How to connect a vintage receiver to a power amp...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stay crunchy, Oct 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brian damico

brian damico Member

Long time since this thread ended but I was wondering if anyone could take this a step further for me...

how would I use this setting with using a turntable into the PHONO 1 and also using the preamp out to go to a mixer that has my powered studio monitors plugged into
    is this possible?

can I essentially go turntable into Phono 1 and then Preamp out to my mixer ?

2. BuddyLou

BuddyLou New Member

I was curious, when I received my Marantz 2250, there the jumpers between the main and pre out plugs were missing. I hooked up my turntable and speakers and it is working fine. I thought it would be "silent" also, but it is playing just fine. Why is that?

3. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Someone wired them together internally?

4. Brad Scholz

Brad Scholz New Member

Sorry to awaken an older thread, but I'm trying to troubleshoot the hum in a treasured Marantz 2240. I suspect the hum may be emanating from the preamp section of the Marantz, and I was hoping to verify this by connecting the PRE OUT on the Marantz to the AUX (or other line level input) on an Onkyo TX-8140 stereo receiver, which has no hum. I figured that if I hear the same hum, when the Marantz is connected to the Onkyo receiver, that would mean the preamp in the Marantz needs help. Does this make sense?

BTW, the main reason I suspect the preamp is because the 2240 power and phono sections were professionally recapped a few years ago, a few questionable solder points were redone, and the amp came back sounding OK until this recent hum. I also noticed that the hum increases and decreases as the tone controls are adjusted up and down.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on whether this would be a useful troubleshooting step, or if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

5. jimfarren

jimfarren New Member

This was a great thread. I've got a Marantz 4400 quadraphonic that I just recently got a pair of Acoustic 648s for to go with my Acoustic 626s. The 648s are the rear speakers.

I am not technically proficient but I do have two ears. So this is where I'm at:

The 626s are rated for 200 watt amps and the 648s for 400 watt amps. I assume 100 & 200 watts per channel respectively. My Marantz is a quad so 125 p/channel in stereo and 50 watts p/channel quad mode).

The speakers sound incredible now but it seems that I need to push much more power to the rear speakers and it seems I have it a full volume half the time. I'm thinking of adding a power amp and would like some advice on what kind of vintage amp would be best (Macintosh, Marantz, etc...) and what power rating (400 watt, 600 watt, or more)?

Thanks for any input.

Greenalishi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.