How To Connect Oppo 203 to MacBook Pro to listen to iTunes on my 2 channel system

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Garthb, Nov 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garthb

Garthb Forum Resident Thread Starter

Currently, I listen to iTunes with the MacBook pro connected to the DAC via the Digital input USB port. My current system: Oppo < external DAC < integrated amp < speakers.

Question: can I get rid of the external DAC and hookup the Oppo directly to the integrated amp so I can listen to iTunes? I suspect I would need to connect the MacBook pro to the Oppo, but I haven't figured out which connection to use (or if it's even possible). Thanks for your help.

2. sjsanford

sjsanford Forum Resident

Unfortunately the 203 doesn’t appear to have a digital inputs like the 205, so no connecting the MBP directly via USB...

One idea - and maybe those with more direct experience could chime in - can you connect the Oppo via Ethernet or WiFi to your home network and use different software (J River or Audirvana) to stream the files over the network to the 203?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  3. sjsanford

sjsanford Forum Resident

Also curious why do you want the take the external DAC out of the chain?

mreeter likes this.
  4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Since you're already in the Mac world, you could get an Apple TV and connect that via HDMI to the Oppo 203 and then stream from your laptop to the Apple TV. That should work.

McLover likes this.
  5. Garthb

Ok, I contacted Oppo and they said to run an HDMI from the MacBook pro to the Oppo, so that works. On another note regarding audio/bluray DVD's, and the Oppo manual says that HDMI will be better for audio DVD's due to "copyright" reason. I tried it, the HDMI sounds GREAT compared to the digital coaxial cable.

@sjsanford Now, since I can connect my MacBook pro directly to the Oppo 203 for iTunes, is there any reason to keep the external DAC?

6. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Glad you're enjoying it. The '03 series Oppos lack the USB DAC input of the '05 series units - but as you found out, the '03s do have HDMI inputs that can perform the same function, so long as your digital source (in this case your Mac) has HDMI output capability.

Garthb likes this.
  7. Garthb

Now if I only knew what all the words meant in the Oppo manual, perhaps I could figure out how to best utilize it!

tmtomh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.