How powerful was Arthur Godfrey back in the day?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DaleClark, Jul 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

According to my 85 year old Dad, Godfrey has his hand in everything radio and early TV. My Dad said Godfrey could make or break celebrities.

Now, I know AG was a big deal, but really how powerful was he? I picture him just a popular host like Sullivan and Carson. Since Godfrey had a large audience, acts could really be seen by millions.

I do recall some story about a dust up with a young, popular singer who appeared regularly on his tv or radio show. Godfrey fired the singer due to his large ego. I’m not certain the details.

My dad says the same thing about Gene Autry as well. However, I think Autry may have been more of a developer of Hollywood geographically investment wise vs studio level decisions wise. Just my observation

2. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

The young singer in question was Julius La Rosa, and La Rosa's popularity actually went up (briefly) after the firing.

DaleClark likes this.
  3. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Well, I made a lot of jokes about Godfrey in the play I wrote about the night in 1954 when The Vagabonds took over his show (when The Ol' Red Head was out for hip surgery) but one of the lines in the play was true:

"Between the Monday through Friday “Arthur Godfrey Time” morning program, the “Arthur Godfrey’s Talent Scouts” Monday night program, the “Arthur Godfrey and his Friends” Wednesday night program, the weekend “Arthur Godfrey Digest” program and the irregularly scheduled “Arthur Godfrey & his Ukulele” program, Mr. Godfrey is responsible for 14.2% of the revenue of this network."

So as you might guess, Arthur pretty much got whatever he wanted from CBS...

- Kevin

SandAndGlass and trumpet sounds like this.
  4. DaleClark

Wow. I could see how he could get big headed. I was just reading how he would get offended if any member of his staff, etc would do a project with any past competitor of his. Godfrey’s bio mentions an 1981 HBO special. I cannot find any clips of that anywhere.

5. Joel Cairo

Just as a plug (for those who like "Golden Age of Television" material), the name of the play is "Real George! - A Night at the Vagabonds"

Available through Amazon & other booksellers...

- Kevin

6. DaleClark

I'll have to check that out

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That man ruined many a life with that ukulele.

Dudley Morris and trumpet sounds like this.
  8. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

He had the strength of ten men.

9. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

His was the last old-style daily variety radio program I remember listening to. Lasted into the early ‘70s, I think.

10. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

As you probably know, his exposure and influence plummeted after his recovery from Lung Cancer, because television had changed.

11. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

On his last or near last radio episode in the 70s, Godfrey read a letter from a Woman who wrote "what will I do without you?". He replied "I don't know! We're the 'last of the Mohicans' here!"

12. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I’ve heard he was a massive radio star and is now mostly forgotten except for OTR fans.

Some time ago I listened to several hours of that 1930s recording of a D.C. station’s full broadcast day, which included his morning show. I found his schtick and the music he played insufferable, but I suppose overworked and lonely housewives it aimed for enjoyed his company.

I believe Stan Freberg did a blistering parody of Godfrey, which is funnier if you’ve suffered through his show.

dan c

Edit: The station I was talking about was WJSV.

13. DaleClark

My Dad recalls a radio show of Godfrey he heard in the late 40's or early 50's. According to my Dad, Godfrey was a pilot and talked aviation quite a bit. On one show, Godfrey mentioned that he predicted man will land on the moon within 100 years. Godfrey actually lived to see all moon landings. That is one story Dad has told countless times thru the years. My Dad grew up poor in Harlan County, KY. My Dad worked in coal mines at 13 years old (non union mines). Dad even ran moonshine with his brothers. Radio was a huge part of their lives back then. I could see how AG was a popular figure in those days.

SandAndGlass and O Don Piano like this.
  14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

My old man watched his show pretty regularly, but he was already growing tired of his schtick when the LaRosa thing went down, and he refused to watch him after that, going so far as to turn the channel if Godfrey came on a show he was watching. It seemd like overnight, people seemed to see the real man.

15. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

He was also fired on the air, during the broadcast.

16. DaleClark

Is there video of the firing. I know the firing came on the radio portion of the broadcast. I think the show stayed on radio an extra hour.

17. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Oh, maybe it was just radio, but I had heard the story that the firing occurred on-air. So yes, it could have been radio only.

18. DaleClark

I could have sworn I saw a video of the firing (maybe the cameras were still recording) on some TV documentary or something. I can not find any video..only audio.

19. Joel Cairo

I think it's been determined that LaRosa's dismissal came after the national portion of the TV broadcast had ended for that day... the audio survives, but there is no known accompanying video footage, which would have only been aired in the local NY area.

- Kevin

20. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

I watched a documentary about him once.
    I was surprised that the man had been so powerful and influential, yet his name was unfamiliar to me. I mentioned him to my mom and she’d remembered how hated he became after the La Rosa firing.
    All I knew of his work was the Too Fat Polka, which apparently Godfrey came to dislike. The documentary stated last television appearance was a performance of the Too Fat Polka.

21. DaleClark

Godfrey did do Chrysler car commercials in the early 70’s. His name/brand must have still appealed to certain demographics

22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Kinda buried the lead there, Kevin...
    a) you wrote a play about The Vagabonds taking over Arthur Godfrey's slot...and,
    b) you were inspired to write a play about The Vagabonds taking over Arthur Godfrey's slot...plus,
    c) you were in a situation where your creativity would best be served by having a reason to write a play about The Vagabonds taking over Arthur Godfrey's slot.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. DaleClark

Doing some further reading, Pat Boone was chosen over Elvis for talent scouts. That is the first I heard that and I know everything Elvis (apparently not). I thought EP’s first NY trip was to meet with RCA in 1955. The Godfrey audition was Presley’s first plane ride. This was before Col. Parker. I wonder who set the audition up? Sam Phillips, Scotty Moore? Wink Martindale? I’m not certain who had ties. Maybe Louisiana Hayride.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    bpmd1962 likes this.
  24. Joel Cairo

Well, I do tend toward the soft-sell... ;)

But... it's all true. I first discovered the group around 2005, and became fascinated with their history. The best way to describe those guys...?: the Beatles of vaudeville.

And it's nearly impossible to overstate their popularity in their hey-day. They got five-minute standing ovations at the end of their act. No one even wanted to try following them on stage. But just as the O.P. in this thread was talking about Godfrey (who, coincidentally, was probably the Vagabonds' greatest patron) and how forgotten he is these days, the same is true of The Vagabonds.

While some of that is no doubt due to poor management decisions, and the eventual death of the nightclub lounge scene, they were simply too good at what they did not to be memorialized in some way. So, I just had to find the right point in their career to showcase... and the 1954 takeover of AG's Wednesday night show was the logical choice.

Much of what I've laid out of their act in the play was transcribed from the few live appearances that have survived, as well as conversations with some of the group's contemporaries (like Woody Woodbury, who worked in The Godfrey Room-- the Vagabonds Club lounge) and various family members.

I'm mindful that the realistic chances of my play being produced approach "zero", but it just seemed important for the opportunity to be there, just to allow other people to have the chance to be entertained in a way that you just don't see much any more.

And to do the boys some justice, here's the cover of the published play:

REAL GEORGE - cover vers_8 SMALL.jpg

Clockwise from the top: Pete Peterson - bass/vocals; Dom Germano - guitar/vocals; Tillio Risso - accordion; and Al Torriere - guitar/vocals.

- Kevin

SandAndGlass and Chris DeVoe like this.
  25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Look, I don't wanna come right out and say that's genius...but, you've gotta know, that's way deep geek there...congratulations.

DaleClark and Chris DeVoe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.