How Prog were The Beatles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by richierichie, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Me, I don't hear much of their influence on KC's music, but I understand what Robert Fripp means.

theMess and AKA-Chuck G like this.
  2. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Yeah, like I said earlier in the thread, the title track "borrows" the riff from The Byrds Everybody's Been Burned.

3. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

Detractor? No, I recognize their great influence and don't throw the producer at me since it is quite obvious the few songs with any prog was greatly enhanced by GM. If you are such a great Beatles fan you should recognize this. If not, then you are missing the point.

4. tug_of_war

There are prog elements that are part of the composition, like on "You Never Give Me Your Money" or "A Day In The Life", both comprised of different sections.

Obviously it doesn't mean the Beatles were prog, but George Martin wasn't responsible for any of the songwriting.

5. AKA-Chuck G

Tomorrow Never Knows and A Day in The Life.

6. AKA-Chuck G

I think you are underestimating GM contribution to anything close to prog in the Beatles catalog. Of course he didn't write the words or music but his input went far beyond being "just a producer".

7. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

As far as I'm aware George Martin doesn't do much arranging on those tracks. The tape loops on Tomorrow Never Knows were McCartney's home doodles.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    theMess likes this.
  8. tug_of_war

He was surely more than a producer.
    He was a collaborator, the real 5th beatle. Specially in their early years.

9. GhostyTMRS

GhostyTMRS Active Member

I only just noticed that the OP changed the thread title from what it was yesterday which was "Were The Beatles Prog?"

tug_of_war likes this.
  10. ZiltoidtheOmniscient

ZiltoidtheOmniscient Forum Resident

I thought they invented hot wings too..

St. Troy likes this.
  11. tug_of_war

It demands more discussion.

OP: "How prog were The Beatles?"

Me: "They were proto-prog at their most progressive, not a bit more.
    Someone said they were 13% prog. Seems accurate to me."

Crimson Witch likes this.
  12. AKA-Chuck G

Psychedelic would be the better way to describe most of these songs, not progressive. And I do recognize their contribution to sampling, double tracking vocals, tape loops and other key elements used by most everyone after Revolver. And the progressive movement certainly benefited from all of these techniques, without a doubt.

13. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

"They were only in it for the money"

14. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

what do you guys think of THE COLLECTORS ?
    the tune "what love" (almost 20 minutes in 1967 -- first prog?)

15. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

It's easy to post cites.

16. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Serious question, and a fair one, I think...

How well did The Beatles fare with complex time signatures?

That's one of the hallmarks of Prog.

17. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

The Beatles invented prog. Why are they not number 1 on the list? They are the genesis of all styles of music.

18. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Just to clarify, since earlier I said that I consider later Beatles to often be rather prog(ressive rock): I'm not at all saying that the Beatles invented progressive rock.

19. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

The word I would use was 'inspired', although in Fripp's case, I am sure he has elsewhere gone into more detail about the production and sound of 'Pepper', and how that influenced him.

20. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Could you not tell that I was making a joke ? Why are people getting so defensive and accusatory ?

My point in this thread regarding prog, is that The Beatles were not a prog-band, but they were one of the bands who inspired the origins of prog, as so many of those acts have confirmed (you can find the quotes in this thread).

So many things The Beatles did in the studio were then built on by prog groups, as Fripp said. I suggest watching the great BBC documentary on Prog if you can find it online, which mentions this.

I shouldn't have to clarify this, but I did not make the 'ridiculous' statement you accuse me of having made, and I am not saying the King Crimson sound like The Beatles; I think that people need to understand that influences don't just mean that 'song-a' necessarily sounds like 'song-b'; for instance, although melodic, I would never have heard any Beatles influence in Nirvana's 'About A Girl' had Kurt not mentioned it.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  21. major_works

major_works This is my Custom Title

Yep. I saw Yes do "I'm Down" at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City NJ. Summer of 1975, I'm thinking. Patrick Moraz on keys at the time. The show was broadcast live on WNEW FM in NYC so there's boots/tapes floating around.

Vinny123 and Jeff W. Richman like this.
  22. major_works

major_works This is my Custom Title

Well, you got me there... But it still doesn't make me hear much more blues influence in Beatles music. At least GH knew who he was!

theMess likes this.
  23. Figure of Eight

Figure of Eight Forum Resident

It's all well worth pointing out that Yes also recorded "America", but I don't hear anyone arguing about Simon & Garfunkel's influence on progressive rock, because if they did they'd look incredibly silly.

St. Troy and major_works like this.
  24. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

I don't agree with this. It's hard to look backwards with modern biases. If you go back to the material, and the timeline of LP relaeases, I think it's another story.

25. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Before the Proggles, there was nothing

St. Troy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.