How popular were the Velvet Underground at the time?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rain_king, Aug 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Yes, they played them on WNEW FM in mid seventies. That was the first time I heard, Rock & Roll and Sweet Jane.
    My first album I heard by the VU was the live double album around 1974 or 75.

2. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Wind by Circus Maximus, that song was played a lot on the rock station WNEW FM here in the New York area in the early seventies.

3. Peter Mork

Peter Mork Forum Resident

Someday I'll post that whole tape, about three hours of proto free-form radio as it existed 54 years ago, with all the songs intact. It's interesting hearing what happened when there were few limits to programming, on a small station with lots of records and no mandate to sell anything.

4. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Yes, although the first copy that I bought was so used up that it sounded like Rice Krispies.

5. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

Along with a Bob Marley Legend poster.

Wait…that’s on the second day.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  6. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I think for myself it wasn't until Lou Reed's Transformer that I even became aware of Velvet Underground. I like Loaded but not much else.

7. sonicthesoundwave

sonicthesoundwave music is what maths does on a Saturday night

i'd be interested in hearing that!

Telemark, MC Rag and theholygoof like this.
  8. rain_king

rain_king Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think this is a good encapsulation of their somewhat unusual relationship to popularity; and really, their whole premise was very unique--how many up-and-coming bands have the benefit of an association with a major cultural figure like Warhol, who was at the time probably the best-known artist in the world and at the peak of his career?

But to me the major difference between someone like Steve Coleman vs. the Velvet Underground is that there is a surprisingly large number of different pressings of their first few albums in the late '60s and early '70s, given that they are considered by some to have been a semi-obscure band. Indeed, one of the inspirations for my starting this thread was seeing just how many Discogs entries there were for VU&N. My sense is that there was a lot of hope at Verve that they would be the next big thing and so there was a big push to get their records out there--but that after a few years it became clear they were not going to hit it big, and so they were probably regarded from an industry standpoint as something of a failure.

9. Peter Mork

Peter Mork Forum Resident

Back then, you'd be lucky to find a banana peel cover at a record store that hadn't been at least partly peeled.

And it was multiple copies of the same record in the same bin, as if someone thought there must be something besides a pink banana in one of these!

trumpet sounds likes this.
  10. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Well, I don't know if you ever got to have the experience of peeling an original '67 pressing, but...you know what it's like when you peel the plastic off a brand new smart phone screen? It is somehow even more satisfying than that.

theholygoof likes this.
  11. sonicthesoundwave

sonicthesoundwave music is what maths does on a Saturday night

i always got the impression that the label was only interested because of warhol, which is why lou fired him to make the band his own

Andy sat down to talk one day
    He said decide what you want
    Do you want to expand your parameters
    Or play museums like some dilettante
    I fired him on the spot, he got red and he called me a rat
    It was the worst word that he could think of
    And I've never seen him like that

Uuan likes this.
  12. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

This is believable to me. As interesting and artful as is Velvet Underground music, I can hardly believe anybody would really think they had serious major commercial appeal. It's just not that kind of music.

13. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I'm endlessly fascinated by this band. Every time I play their albums I get something new

Evethingandnothing and DISKOJOE like this.
  14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Sweet Jane, Rock And Roll, Stephanie Says, Sunday Morning, What Goes On, Beginning To See The Light, Who Loves The Sun..those are all highly melodic pop/rock songs with a lot of commercial appeal.

chervokas, Uuan and DISKOJOE like this.
  15. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Presented along with harsh drones and noise, and sounding like it was recorded on a Dictaphone in somebody's garage.

It does not sound at all commercial to me.

16. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

There are no harsh drones on any of the those tracks and the audio quality is superb. So, no.

Twinge Crispy and Uuan like this.
  17. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I didn't say there were.

No, it's not.

18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes you did, and yes it is.

Uuan likes this.
  19. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Please diagram that sentence.

20. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Same here.

WHFS played The Gift once and I was fascinated. Some months later they played Who Loves the Sun and I was confused as to how the same band had done both of those songs. I concluded that they must have had a "Beatles like" progression and Who Loves the Sun was an early, early tune before they discovered Warhol, Heroin, and other forms of decadence.

Imagine the further shock of learning that I was completely wrong and it had actually been the opposite with The Gift coming before Who Loves the Sun.

Uuan and Sidewinder43 like this.
  21. Uuan

Uuan Forum Resident

and later he became a tug boat captain !?

Sidewinder43 likes this.
  22. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I own one of Sterling’s UT Austin ID cards from the mid-1970s:

[​IMG]

Telemark, RudolphS, Ern and 4 others like this.
  23. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Picasso and Dali were still alive at the time, by the way, and, in any case, Warhol was not really that well known when he first became involved with the Velvets.

24. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

Very cool.

stepeanut likes this.
  25. INSW

INSW Senior Member

The Gift was my wedding song.

Sidewinder43 and acetboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.