How the elderly are portrayed in drug commercials

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dead of night, Jun 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Whatever happened to the proposal of universal euthanasia for everybody who reaches the age of 60 ?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

The proponents reached 50.

3. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

These things take time. Literally. I think current events would reveal:"We're working on it. One corpse at a time."

4. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

Sure , but everyone loves old smiling Bob.

5. jimac51

I've been thinking about that since posted. Much of what is being seriously discussed are not OTCs(over the counter) cures,quack remedies that only benefit the seller but drugs needing a physician Rx before given to an individual. The idea of the ad is to bring up the idea to a licensed doctor,who is supposed to weigh benefits vs. harm and make a decision. On-the doctor's side-I have seen an interesting observation more than once at my general practitioner. For one thing,this practice seems to have a rigidly scheduled lunch time for the doctors. I've also noticed the sign- in office in conversation with pharma reps who are often penciled in during this time frame and suggestions of the doctor's favorite restaurant foods(a few places are conveniently nearby). Add to this,and I don't mean to make a stereotype here,but the reps are uniformly well-dressed, appearing well-heeled,attractive and in this case,considerably younger than the doctors. This idea was one of the sub-plots for Penny in The Big Bang Theory-she eventually earns much more than her brainy husband by doing things like this. She was originally portrayed as poor, with little formal education but with lots of street smarts,common sense and able to make a quick-read of any situation-qualities none of the others possess.
    So on one end images promising at least some positives to get the drug and a small dinner & a show for the doctor. A combination for,at least,outrageous profits for Big Pharma. The potential customers,while not the folks in the ad,are real. The prescribers are real. This ain't "take two and see me in the morning". It is often long-term and expensive. Illegal? Maybe no? Immoral? Possibly.

6. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Does it make Canada not developed country? ;). I mean I see this s*** all the time.

MikaelaArsenault and eric777 like this.
  7. SomeCallMeTim

SomeCallMeTim Forum Resident

You realize that miracle cure ads are nothing new, right? If I could figure out how to post content that didn't originate on YouTube, I could show you print ads from the 19th century extolling the all-curing virtues of heroin, cocaine, morphine and other addictive (and fatal, in sufficient quantity) substances. Cocaine was recommended as a topical salve for toothaches (and for teething pain in children!). Heroin and morphine were liquefied and bottled for pain relief, as well as alleviating that common "female hysteria." And if you just needed a refreshing pick-me-up during the day, there was Coca-Cola, named for its active ingredient, powder from the leaves of the coca plant. This ingredient was replaced by caffeine in 1929, but not because the company worried about its product's adverse health effects on its customers - Prohibition in the U.S. threatened to render the manufacture and sale of Coca-Cola illegal, so they substituted the equally addictive upper found in coffee and tea (nicotine was an option they rejected, as its flavor couldn't be overcome by sugar).

Corporations want to sell us s**t, whether it's good for us or not. Just look at all the happy, active, thin families chowing down in any fast food ad.

8. Just an aside, Prevagen has no proven scientific benefits to memory whatsoever, according to Consumer Reports.

9. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Probably erase considering the drugs effects on memory.

10. jimac51

Still need to separate OTCs from Rxs. The Rxs are the most dangerous as the need for a script and many are long term(till death).

11. aforchione

aforchione Forum Resident

It's now called Covid-19.

12. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

If this has been mentioned, I apologize.

But when the drug ad cautions you to tell your doctor that you have a condition that the drug has negative interaction with.....Hello?

These are conditions not treated by walk in facilities.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  13. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

14. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

That photo is hilarious!

15. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

What about Visiting Angels? “America’s favorite home care”. I’m 64. I’d rather be run over by a train than have a visiting angel.

16. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I know, I get it. My elderly, disable parent that lives with me gets home visits/healthcare and so far it's made a tremendous difference in her quality of like - and mine.

I don't particularly know what "visiting angels" does - so I don't have an opinion.

When it's time, I hope I can have the same kind of care my Mom gets.

17. The Wanderer

18. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Men are often conspiculously absent from these photos and ads - unless it's cause they can't maintain an erection.

19. The Wanderer

Homo erectus!

20. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

That's already been mentioned.

Vinny123 likes this.
  21. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

Thanks for pointing that out

22. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

You're welcome

Vinny123 likes this.
  23. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

I just wanna kiss you

Paul J, CraigC and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  24. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

ooof. "i was tired!" its the daytime though...were they attempting a morning sesh? some afternoon delight? is she still annoyed from the night before? so many questions

25. The Wanderer

so many questions...unanswered...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.