How to Burn mp3's as a data disc

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joe Koz, Feb 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam Thread Starter

The only time I burned mp3's were as wav files. As I understand it, you can burn mp3's as a data disc. This way you can get a ton of songs on one CD. My question is when you go to burn the CD, do you have to change the file extension. If so, what do you change the mp3 extension to.

Joe:cool:

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

In my software, I select CD-ROM to burn MP3s as data files. They can be played on CD players and DVD players that have MP3 support. Many new portable CD players also support MP3 data CD-Rs so a portable MP3 player is unnecessary. My DVD player does support MP3 data CD-Rs, but not the CD changer built into the minisystem, nor the CD player built into my MD recorder.

3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Forum Resident

Joe, you make it just like you burn any other data disk. You don't want to do anything to the file extension or they won't be recognized as MP3s. What software are you using? Need to know that to be more specific.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

My latest thing is to burn CD Extra CD-Rs where I can burn a music CD that will play in any regular CD player, and include graphics, lyrics, and even mp3 versions of the CD's songs.

I use Nero 5.5 for this task, as I could not get this to work in CD Creator.

5. Joe Koz

Bradley, What software do you use? Thanks.

Joe

6. Joe Koz

Grant, that's what I've been using, is CD Creator 4. I'll highlight the mp3's and the the software asks me to convert files. I just don't feel comfortable doing it. When I do burn mp3's, I have to burn them as wav files. How do you like Nero 5.5? Can I download a program to do what I want to? Thanks.

Joe

7. Joe Koz

Scarecrow, I use CD Creator 4. Thanks!

Joe

8. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Version 5 of Roxio CD Creator lets you create a data CD, music CD (for use in audio CD players) and an MP3 CD, where it also creates a "playlist". I have not yet tried it (I have nowhere to play MP3 CDs right now), but one key might be to try creating it as a new *data* CD.

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Forum Resident

In CD Creator 4 you just select burn a data disc as opposed to burn an audio disc and then drag the MP3s you want to burn over & you're all set.

Hope that makes sense.

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

That works for me:thumbsup:

11. BradOlson

I use Nero 5.5.10.0

12. Joe Koz

Scarecrow, That's what I've been doing, I select data disc I put the mp3's in the appropriate place. That's when this box comes up and starts telling me to rename my mp3's. It acts as though I'm doing a back up. Really strange!!! Oh well...I'll try again.

Joe

13. BradOlson

If all else fails, you will need to try another program.

14. Joe Koz

That's exactly what I'm thing of doing Bradley, maybe I can download some demos and see what I like.

Joe

15. BradOlson

Yes, this is the best way to try before you buy.

16. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Forum Resident

You can of course try a different program, but the one you have will accomplish what you want to do.

The only reason I know of that it would ask you to rename them is if the file names are long. There is a limit to the length the name can be. It's not asking you to change the file type, but rather shorten the name.

If you want to demo Nero, their site is http://www.ahead.de

17. Joe Koz

Well guys I got it to work last night. The box coming up wanted me to convert a mp3 file to a mp3 file. Very very weird. And it wasn't telling me to do all the files, just certain ones. So I said *Yes* to all and it flew. Thanks to all for helping me out.

18. BradOlson

Converting an MP3 file to an MP3 file is weird.

19. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Forum Resident

Were they all MP3's you had made yourself? If not perhaps they were not encoded correctly & it was confusing the software? Not really sure. Glad it all worked out in the end.

20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

You nevcer want to re-save an mp3 file to the mp3 format again! It will ruin the sound even further.

21. Joe Koz

Grant, I think the file names were to long and the program wanted to know if I would change it to the shorter name. Anyways I got it to work. I don't know if I'll ever use it but, I wanted to try it out. Thanks Grant!

Joe

22. Buring mp3s to CD-R is dead simple in Roxio's Easy CD Creator 5. It also was in Adaptec's versions 4 and 3. You just select Data CD. In the case of Roxio (who now own Adaptec) 5, you can select either Data CD or MP3. What the MP3 function does is create some sort of playlist file along with burning the mp3s. When you then place the burned mp3 disc into your computer the disc will immediately start playing in whatever software you have defaulted to it such as Winamp.

I was wondering if anyone knew how to label music CDs when you are creating them. I can do it with data or mp3 discs, but how does it work when you are burning a regular music CD from wav files?

I'd like to be able to see something other than "audio CD" when I put a burned music disc into my computer and I'm looking at in Windows Explorer.

Attached Files:

23. BTW, this is what I am refering to when I mean make a label for the CD-R.
    In the data disc mode Easy CD Creator allows you to type in a name for the CD.

In music CD mode, I do not know where this feature is.

Thanks. :)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.