How often do you use Discogs?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Vern, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

it can be tedious to go through all the variations to find your copy. Then sometimes what is otherwise your copy is listed with slightly different info, and you're still not sure. But overall, it's pretty amazing.

wallpaperman and PearlJamNoCode like this.
  2. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

I've found it easy to get mistakes corrected on Discogs. Edit the erroneous information and all is better with the world.
    Better than staying away from the site because people sometimes get things wrong in any case.

MaidenMan, Dave and phish like this.
  3. irong

irong Forum Resident

PROS:
    - Useful to make sure you actually order the mastering/pressing you're looking for;
    - Prices are generally more honest than on ebay/amazon marketplace;
    - Some people there are actual music collectors and it's nice to deal with them;
    - Nice database to keep track of your collection.

CONS:
    - The search engine is a joke;
    - When you pay, the seller has to aknoledge reception of payment manually and sometimes they forgot, which delays shipping.

4. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I use it quite often for research and have bought from the site as well. Have also uploaded record-label photos of some early Stones pressings.

5. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Earlier this year I posted a couple of obscure free jazz albums for sale. 15 minutes after posting I got a message from someone in Germany offering me $800.00 for them. I agreed, got the money 15 minutes later from Paypal, packed them up and sent them out the same day. A great experience all around. I've sold half a dozen things since. Need to post more things. I find Discogs to be a great source of info.

6. Vern

Vern Forum Resident Thread Starter

What? The search engine is freakin' great! You can search and refine by so many different categories!

7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

8. papatwo

papatwo Abiding Member

Several times per week. Discogs is a great resource for researching specific releases of an album. I also use it to purchase hard to find albums. It's pretty great.

9. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I use it pretty often. Apart from informations about different versions of an album, I also like to use it to get cover art. When I ripped my 85-disc boxset of Beethoven's complete works, I was totally amazed to find the covers for all discs (front and back) there. Great site.

JasonA likes this.
  10. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

rarely, but it's good for bootlegs

11. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

I've got my collection completely up to date on there. I also contribute a lot.

There's a certain satisfaction in identifying that mysterious writing credit and filling it in..

I scour 45 cat and even the BMI database for information, I'm sick. :help:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    phish likes this.
  12. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I am using it to catalog my collection as I listen to it and decide what I'm keeping and what I am not. I kind of have this love/hate thing with the site. But I log in nearly every day...

I do not, and probably would not sell there. But I do buy occasionally. It is very dangerous to buy there because you can find just about anything!!!

A wonderful resource, but overwhelming at times.

13. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

haven't had too much luck with discogs. sellers seam to have their own grading scale that defies logic.

ymmv

14. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

I'm there every day. I'm in the process of selling a substantial portion of my vinyl collection and I find Discogs to be really great.

15. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

I use it whenever I'm shopping for LPs in person. It's saved me from buying second and third copies of non-remarkable LPs on numerous occasions.

Have only purchased an item there once, and it was fine.

16. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

I use it a lot,it's good for information on first pressings;)I checked it out before buying my Bob Marley UPRISING Sterling copy.:drool:
    I use it also to put covers in my Itunes Library.

17. Joshua277456

Joshua277456 Forum Resident

Very often. I don't know any other free, online references which have as much info as Discogs.

Dave likes this.
  18. irong

irong Forum Resident

Ok, thinking about it, I admit it improved in the last year or so. But I remember a while ago, it was a chore to search for something with a rather common name (e.g. "The Who" or "The Killers") because it would either return a "Not found" result, or a 100 unrelated ones that you had to comb through to get what you wanted.

19. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Every day to look up stuff.I have been buying a lot more from Discogs of late,because I have had such bad luck winning ebay auctions.

20. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

It feels like I use it about every eight seconds.

Garish likes this.
  21. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

Almost everyday. My user is RingoStarr39 on there too.

22. GuyMontag21

GuyMontag21 Forum Resident

Yeah, almost daily...it's fantastic, but you gotta watch your back on some releases.

Are there any sites that compare? If I want to find a rare record, I'd like more resources than just this and eBay.

23. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

great for finding old Jazz records ,not perfect ,but excellent for Info

24. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Just started using it. It's great for hard to find stuff.

25. Mogens

Mogens Forum Resident

I tend to buy a lot of used classical lps, so it's useful to have my collection catalogued so that I can check on which pieces and performances I already have. I've contributed a few, but generally find the process annoying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.