How old is the average audiophile

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Fruff76, Jun 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

And now you have jumped off the scale, a true "power" audiophile with a brand new set of super tweeters! :agree:

Benzion likes this.
  2. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Age seems to matter less than whether not the person is married and/or has a family. Almost all 'audiophiles' I've known have been single or confirmed bachelors regardless of how old they are.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Benzion likes this.
  3. Sigh Lass

Sigh Lass Active Member

It's funny, but I bet a lot of us could claim to be the reason sound ordinances were put in law books in their home towns. I know by the time I was 22 I had like 16 speakers in my car, and was hated by the neighbors.

4. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Guilty as charged! Two divorces behind my belt. No plans for further matrimonial nonsense.:righton:

5. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

Married for 41 years and counting. The only thing she drew the line at was bass traps. But since I nearly electrocuted her at age 18 when the top was off my amplifier she at least knew what she was getting herself into :D

6. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Met two of them guys in the Brooklyn store in late 70s.
    I had to pick up a pair of Hartley speakers, the ones that were perfectly square with a dozen drivers behind the grill. WoW, John M.

Subagent likes this.
  7. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It seems like there are an awful lot of members here who are married and/or have a family. A lot of the older members have kids already out of college and therefore have no more real expense or time commitment on that front. In my case, I don’t have children yet, so I haven’t yet run into those costs eating into my disposable income.

It’s probably true that a single person has more freedom to spend money any way they want, but I don’t think it’s uncommon for married people to maintain some financial autonomy. In our case, we married after each living as independent adults for well over a decade, so complete joining of finances was really never part of our deal. The only spouse-based obstacle I ever face is the ol’ WAF when considering components that are going to be highly visible in our living space, and even then, I have found she’s less picky about aesthetics than I expect she will be, and in fact often less than I am myself. It may help that she also appreciates when music sounds really good, though she has absolutely no interest in knowing how it gets there.

8. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

I also realize a lot of the forum members skew on the older side of past generations. I'm probably on the younger end as a millennial and pretty much everyone I know has conceded that the wife holds 'house majority' of the bartering power when it comes down to finances, home decor and time allotment for family needs. The 'old ball and chain' is an amusing stereotype in print, but plenty of people I know have to do some serious negotiating for leisure time that does not directly involve the spouse and/or kids and often end up spending their time doing other stuff with the wife or family instead. And an hour or two of the day alone to listen to music falls into that trap for many. Coming home and firing up the loudspeakers generally won't fly when there are other responsibilities that need to be taken care of or a wife who demands your time and attention. When I talk to a lot of guys I used to go to shows a few years back about what they're watching on tv or listening to the usual answer is something that involves the family or the spouse.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    pdxway likes this.
  9. Vibrolux_Reverb

Vibrolux_Reverb Forum Resident

the opposite for me. Moving in with my gf has actually allowed me to save a considerable sum of money each month by splitting bills and rent which in turn allows me the financial freedom to buy records and gear. Guitar stuff too ; )

Lucky for me my gf loves my record addiction because she is really into music as well.

10. 911s55

911s55 Forum Resident

What about the above or below average ones?

11. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Another stickler for correct syntax?

12. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President Thread Starter

The average age of an audiophile. I posted it after about 4 pints of beer.

Ham Sandwich and pdxway like this.
  13. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

There you go, now you know your limit is three (way past my limit, by the way).

pdxway and Fruff76 like this.
  14. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

My friend got a professionally installed brand new Atmos setup with all B&W speakers (one step down from 800 series) and JL sub just last year in his living room.

He told me he just got another professionally installed Atmos setup upstairs.

He also got a third setup in his study.

He retired a few years ago and still happily married. :D

15. G E

G E Senior Member

Emotional age.... 10

16. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Well, I don’t know any wives and kids who don’t also like listening to music, but I’ll take your word for it.

17. I’m in my late 40’s but I first became an audiophile (whatever THAT is) when I was in high school.

18. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Next year my age will be a prime number. Prime number years are the best audiophile years. #AudiophilePrime #PrimeAudiophile

19. Dave Mac

Dave Mac Retired Sophisticated Gentleman Of Leisure

Old enough to know better and young enough to still listen to Zeppelin.

Dave Mac

SirMarc, 33na3rd, Randoms and 2 others like this.
  20. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

Very late 40’s.
    Might as well be 50

21. Leggs91203

Leggs91203 Forum Resident

44 right here.

I have song that spinning right now! Ian clearly tells us at the end, "No, you're never too old to rock 'n' roll If you're too young to die"
    Damn straight!

Randoms likes this.
  22. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

interesting question. The term, "audiophile," is a silly elistest term.
    If it means someone with an expensive hifi then, by proxy, such people will normally be older as it takes time to acrue the necessary wealth to afford such systems
    Of course, owning such a system does not mean that the owner appreciates music. It simply means they have an expensive system
    Appreciating music is what its all about.
    If someone has a cheap little hifi but really understands and appreciates music that they play then that persons system is worth so much more than the system bought to show off and impress people
    I love music. I have a good system that I have developed over time. But I am not an audiophile because in my book, theres no such thing.

23. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

:righton: That is why I posted the song.

apesfan likes this.
  24. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Man, I used to love! that song but I got too old and forgot it. To get back into Tull what CD of hits should I purchase, thanks, John M.

Randoms likes this.
  25. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Compilations are always difficult and Tull CDs are not always the best sounding, but for the choice of songs (shame about the edits) this is good.

Jethro Tull - The Very Best Of

apesfan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.