. if dirt remains there then i use the magic eraser.

8. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

I do it fairly often. Just a quick sweep with a brush back to front every four or five records.

9. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

I start by making sure every record is clean to start even brand new records.

Record cleaning= Spin Clean preclean followed by a second cleaning with a Record Doctor RCM. I may add a Humminguru to the process this summer and just use the RCM for drying after the UC cleaning.

Before each play I hit the LP with a Zerostat to help minimize static electricity followed by using a camera lense blower to blow off any dust. Works great and I have never needed to use a brush on a LP before playing.

I clean the stylii every 3-4 LP's first with a magic eraser then with Clear Audio Diamond Cleaner fluid followed with a light brushing with a vintage Discwasher stylii brush to remove any potential Magic Eraser particles. Takes less than 5 minutes to clean the stylii.

I have checked the stylii with a microscope at work from time to time and they are always spotless.

10. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have never heard of using a magic eraser?
    Do you just dip the stylus onto the eraser…?
    Or do you use the eraser as a brush?

11. Josep Fernandez

Not as a brush. Careful.
    You dip on the eraser.

Muzyck and jcmusic like this.
  12. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

You dip. I make slight movements once its dipped for extra effect but you should not drag it like a brush.

13. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I'm not certain if you meant Last brand "Stylast" fluid above or not. But "Stylast" in particular is claimed to be a stylus preservation fluid rather than a cleaner.

I apply Stylast immediately after quickly brushing my stylus before each side of an album. I'm frankly uncertain as to whether Stylast works as claimed or not. But I at least know that it doesn't hurt. And its dirt cheap, so why not? I'm still using the same bottle I purchased back in the mid 80s. So the price per play appears to be small fractions of a penny.

Leonthepro likes this.
  14. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Never. I just brush the LP before I play it.

roverb likes this.
  15. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

:yikes:

Leroyd and Bingo Bongo like this.
  16. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Swann36 and Andy Saunders like this.
  17. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Its definitely LAST cleaner (#4) and not the stylus treatment. I see no point in cleaning the stylus then putting something on it that leaves a residue. I want only the stylus to have contact with the groove without any foreign matter that might generate distortion or noise.

Kyhl likes this.
  18. rangda

rangda Forum Resident

I clean it with Lyra SPT after each listening session. All records are cleaned with a degritter before playback.

GyroSE likes this.
  19. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I clean mine whenever it looks dirty (clearly has hair or fibers or whatever stuck to it) with AT stylus cleaner, and if it doesn’t look dirty (most of my records are very clean, but occasionally if I didn’t quite get everything out of the grooves during cleaning some crap will stick to the stylus) I’ll just use my mofi stylus brush back to front a couple times.

I had been using a zerodust knockoff but even though I’ve personally never had issues like some others supposedly have, I’ve stopped using it since my last stylus replacement. My new stylus is AT cleaner and mofi brush only.

So far absolutely zero issues. Like I said I keep my records clean, so typically there’s not much if anything to clean off. I personally don’t see any reason to clean it more often. I have cats so I have probably an above average amount of fibers in the air floating around. If there’s no cat hair visible at all, it’s probably good enough to play my mostly used collection.

20. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I have an Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner Pro X ultrasonic record cleaning machine which I use to clean all my records before their first play on my turntable. I also use an Integrityhifi Tru-Sweep record sweep as the records are playing. If needed I use a carbon fiber brush before playing the LP. That is all to say, not much makes it onto to my stylus.

After the Onzow-gate flap at the end of last year I switched from the DS Audio ST-50 Stylus Cleaner. It was another gel based cleaner, like the Onzow, which was mentioned as having some of the same issues. I went to the Flux HiFi - Sonic Electronic Stylus Cleaner, which I purchased from Music Direct last December. @Old Zorki II these two threads may be of interest.

Ultrasonic Stylus Cleaners
    Ultrasonic stylus cleaner - the results speak for themselves.

Per the manufacturer's suggestion I clean my stylus with the Flux every 5 LPs / 10 sides.

Swann36 likes this.
  21. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

Audio Technica vibrating pad cleaner (not ultrasonic, I can hear the pitch frequency)

Pretty much before every play.

I only play clean records, have a Moth wet vacuum LP cleaner, so don't have to worry about too much dirt and residue

BrettyD and Leroyd like this.
  22. Static Discharge

Static Discharge Forum Resident

I use an old Discwasher stylus brush I bought new in the 80's as part of a Discwasher record cleaning set. Mostly use it dry but if the stylus looks real grungy, I'll use some liquid with the brush. I don't have a set cleaning schedule. Visual inspection determines when I clean.

23. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

The new ME sheets are a godsend for me.

24. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

I clean my Air Tight PC-1 Supreme once a month with an enzymatic cleaner, which is what my dealer recommends.

25. arem

arem Forum Resident

I clean mine with a dry brush at the end of a listening session, but my records are all well cleaned so there’s rarely much there at the end of a stack of records. Doing it after every side seems like overkill, if you are anal enough to do that your records are probably clean enough that its not necessary for every side. But whatever makes you happy.