How to get into Joni Mitchell's Music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Favre508, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been trying to get into Joni Mitchell's music recently so I listened to the album Blue. I just got bored during the album and turned it off. She is considered to be one of the best singer songwriters ever, but I can't seem to get in to her music. I am a huge fan of Dylan and Young, so I figured that Joni Mitchell would be right up my alley. Is there something I'm missing?

2. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Court and Spark
    Hissing of Summer Lawns
    Hejira

If those don't do it for ya, put Blood on the Tracks or On The Beach back on the turntable and move on.

3. Favre508

If she has an album like Blood on the Tracks or On The Beach that would be awesome!

joelee and Lightworker like this.
  4. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I can relate. I found Ladies of the Canyon much easier to get into (it might be her most accessible album).

Joe N, wwright, duggan and 9 others like this.
  5. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

listen to Chinese Cafe/Unchained Melody off of Wild Things Run Fast

6. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

As much as I love Joni Mitchell's work, I too care little for Blue, however popular it is.
    Give the rest of her stuff a try, if you're interested. The Hissing of the Summer Lawns is my favourite. For the Roses is very good as well.
    Ultimately, though, you're not obligated to like her if you find nothing to engage with in her work.

7. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Try Miles of Aisles. It is a live setting and has most of her hits up to that time. If that is important to you. You might like it better. Oh yea, and the vinyl is better.

8. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

Buy her Greatest Hits...

9. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Buy the Hits/Misses CD's.... good way to hear a range of her music over a longer period.

John Adam, mr.datsun, sjaca and 7 others like this.
  10. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

It sounds like you might prefer some of her more 'produced' work, in which case I'd head for Court & Spark and Hissing Of Summer Lawns, with the emphasis on the former, which is less experimental and more of an 'L.A.' record (and I certainly don't mean that as an insult).

After Hissing...., you'll hear a pronounced jazz influence, reflecting the presence of musicians like Jaco Pastorius and Pat Metheny. That may, or may not, be your thing. Joni is more musically adventurous than Dylan, I'd say, but not as 'schizophrenic' as Neil Young. Most people who like the other two, though, seem to like Joni.

11. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

12. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

I would start with Court and spark or Miles of aisles as suggested, also not the biggest fan of Blue ,Hissing...is quite good too but if I remember correctly it has two songs which are totally out of place (I think the second and last) which totally destroy the flow of an otherwise excellent album

The Dark Elf likes this.
  13. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I always thought that Joni was friggin' hot back in the day. And in a really different, cool and aristocratic way.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2020
  14. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Not sayin' she wasn't...and that's without taking into the consideration the picture on the gatefold of For The Roses:righton:

My mum actually met Joni a couple of times back in the days before Ms Mitchell (nee Anderson) headed south and was still playing Canadian coffeehouses. Being from Saskatoon, Joni played a few times at few places where my mum and her friends hung out at in Regina...

15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I'm also not a huge Blue fan (although "All I Want" is a very pretty song). Try Court and Spark.

16. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

17. SamtheMan

SamtheMan Forum Resident

As much as I love Joni - I would admit it might be a tough ask to come up with an equivalent to 'Blood on the Tracks' or 'On the Beach', as most of her albums tend to have at least a few tracks that aren't IMHO as strong, or easily accessible, as the others. But taking the best tracks from her albums may then open the door to an appreciation of the rest of the album as a whole, and I think she deserves taking the time to try and know her, as she has a tremendous voice, playing and writing style. As you say she is considered one of the best singer/songwriters for a reason.

I would start again with Blue and see if just, 'All I Want', 'California', 'River' and 'A Case of You' float your boat.
    Then Ladies of the Canyon maybe 'For Free', 'Big Yellow Taxi', 'Woodstock' and 'The Circle Game'
    Then Court and Spark and 'Free Man in Paris', 'Help Me', Raised on Robbery', 'Trouble Child' and 'Twisted'
    I'll Skip Hissing of Summer Lawns - come back to that if you are still in the game after the next couple. (Although 'In France They Kiss on Main Street' should be heard)
    Hejira and 'Coyote', Song for Sharon', 'Blue Motel Room' and Refuge of the Roads'.
    Don Juan's Reckless Daughter and 'Overture/Cotton Avenue', 'Talk to Me', 'Don Juan's Reckless Daughter' and 'Off Night Back Street'

Others will have other favourites, but the above should be enjoyable and accessible.

Maybe if you enjoy those you will then have a bit more patience for the albums as a whole, or at worst have an excellent mix tape.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    Six String, QuickDrawDave and Rojo like this.
  18. timind

timind phorum rezident

There are zero female artists listed in you profile under favorites so maybe she's not for you.

19. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

My go to for Joni is the Shadows and Light live album, with Metheny, Jaco and Brecker.

20. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Some time's I will play Joni and her voice irritates me, mostly the early ones. On another day I can fall in love all over again, so keep trying.
    Think I will play some now.

Michael likes this.
  21. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

It seems like "greatest hits album on Spotify" is the generic, free, and correct answer to this question for almost every pop artist.

EwaWoowa likes this.
  22. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

I would think "Blue" is her "On the Beach" and "Blood on the Tracks". Strange that it didn't click if that's what you were looking for.

dee, Man at C&A, Sordel and 2 others like this.
  23. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

1. Buy Hejira.

2. Force yourself to listen to it repeatedly until you think it's genius. This is your therapy.

3. You will then realize you can't be without Joni Mitchell in your life.

4. Buy all her other albums.

24. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

This was my same exact experience. I WANTED to like her and even picked up a copy of "Blue" on vinyl. Just couldn't get into it.

Michael and Moshe like this.
  25. Favre508

I think I'll listen to a compilation, and I'm going to listen to Blue again, I didn't listen to the whole album so I might be missing something.