How often do you use Discogs?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Vern, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I use it many times a week.

As with the DR site, I wish people would include ALL the information pertinent to a release. That includes more pictures of the disc and matrix detail as THAT is what really matters.......along with the outside artwork, catalog numbers, bar codes etc...

I send photos from the discog sites to my potential (ebay, amazon) sellers to see if they'll confirm a disc I want from them.

Lost In The Flood and rxcory like this.
  2. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

a lot but I starting hate it! :realmad: why?

beware! a lot sellers OVER GRADE! records, Im sick to receive records graded like Mint or NM in a trashy VG+ condition...
    the problem is sellers can't add pictures so some scammers play with that to overgrade records, also a lot sellers listing WRONG the records too.

everytime I need ask first "is really this record?" some say "sorry is not, is listing wrong, thank you for alert me"

also my new rule is DON'T BUY without request pictures!

I even receive a trashy promo in a destroyed condition graded like Mint Unplayed! come on!!! very deshonest sellers;

I have less bad experiences on ebay than discogs.

I think discogs don't want add the feature of pictures to sell more... a BLIND sells, and to avoid more work for sellers.

I like discogs but again BEWARE a lot sellers overgrade! there.

Giorgio, Echo and mooseman like this.
  3. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

Yes, this is true.

I think there's this thing on discogs about making a point of giving exposure to 'trusted sellers' as a way of aiding decision making. Some sellers are very professional and grade conservatively and with enough feedback start to build a reputation. Sometimes it's worth doing a bit of digging.

One of my annoyances with discogs is the way deceitful sellers are given the power to reciprocate negative feedback, and you can't request it be removed. Sellers over-grade knowing that the worst that can happen is the buyer will return the record until eventually they'll find someone who can't be bothered and they'll finally be rid of it. As a buyer I get sick and tired of wasting my time returning stuff - you know the seller is poor but you can't warn others for fear of retaliatory negative feedback. Sometimes I'm amazed certain sellers have 100% feedback when it's obvious they can't/wont grade properly. My argument to discogs admin is that in a lot of cases those at fault can easily be identified and feedback removed - a quick trawl through emails will often reveal a poor seller or a buyer that's pulling a fast one.

Giorgio, Echo and stenway like this.
  4. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

discogs Support Request needs to be entered first by the buyer and yes it is cumbersome....
    The 100% feedback amazes me too for some sellers, but let's face it, that can be bought (reimbursing etc...)
    I'm in a favour of a 'elite-seller badge of honour' system so buyers will know which sellers will grade conservatively and are professional sellers. You first have to earn it ....

5. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Avery's great misread thread titles; pt.362: "How often do you use drugs?"

Marble Index and jon9091 like this.
  6. skiddlybop

skiddlybop Forum Resident

Regularly n the last five years, and the shopping cart is basically a book mark for records I've discovered on sale or relocated.

7. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

I only became aware of Discogs recently, but now I use it quite often.

8. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I use it when CD's are overpriced on eBay and Amazon. Very often I pick up the same disc on Discogs for a few bucks.
    For example, I was looking for Carole King's The City Japan CD, with her pre Tapestry "band", and they were looking for $50-$80 on Amazon and eBay. I picked it up for $12 on Discogs.

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.
  9. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

On occasion, but the shipping to Canada is usually barely any less than on Amazon.

Freewheelin69 and carrolls like this.
  10. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Using it daily. Most sellers I encounter are okay.

I really appreciate that so many contribute to this very useful site. It's a work in progress, so yes, it contains errors and omissions. I accept that. I'm adding and fixing releases as I go. And I'm trying to add my entire collection, but that's a slow process.

hominy likes this.
  11. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

Never purchased from it but have been using it as a reference... Never found anything at price I'm willing to pay, or if I do, the postage costs are rather over the top.
    Who knows, may eventually find a seller with something I want at a reasonable price!

12. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

I've only bought vinyl from UK sellers on discogs, but all my purchases have been conservatively graded.

13. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

also a lot sellers are mad when I request pictures, even for expensive records $100+, maybe they want to hide the REAL condition of the records!!! :mad:

my new golden rule is "DONT BUY ANYTHING IF YOU DON'T SEE REAL PICTURES",

the word "unplayed" sucks on discogs, a lot sellers put "unplayed" but they don't know if was played or not, just they think because shiny!

others don't say anything if are cut or punch holed or if is a record club record or a promo, just listed like a retail MINT record, come on!!! punch holes and cuts sucks!

Giorgio likes this.
  14. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I'm not sure that pictures are all that helpful. Sure, they may show you what condition the cover and sleeve are in, and if the record looks shiny, but they won't tell you how the record will play back.

