How often do you listen to music with headphones?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by John Buchanan, Jul 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Is there some consensus on these? I will try to get one of these to try but it will be hard given that (1) gatherings like CanJam are not going to happen soon and (2) my biases are admitted. Anyone want to lend me one of them?

2. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

There’s a hell of a range between “rarely” and “usually”...

JeffMo and Gasman1003 like this.
  3. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Ah, so you have one of those households with a sense of order... :laugh:

Gasman1003 likes this.
  4. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

Re-thinking about the original question I came to the conclusion that I do listen to headphones more often than I thought but it's for playing games and not for listening to music.

There is nothing particularly HiFi about the headphones I'm using for gaming, these are the Audeze Mobius and since I'm playing in the study where I only have a pair of speakers, the ability of the Mobius to re-create a somewhat convincing surround is a boon when playing some games, such as X-Com 2.

5. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma Thread Starter

Considering that the first two have been out of production for many years, maybe see if you can use your Stereophile contacts to have a listen to a Mysphere. Stax Sigmas of any type are unobtainium. The AKG K1000 may be available in someone's collection.

6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

You are correct sir!

John Buchanan and Gasman1003 like this.
  7. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

I guess it is not going to happen unless someone volunteers a loaner.

8. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I don't think that's true. It's not an equipment issue, or at least not just an equipment issue, it's a perception/psychology issue and maybe also a definition issue, ie what people mean by "soundstage." The perception of a soundstage in front of you in a stereo recording is an illusion, whether you're listening to phones or speakers. Some of us don't experience that illusion with either, some of us not with one or another. I've never heard anything with any sort of headphones or any particular headphones with a stereo recording that is "soundstage" of the sort I hear with speakers or as I understand sound stage to mean. That doesn't mean I don't hear the spatial cues encoded on the recording when I'm listening on headphones, it means I don't perceive it as taking place in, around or in front of me or as if in any way I'm in that recorded space. It's more like an experience of looking at something at a remove like looking at slide through an microscope to me.

9. molinari

molinari Forum Resident

I've always preferred speakers over headphones. But I had to start using headphones for work a few years ago, and now I really like them. I have a mix of 'phones and IEMs, my main ones are HD 600s and Etymotic ER4XRs with a Schiit Jotunheim. I've tried many TOTL headphones and earphones, but can't find anything that's more reliable for mixes.

10. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

How often do you listen to music with headphones?

Succinctly :)
    Often or most / every night (late), lights out, recumbent pre-sleep = hours.

11. tumpux

tumpux Well-Known Member

Ah, Stax Sigmas.. we have a gentleman with a fine taste here.

sean3089 and John Buchanan like this.
  12. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

I do all my listening with headphones through necessity not because I don't like speakers. I would like to have a dedicated listening room with speakers but it's just not possible.
    I work a permanent night shift and almost all of my listening is done at the weekend, late at night and into the early morning once the family have gone to bed, so headphones are my best option.
    I really enjoy my late night sessions sat in the dark with the headphones on and a rum & coke to keep me company.

My headphones are the Focal Utopia used with a McIntosh MHA150 Headphone Amp/DAC.

JeffMo, alarickc, Mbe and 4 others like this.
  13. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I love Denon cans. I have a headphone rig setup in my family room. I use the Denon AH D600's there. I also have a headphone rig in my bedroom where the Denon AH-D5200's live. Denon cans are excellent and I drive both cans with iFI audio amps/tubes and DAC 's. I listen very much but !also love speakers.

Mbe likes this.
  14. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

I love headphones and have a great rig but rarely use them these days mainly because my work pattern has changed. I used them in my office when I was having quiet time and now I never have quiet time ;/

15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Nice setup!!

Voodoo Child likes this.
  16. John Buchanan

Been listening to a few Chesky Records releases. There's some really nice music there, and well recorded too. David Hazeltine Trio (Manhattan, Impromptu), Fred Hersch Trio (Dancing In The Dark), Hank Jones/Christian McBride/Jimmy Cobb (West Of Fifth). They need some more exposure.

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

occasionally.

18. Usually, every day. I do have some decent speakers and listen to them maybe once a week.

19. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

I'm a Celebrity is on now in the UK, so all the bloody time, unless she's at work.

Audio-Technica ATH-M20X- Cheap but good enough for me.

20. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

With a baby in the house, headphones are a necessity. Good thing I like my Sennheiser HD600s.

JeffMo likes this.
  21. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

Listening on some now for the first time in months. Always forget how good they can sound but also how sweaty they can make my ears on prolonged listening sessions.

22. jboersma

jboersma Tower of Power

This poll could really use a "Occasionally" option between "Rarely" and "Usually." I use mine once or twice a week which feels "occasional" to me.

23. Bloodbuzz459

Bloodbuzz459 Forum Resident

Finally managed to get a phone that has aptX Adaptive. Have to say it's a serious step up on my PX7's.

Might encourage me to pick them up a bit more after they have been relatively redundant since picking up my hi-fi.

24. John Buchanan

Never fear - it's not that important to the poll. It's more to get an idea of how many people listen often/don't ever use headphones.

25. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

Never.

Speakers for music.

Earbuds occasionally for podcasts if I'm listening in bed and don't want it to bother my wife.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.