How often do you listen to music with headphones?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by John Buchanan, Jul 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma Thread Starter

I just thought it may be interesting to see how unusual headphone listening is in our community. Please mention what are your most used headphones. Mine are in my signature and I voted "always".

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  2. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Usually for me. Sennheiser HD600 are my best ones, Bowers and Wilkins PX my best wireless ones, and my latest acquisition , AirPods Pro, are my out and about phones. I haven’t used my Oppo PM3s for while; I’ll have to give them a go.

malco49 and Bill Why Man like this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Never. I wouldn't say I hate them but speakers offer a much better experience. Personally, I find the music can breathe when listened through speakers whereas headphones offer a more claustrophobic experience. Some might refer to it as more intimate.

When I didn't work from home, I would listen through headphones every day while riding the subway. It certainly was time that I valued and I enjoyed listening as I oftentimes didn't have the time to listen when I got home but since I'm saving 2h/day of traveling time, I can take that time and listen through my system which is a more rewarding experience for me.

4. james

james Summon The Queen

Daily while working. Never when not. I like headphones fine, but I much prefer speakers.

Sullygr2221 likes this.
  5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

AKG - K 240 - studio headphones

guitarguy likes this.
  6. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

I chose usually as since I got the new Grado Hemp headphones, I will be doing a lot more listening with headphones. I also have Senn 600's and Quad Era 1's. I think the Grado's are going to be the go to choice for me. Only had them since yesterday and need to get to my weekend to give them a serious workout.

rodentdog likes this.
  7. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma Thread Starter

I've always seen headphones as a way of getting champagne performance for beer budget price and size, although the new Mysphere 3.2 headphones weren't cheap.

8. timind

timind phorum rezident

Almost every night for 30 minutes or so. It's become part of my nightly routine which helps me relax for sleep.

After trying several makes and models. I chose Beyerdynamic DT-990s.

9. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

Listened to HD6XX at the office most days. Have Audeze LCD-2 that I listen to 2-4 night of the week at home.

I prefer speakers, but it's not always possible to listen that way.

LakeMountain and timind like this.
  10. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

Whenever my OH is listening to something else, and my music would interfere. Otherwise speakers all the way

I have a pair of Sennheiser and a pair of Beyer Dynamic that I bought in the late 1970s or early 1980s, both of which are still going strong....

Doctor Fine and timind like this.
  11. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

"I listen to headphones most of the time. Speakers are for people with money." -- Paul D. Millar (Slugbug)

CDFanatic and timind like this.
  12. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

Use Grado at night when I'm in bed reading.

13. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Often when I'm out and about - I use Samsung Galaxy in-ears which are excellent. Ignore the reviews, I can only imagine the reviewers didn't break them in for a couple of hours. I usually listen to Spotify, podcasts, live radio or flac files on my S10.

SandAndGlass and timind like this.
  14. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Every day.

CDFanatic likes this.
  15. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Hmm....it's hard to say. The only time I use headphones is when I don't want to disturb my wife and kid. So they go to bed, I stay up - headphones it is. They go shopping - speakers at near concert level it is!

Doctor Fine, JeffMo, SirMarc and 3 others like this.
  16. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

There doesn’t appear to be a suitable poll option for this answer, but I use headphones for a little while each night. Usually it’s the AKG K702 headphones, but sometimes Grado SR80e.

JeffMo and timind like this.
  17. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

I will use my h-phones if I really feel like cranking up some volume, usually at night.
    There are two pair I listen to: Sennheiser HD414's from 1973, kept alive by new
    pads and a total I believe of 2-3 elements. I think the pads when I acquired them
    were gray/white headband. In the 90's I spray painted them black and got the
    yellow pads (larger 424's) to upgrade the look. Grado SR60e's that I bought back
    in the mid 90's still sound great, no replacement parts. Both are lightweight and
    comfortable,

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    rocnred, Mbe and timind like this.
  18. Werner Berghofer

Werner Berghofer Forum Resident

Usually for me, Beyerdynamic T1 with Beyerdynamic A20 headphone amp. I enjoy resolution, details and great volume without bothering my neighbours.

John Buchanan and timind like this.
  19. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Grados almost every nite.

timind likes this.
  20. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

Not much difference between usually and always, so how about very often!

luckybaer and timind like this.
  21. beep

beep Senior Member

Half the time, sometimes because I don't want to disturb anyone and sometimes because my headphone rig sounds so good. (I didn't vote because there's no category for half the time and rarely and usually don't really fit).

luckybaer likes this.
  22. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Either Sennheiser HD650's or Focal Clear's are my choice for daily listening.

23. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Only when doing digital transfers at the PC. :)
    [​IMG]

Mbe, luckybaer and timind like this.
  24. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

I voted rarely (could have done with a 50 / 50 option!) as I'd generally prefer to listen through speakers, but since getting my Stax SRS-7100 system a few months ago I listen more on headphones than ever previously. Absolutely wonderful bit of kit - my headphone listening before tended to be limited only to when I 'had to' in order to keep the peace at home, whereas I now quite often listen via the Stax through choice as a 'different' listening experience.

My room is overly full with records etc so I doubt I'm getting 100% out of the speakers that I could do, not to mention that the Primaluna has 8 Power Tubes that aren't cheap to replace (!), so I tend to save speakers now for the times I can have longer listening sessions (say 2 hours plus) at a reasonable volume and go Stax the rest of the time.

Alan2 and timind like this.
  25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Before the Covid19 will be rarely. After Covid19 since we both work from home will still be rarely :D
    Well maybe a little more than rarely but not enough to get to usually.
    However, I enjoy my Cary 300sei and the Sennheiser HD800 or HD650 whenever I get a chance to listen to them.

timind and ssmith3046 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.