What I find is that a lot of the big store sellers are simply visually grading the records.

Kristeva likes this.
  15. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

'When purchasing items, it's really a hit or a miss. I only buy cds when I can't get it at Amazon or EBay. The positive side of Discogs is there are much more alternative albums to find for mostly a better price. There is, however, much bulls**t to find at Discogs when sellers are talking about the grading of their cds. I received recently a socalled 'mint' box set of which I think the former owner played football with...

For that reason I use it mostly for finding more details about certain cds, but I'm MISSING more and more ONE IMPORTANT VARIABLE:

Is the particular item to find in a digipack, jewel case or a Japanese mini-LP??

(I love jewel cases and detest digipacks, that's why)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  16. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

for me the artwork condition are very important, so of course if I see pictures is perfect, I can choose if buy or not.
    about the disc: yes I understand for discs, just a visual grade BUT!!! even that come on! you can say on the listing something like,
    "records with some little faints lines, not deep scratches" or "LOOKS unplayed, any single little faint" or if you really know that is a archive copy "Archive Copy, Never Played, Perfect, Stock Copy", you know describe in deep the record even that is just a visual grade!!!
    but believe when the record arrive I don't see any Mint at all... a crappy VG+.

even a seller sold me a record like unplayed new, and when arrive the artworks comes very bad ringwear VG+ and the disc? scratched a lot for the sleeeve, when I talk back with the seller they say me "well is not my problem that record is and old new stock copy I don't have time to check the condition inside, I just mark all like Mint because I know are old stock copies"
    what a deshonest seller, I have more stories like that on discogs,

other story? sellers that INCREASE the price of the item after you ask about the item! very funny...

17. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

I hear a lot of horror stories about discogs, namely from some of our local store owners. I have yet to buy or sell there myself. Like ebay, seems to be a lot of sellers asking top dollar for questionable condition items which seems to create misleading pricing expectations elsewhere.

One thing that I hate about discogs is how there's an entry for every pressing of a record when you perform a search, ironically I can never find the particular one I am looking for. Why can't they make it less cluttered? I also like to see comments about certain pressings but they are not very common, dodged a few bullets thanks to some commenters.

18. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I love Discogs - great place to sell stuff too. Their cataloging tool could use an update - some features have remained stubbornly unchanged for some time. My only rule is be careful when buying from DJ's. They seem to have a whole other yardstick for judging record quality. 'Very Good' seems to mean only TWO seam splits and 'Good' appears to translate as 'I found this on my roof'. :laugh:

19. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Ditto on all points. Add to that the facts that so many "first pressings" are not, many "monos" are stereos, many "gray labels" are rainbow labels, etc., plus the typical "Near Mints" are VG minuses.... Although I've found a few gems on there, the overall lack of attention to detail sometimes makes the buying experience on Discogs a risky proposition, especially if you are looking for a release with more than one pressing.

Leviethan likes this.
  20. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

FYI: You can get incorrect feedback like that removed. You have to file a Support request.

My biggest peeve with Discogs is how a lot of the rules are hidden away in their many pages of rules. Even when you click on "How to buy Music" in their help section, the page doesn't mention anything about support requests. I didn't even know what a Support Request was until I started lurking in the forums.

21. 007james

007james Forum Resident

Use it more for info than buying, purchased less than 10 cd's, 1 bad experience.......

22. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I only buy albums from sellers who answer my emails and questions about matrix numbers and such. Therefore, I only order once or twice a year from Discogs. I've found that the great majority of sellers don't respond to emails and have no idea what they're actually selling. I so often see counterfeits or reissues listed under pages of original pressings, or US pressings listed under other countries and vice versa. It's a minefield.

Giorgio and mahanusafa02 like this.
  23. relaxdrax

relaxdrax Forum Resident

This forum and Discogs are the 2 sites I frequent the most!

24. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

Yeah, I tried that when I got negged once but they weren't interested, which led to a lengthy argument about admin responsibilities and my argument that they should try and see the bigger picture by observing the email conversations. The guy listed the item as 'NM' - I sent an exploratory email asking if it played with any noise (which is more a tester than anything) and he said it had been played 'once or twice'. The LP turned up and was 'VG' at best - totally worn out and dirty - maybe even a 'G'. If I return the LP the seller gives a refund and so technically he's done nothing wrong. If I neg him in order to warn others he's deceitful discogs admin wont support me if he negs me back. If I can't be bothered to return the LP and neg him in frustration then they definitely wont support me because that would be deemed suspicious. Unless a seller behaves outrageously there's really no incentive to neg.

25. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I just use it do identify which disc release I own or am interested in, but yeah - its a great resource.

In most cases I end up really thankful I held on to the old CD I bought in 1987. (Or whenever.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.