SH Spotlight How records are made; shows the making of the lacquer, etc. Youtube. New. Must see!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Legendary Gold Star Studio recording engineer Stan Ross ("Tequila", "La Bamba", "Summertime Blues", "I Got You Babe", etc.) sent this to me. Take a look. I've never actually seen how a lacquer blank is made myself!

Part one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUGRRUecBik&mode=related&search=

Part two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IReDh9ec_rk&mode=related&search=

Part two really simplifies the process. In reality, the lacquer makes the metal master which makes the metal mother which makes the metal stamper but you get the idea.

Now you see how each pressed record can vary from its fellow. It's basically the same way records have been made since 1898.

Oh, and don't forget to watch the same process as it was done in 1942 and the middle 1950's:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=68559

AND IN 1937!!! Watch Duke Ellington make a record; you'll see that the manufacturing process is exactly the same as today. Amazin'..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjKlFFp4-IE

thrivingonariff likes this.
  2. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

Very cool, thanks for the links. Guess, this aired on the Discovery Channel?

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Always wondered how people could write the matrix info without screwing up the grooves...

It's a wonder the whole process works at all.

I want to see someone cut music in the inner groove! Classic knows how to do it, apparently.

4. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Very interesting, I always wondered how it was done. Thanks for sharing Steve! :righton:

5. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member

Thanks for sharing Steve. :cool:

6. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

7. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks Steve (and Stan)!

8. reverber

reverber Senior Member

There is mention of the pressing cycle taking 28 seconds. I seem to remember (from the days when I was a very tiny record label) that there was also a longer, "classical" pressing cycle that was used mostly for classical releases. It cost a little more, but supposedly made for quieter and flatter pressings.

Am I misremembering things? If not, does anybody still do the longer pressing cycle?

Cody

9. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Me too!

10. Steve Hoffman

Kevin Gray doesn't need a writing block!

Attached Files:

11. Hawkman

Wow! If I am ever before a firing squad, I hope his finger is on the trigger! :D

12. Steve Hoffman

By the way, it was so hot in Camarillo when I was at the studio today that we actually had a power outage right in the middle of cutting a lacquer of one of my favorite albums of all time. Everything just stopped. Almost had a heart attack as the tape machine died right in the middle of the song. That would leave a big "POP" normally but Kevin kindly reminded me that for safety sake there is no erase or record head on the Studer. Phew, really had me worried there.

13. Steve Hoffman

Of course. At RTI (Record Tech) 180 gram records get a much longer cycle. It varies due to heat, cold, type of vinyl, thickness, etc. The video was just skimming the surface of the process. It's quite intricate.

14. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

Thanks Steve. Very interesting. I always wondered how they did that.

15. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I would've loved to see a 1948 vintage Scully (the one where the lpi is determined by a knob on the table surface, rather than a gear shift on 1938 makes) cut the record . . . just to see how they cut the catch groove . . . :D

Also, is it my imagination, or does the narrator sound Canadian? I'm saying this more as an observation than anything else. . . .

16. Hawkman

You are made of much stronger stuff than I. The seat of my pants would have been about five pounds heavier.

:laugh:

17. Steve Hoffman

Scared me to no end (besides the fact that it went pitch black in there all of a sudden.) Can't remember such a thing happening to me in a studio in many years if ever... :(

18. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

Okay, I'll bite. What album?

19. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk Grounded Space Cadet

Awesome videos! I think it's funny that the writer/narrator couldn't resist making the occasional snarky comment "...some believe it gives a warmer sound..." and "...refuse to move into the digital age...", but the rest of it was very educational. I have to admit, since I gave up watching television, I do miss the Discovery channel, and those like it.

Favourite biscuit-y type things? Those. :)

20. Steve Hoffman

You're welcome.

I, on the other hand, am wondering why they do this:

Attached Files:

21. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I do too. Someone just sent me that picture (and of other dogs dressed up) in an e-mail the other day called "Why Dogs Bite" or something like that. I told her they deserved to get bitten for making the dogs look stupid!

23. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Ask Pug.

[​IMG]

24. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

You guys are killing me. :uhhuh:

25. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't mean to offend people that like dressing up their dogs, but I just don't like it. Maybe a coat for dogs that get cold in the winter, but that's about it for me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.