How to connect Preamp into Integrated Stereo Amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by confusedcitizen, Sep 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. confusedcitizen

confusedcitizen Active Member Thread Starter

I have no pre amp in/out on my integrated amp.

I have a pre sub out and that’s it.

Is there a way to hook it up ?

thanks guys!

2. Wayne Nielson

Wayne Nielson Forum Resident

How about some model numbers..........and brand names........

George P and TheVinylAddict like this.
  3. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Yes, some specifics would help others tremendously in being able to provide options, if they exist.........

confusedcitizen likes this.
  4. confusedcitizen

Sure thing, sorry!

I haven’t got it yet but want the Yaqin MS - 23B preamp as that’s what I can afford.

My integrated stereo amp is an Onkyo A-922.

I have two speakers hooked up to a massive subwoofer in case you need to know.

Thanks

5. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I'm interested in you question, too. Seems like preamp outs could go into line-in jacks, but I'm not expert on this.

6. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

It is possible to connect (most if not all) pre-amps to an integrated amp - connect the pre-amp out to any "line in" input on the integrated amp*. This includes any "tape in" options on the integrated.

*The only input one cannot connect to is any "phono" input.

It is most likely that the volume control on both pieces of equipment will be utilised - if it was me I'd set the pre-amp to a level that is moderately high ("7" or "8" with max being "10") and control the listening volume with the integrated amp.

EdogawaRampo and confusedcitizen like this.
  7. confusedcitizen

Thanks for your input! That’s exactly what I needed to know. Is there anything else I should check to make sure my amp and the pre amp will be compatible with each other?

8. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

I wouldn't want my source signal going thru 2 consecutive preamps.
    You need to go "Pre Out" to "Amp In" for this to work as it really should.

9. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

You actually want to use an input on the integrated and find “unity gain” which is generally somewhere around 11 o clock, perhaps straight up on the integrated volume control. Use the preamp to control volume. This is standard way of making a home theater bypass on something that does not offer the feature. It will work but it might not sound as good as just the integrated and certainly not as good as running the pre into a dedicated power amp.

10. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

The previous posters totally misunderstand, as did I until I googled your preamp. Folks, it is a PHONO preamp (and if some gort sees this please puh-leez pretty please add the word "phono" into the thread title).
    Plug the output from the Yaqin into the "CD" "Line 1" or "Line 2" inputs, whatever sounds best. You don't plug it into "phono" because that would doubly apply LP equalisation.

By the way, if you turn off your subwoofer without disconnecting any cables or changing anything else, and crank your music full blast, how do your main speakers sound? Fine, or distorting? If distorting, you need a highpass filter which means a different amp.

Rick58 likes this.
  11. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

You need the integrated amplifier to have a "Pre-in" - this will bypass the preamplifier inside the integrated amplifier (though not always).

Otherwise you are running a preamplifier into another preamplifier and the line jacks are meant to be reading a low signal not a loud signal from an external preamp - I have never seen running a preamp into the line jacks and would not recommend doing that.

It is better to have a dedicated power amplifier.

12. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

Yep. Just searched the Yaqin and reached the same conclusion. It’s a phono preamp so into any line input on the Onkyo and control volume with the Onkyo.

13. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

It's a phono pre.......that was kind of a critical piece of information.;)

14. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Yes that is an important bit left out :)

15. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

16. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

As later posters have pointed out, your pre-amp is a phono preamp. The output on it (.5V) is suitable for any standard "line in" on an integrated amp. Sometime line in is labelled "Aux".

Most people would have an integrated amp (where the two parts "pre amp" and "power amp" are combined in one physical unit.). At the higher end it's common to see these two parts in separate units - a preamp and a power amp.)

Phono preamps have come into their own since many amplifiers (integrated and preamps) no longer have a dedicated phono input. Not only do they boost a very low signal (much lower than a line in) they also perform the RIAA playback equalisation necessary for correct playback for all commercial records made in the last 60 years (approx).

They've always been around - they're just more common (and necessary) nowadays. Some have the ability to adjust for Moving Magnet cartridges (adjusting capacitance (fine tuning)) and Moving Coil (high and low output). Some may be Moving Magnet only.

It's important that the preamp is good electrical match for your phono cartridge - a good dealer or a bit of research can help you there. Each cartridge has a particular electrical requirement and not all phono preamps cater for all cartridges. This is pretty important that you get this part right.

Finally, plug into the same electrical socket as your amp and turntable (power boards are very useful).

17. confusedcitizen

So I’ve been getting mixed messages. Some say I can plug it into my integrated amp and others say I can’t as it will be going through two pre amps...

My cartridge is a goldring 2200 moving iron. Any thoughts on this are welcome.

Goldring 2200

Sorry everyone for not specifying it’s a PHONO pre amp

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  18. confusedcitizen

Sorry I wasn’t more specific! I’m new to all this. I don’t think I can turn the subwoofer off without disconnecting any cables.

19. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

Definitely it's a phono preamp so plug your turntable into the Yaqin and then the Yaqin into any line input on your integrated and you are good to go. Subwoofer will work however it was before.

cmcintyre likes this.
  20. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Oh easy! Shut everything off, pull the power cord, turn everything back on. After the experiment, everything off, power cord back, all good. The point is that unless your main speakers are pretty beefy, driving them fullrange causes a lot of distortion (and possibly damage) that a subwoofer just masks over. Only a highpass filter to cut the lows out of the main speakers can reduce their excursion and hence distortion.

21. confusedcitizen

ahh interesting! There is no power cord though as the sub is powered by the amp. Just the speaker cable connected. Should I unplug that?

22. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Yeah you could unplug that. What model(s) is this setup?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.