How to get into Joni Mitchell's Music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Favre508, Feb 19, 2016.

1. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

Er, no, it took us several weeks to listen to the albums, including some we already knew well. Not sure where you're getting the "weekend" thing from?

2. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Sorry. I just recognize myself in this, projects, deciding things, dumping things. A lot of times I'm really glad I didn't dismiss something or throw it out when I had almost pulled the trigger. These things are all emotionally complicated.

3. Nick Drake fan

Nick Drake fan Forum Resident

Hejira is actually my favorite album by Joni. Though I think Blue is probably a bit more immediate.

4. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

I understand. And FWIW my post has nothing to do with whether Blue is a great album -- perhaps it is, and someday I'll realize the fact. I simply wanted to note that, for me and my wife, it would not have been a good "starting point" as neither of us felt the same affinity for Blue as we did for the rest of her work.

Put differently, if Blue were the first Joni Mitchell album I'd heard, I probably wouldn't have been interested in exploring any further. As it was, Mingus was the first one I did hear -- at least consciously: I know my sister had an album of hers, maybe a compilation, and played it when I was a kid -- and, since I was a bass-playing teenager at the time, that got me interested via the Jaco connection.

drad dog and Comet01 like this.
  5. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I started with Court & Spark, which is probably her most conventional (for the times) and accessible album, without pandering unsuccessfully to current trends (a la Wild Things). I didn't buy another Mitchell record for quite awhile, before picking up The Hissing Of Summer Lawns (in part because it was Prince's favorite), which I similarly adored, followed for some unknown reason by Chalkmark In A Rainstorm, maybe because I scored it on a clearance sale. I, um, didn't care for it as much, but "My Secret Place" is an overlooked gem - I loved the video before I had any Joni - and showed she could still do hypnotic like nobody's business.

I think I picked up Blue and Hejira next. Mind blown.

Damiano54 likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

OP... have you listened to Ladies Of The Canyon yet?

7. Michael

that's not the album to start off with...try Ladies Of The Canyon and Court and Spark...you'll fall in love with Joni.

Comet01 likes this.
  8. Michael

when she went more jazzy...

9. Michael

CAS yes! it's a kickin album...

Comet01 likes this.
  10. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

tracks listing of blue joni mitchell - Google Search

There are 10 songs on blue, and 9 of them are stone classics. It's in a different universe from other LPs generally. I just can't look at LPs as children to be favored or disfavored. They are songs too, in a continuum, of an artistic statement, for some, we hope. It is inconceivable to forfeit this flight tonight, or California, or 7 others, and to cherish other LPs by this artist, as if Blue is a breech of listener demanded decorum, rather than the height of her confessional art.

I'm not saying it to offend or scold. But I think treating LPs as either in favor or out of favor is really deceptive when listening to Joni. I rate each Joni LP by the number and intensity of the great work. What other criteria could there be? For instance I think Ladies of the canyon is a downer. I never owned if for a long time. It has slow minory songs and it has an annoying hit with a horrible artificial laugh, and a cliche song done elsewhere, and an ancient singalong. I have reasons for not liking it is my point, but i may recognize virtues later on. For me it's a no brainer that all early joni work is part of a great body, anyway. Blue in this continuum is stupendous. If one doesnt prefer it it begs the question as to why, and I ask myself musical questions like that all the time.

sekaer likes this.
  11. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

"Confessional art" is not what attracts me to her music.
    Although Joni may be considered the queen of self-examination, that is not a selling point for me.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    Davmoco and ostrichfarm like this.
  12. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Which one isn’t?

Marble Index likes this.
  13. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

I was saying it was a "peak" of her songwriting, and it was the most emotionally open she got, by too many accounts to dismiss.

IOW take what I said as "Emotionally transparent and artistic breakthrough in the same tunes= a peak"

Jonis art is "confessional" I am referring to her art as being at it's height.

14. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

The ugly duck is little green for me. It sounds older. It is older. I know about it. Nice youtube of her doing it in color.

ETA; It's about her child she gave up for adoption we know, right? OK

15. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

[​IMG]

rob68 and drad dog like this.
  16. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I think my favourite is Hejira, so obviously would recommend it, but then I believe everything up to Mingus is spectacular.

17. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

18. Matt586

Matt586 New Member

I can't get there either. I can tell the songs are brilliant, but I also hear a lot of rambling and not sticking to a melody so I can get there (reminds me of listening to Jeff Buckley 'Grace' in that regard), and find her vocal ear piercing. And I love Kate Bush so it's not the soprano issue. It's just too loud and cuts through everything, punching through and hurting my ears until I wince. I shall try Court and Spark next. I'm really disappointed in my ears today. I really want to get into this.

19. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

So what, you don't like Joni Mitchell for whatever reason. Move on.

20. jonnyhambone

jonnyhambone Forum Resident

hard to imagine Not loving her, for me. But, if you put on Blue or Hejira through decent headphones and pay attention to her guitar playing, you may gain a different appreciation than her lyrics and vocals would bely. Her tunings and technique are really incredible

Runicen likes this.
  21. Matt586

Matt586 New Member

Just finished Court and Spark and I LOVED IT. When I know there's definitely something there to love, I don't just move on. It can take time and maybe just the right doorway in. If I just gave up I would have missed out.

Runicen likes this.
  22. speedracer

For Christmas I want the Steve Hoffman DCC Blue. It is tough to find. Blue is Joni Mitchell. Her most genuine and authentic recording.

23. speedracer

Question for the SHF think tank. Anyone have any leads where the DCC Blue and Court And Spark might be found?

24. BPMC

BPMC Forum Resident

In my case I started with Court & Spark's friendly accessibility. I then ventured into Blue and had my musical tastes greatly expanded.

25. George P

George P Notable Member

Discogs.