Stylus cleaning thread*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by wpjs, May 6, 2022.

1. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Onzow as needed...

2. As the records I play are either new or cleaned on my VPI RCM, I might use a stylus brush before I play an individual album or when I play a stack of albums, I'll use the brush once before the first and second stacks. I haven't had a problem with the stylus getting dusty or dirty for quite awhile. I do blow the records off with canned air before playing, also. Occasionally, I will inspect the stylus under a stylus microscope for wear and cleanliness, but it rarely gets dirty and hasn't show wear after 500 to 1,000 plays. I compare the stylus I am using to a brand new unused stylus.

KoopaChaloopa, theMot and DK Pete like this.
  3. KoopaChaloopa

KoopaChaloopa Forum Resident

Man that sounds like a lot of work. But I like the ritual you do. I would not be surprised if I one day join you in doing this.

4. It is better err on the side of caution, but a stylus will last a lot longer if it is touched sparingly and is only used to play clean and undamaged records. With the frequency of newer record pressings being pressed off-center, I can't believe that situation is good for stylus life.

5. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is the magic eraser safe?
    I have heard dry brush only

Echoes Myron likes this.
  6. The Curator

The Curator Forum Resident

For the deck that plays records I've bought from new, just a dry brush once in a long while or if I see obvious fluff with the naked eye.

For the deck that plays second hand records, if they've been cleaned then as above, otherwise a dry brush now and again.

Rightly or not, I've found that if you have or new or clean enough records then they in conjunction with the stylus more or less self clean. I favour low intervention when it comes to cleaning.

7. SCM

SCM Senior Member

Yes...I use ME after every side and have been for years :righton:

8. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

I wait until I hear something that's not right, and 99% it's something stuck to the stylus, and a quick brush with distilled and a 90 degree tight bristle brush, it's clean and all better.

I let my ears be my guide. I can tell if something is off, and always start with a quick brush of the stylus. Sometimes one of my carts goes many sides before getting tended to, other times I might have to clean it after two sides. It just depends what it was plowing through, if a beagle hair got aloft with the AC on...

Many times a quick puff of air from the Rocket Blower I leave sitting around for my optics is all it needs, knock off the dust bunny which when you live in AZ with fans / AC going six months out of the year is what you get.....

Some really have really clean styli though!!! Since I run multiple TT's I'm always looking for a happy medium to save time...

Kyhl likes this.
  9. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Totally. I have had my stylus scoped by a tech after using the ME for a few years. All was good.

I typically give the stylus a light touch with the Magic Eraser every six sides oe so. I only have to wet clean it maybe once a year.

10. downloadsofist

downloadsofist Forum Resident

Interesting to see people talk about cleaning records with every play - we talking carbon fiber brush? I wet clean a record about once every 10 years.

11. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Once I brought a Shure into Needle Dr and they checked it under the scope. It went something like this.
    ND: Do you clean your stylus?
    Me: Occasionally.
    ND: You should do it more.

Dry brush every record or so. Wet brush and Magic Eraser when I hear something off.

I miss Needle Dr.

12. Marantz31

Marantz31 Forum Resident

I'm using a AT V95ML stylus (on a Technics 1210).

How often do I realistically need to clean the stylus. I highlight that word because I'm aware that retailers of cleaning solutions are likely to advise that you clean as much as possible.

I do not have a record cleaner and probably won't get one, given the small number of records I own. I'm basically just doing needledrops of my existing vinyl.

Also, I'm reading a lot about the magic eraser, worth a try?

13. Jari S.

Jari S. Forum Resident

I use Audio-Technica AT617a stylus cleaner. I lower the stylus in it twice after every lp-side. I’ve had no problems with stylus being dirty. Takes few seconds.

AT617aCartridge Stylus Cleaner

14. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

It depends a lot on how clean your records are and how strong your OCD is, say from every record side to 10-20 records. I have tried magic eraser but quickly dismissed it because I found it ineffective compared to other methods.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
    BrentB and Marantz31 like this.
  15. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I'm using the Flux Hifi Sonic (approximately after every fifth album played) and in between that I use a dry brush that came with a Denon cart approx after each album played. This works for me. The Flux Hifi is expensive for what it is, but it'a a quality device and it works great.

16. Tiger Rag

Tiger Rag Well-Known Member

I shouldn't get to hung up about it. Check every now and then, nothing wrong with magic eraser it does work. And as for cleaning your stylus after every side of a record well that's just taking ocd to another level. Moongel pads work great as well.

17. Marantz31

Marantz31 Forum Resident

Does the gel remain on the stylus?

18. Jari S.

Jari S. Forum Resident

No it does not.

Jimi Floyd and Marantz31 like this.
  19. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

Having a removable headshell, I just flip it over and use a little cosmetic brush that originally came in the box with the Denon 103R cart. Always brush towards the front of the cart; not the back I am told.

20. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I use the same cartridge. I dry brush frequently, not necessarily before every side, but usually multiple times per session. Beyond that, I stick with Audio-Technica’s cleaning products, based on the simplistic logic that if they’re selling it, they’re vouching for it being safe to use on their own styli. I have an AT617a gel cleaner and a bottle of AT607a cleaning fluid. I only ever use either of these rarely, if I feel the dry brush isn’t getting everything. My current stylus has about 200 hours on it, and I have used the gel cleaner on it I think one time, the fluid never, so far. These are things I have around in case I need them, not to be used regularly.

Marantz31 and Nielsoe like this.
  21. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Another current thread that gives some good examples How often do you clean stylus?

An oft discussed topic with probably every possible permutation at one point covered!! I read all sorts of things I'd never dream of doing, and more frequently than I'd ever do it - but hey, but that's audio!

Marantz31, Jari S. and Big Blue like this.
  22. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

I use a Klaudio UCM to clean my records meaning there typically won't be a whole lot on the records or in the grooves to begin with. Historically with the various types of stylus cleaners I have used, I typically clean my stylus every 10 sides. This is for typical 33RPM records. For audiophile 2 x 45 pressings I count both sides of the 45 rpm disc as one single side.

I too have been using the Flux Hifi Sonic for just over a year now. There was no info from the manufacturer on their recommendations of cleaning. I wrote to Flux and was told by them that they recommend every fifth album (=10 sides) just as I have been doing.

Nielsoe and Marantz31 like this.
  23. Marantz31

Marantz31 Forum Resident

Does anyone have a link for the Magic Eraser (btw is that a trade mark? I'm seeing a lot of 'magic' sponges for sale)

I think I may go for something cheap and cheerful..

24. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

I think it's called MR.SIGA Melamine Sponge in UK

Marantz31 likes this.
  25. Marantz31

Marantz31 Forum Resident

I don't have a microscope but have looked at my stylus under a powerful magnifying lens and can see that the tip is black. No other obvious gunk on it. Fingers crossed the black will be removed with this sponge.