How to get into Joni Mitchell's Music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Favre508, Feb 19, 2016.

1. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

Do not buy her Greatest Hits. Buy her Studio Albums box set and enjoy the journey.

If you prefer classical, try working backwards from Shine through Travelogue and back up to Song to Seagull.

If you prefer folk or jazz, go in order.

Runicen, Aurora and JohnnyQuest like this.
  2. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Don Juan's Reckless Daughter is her masterwork. Get it and you'll get Joni.

3. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Get the boxed set then buy each album. Seriously, she's that good.

Runicen, Aurora and The7thStranger like this.
  4. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

Sidenote, the sexist posts in this thread are disgraceful. Grow up.

APH, sunspot42, Favre508 and 2 others like this.
  5. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

Joni is one of my favorite artists. I too would recommend Court and Spark to begin, since it's more "produced". For me you can't go wrong with any of her 70's output, though. (And Blue, IMO is a masterpiece.)

6. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

that's a bit of a waste if it turns out op just doesn't like her, her voice is a bit of an acquired taste, if blue doesn't hook ya, maybe just not in the cards

Mickey2 likes this.
  7. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

It is? Maybe Bob Dylan or Tom Waits but not Joni. She has a lovely singing voice.

rstamberg likes this.
  8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I started with Ladies of the Canyon. Great album.

wes4usc and Hall Cat like this.
  9. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

well shes no Nico, but shes no Linda Ronstadt, somewhere in the middle

10. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

Start with Blue. You'll either fall in love or not.

edit: I read properly the OP post. Maybe move onto someone else then!

11. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

The box is exceedingly well-done as Joni curated it personally and it supplies an excellent overview of her music. If the pop ondine finds he/she really likes music from one era or one album in particular after listening to that set, he/she is free to explore the album(s) the song(s) came from. I never thought I'd make this comparison, but like Frank Zappa, Joni Mitchell has too many sides to her music to make a blanket statement regarding what her "best" album is. She has explored so many different styles and her voice has changed with age. BTW, I'm one of the few, I guess, who actually prefer Joni's more recent vocal stylings.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  12. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

This is going to seem kind of weird coming from a big Joni Mitchell fan, but you might actually want to check out her first album, Joni Mitchell (also called Song to a Seagull). It's her simplest, most acoustic album, the songwriting really shines, and her voice is so pure. I love Blue, but I didn't find it the easiest one to like in her catalog. Miles of Aisles might also be a good place to start.

Tommy Jay and Hall Cat like this.
  13. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

It was an attempt at humour. Maybe you think discussions about music should be dry and humourless.

Obviously I didn't really mean the OP should listen to an album they might not like on rotation.
    I think Hejira is a brilliant work of genius, that's all I was expressing.

To get into Joni, all you need to do is buy a greatest hits and then buy which albums you like the sound of. Or watch Youtube.
    Joni's music is so varied you are taking a risk if you like Big YellowTaxi and buy Mingus.

14. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

You should check out her performance of 'Coyote' in The Last Waltz with The Band. It was one of the highlights of that all-star occasion.

wes4usc and MRT like this.
  15. Instead of searching out a specific album you could also go to Spotify or YouTube and search out individual songs just to get a feeling of what she's about.
    Try these:

Help Me (Court And Spark)
    Car On A Hill (Court And Spark)
    Rainy Night House (Ladies Of The Canyon)
    The Priest (Ladies Of The Canyon)
    Woodstock (Ladies Of The Canyon)
    River (Blue)
    The Last Time I Saw Richard (Blue)

16. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

And Coyote. (IMO)

17. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

What you are missing is that the fact that you don't favor Joni is a NON ISSUE. The whole idea of "canon", of THE ESSENTIAL STUFF is a myth, albeit a comforting one. You like what you like. Everybody is different. Simple. You like a lot of Dylan and Young. Ok. But that is absolutely no predicter of who/what else you might like. It just doesn't seem to work that way. sorry. I love Song For a Seagull, Blue, For the Roses, Court and Spark, but there is NO REASON why you should. Don't worry about it. There are zillions of great artists out there in zillions of styles from zillions of countries/races/cultures. More than you can discover in 10 lifetimes. move on. Have you tried Korean Court Music? Gagaku? magyar nepzene? Shona mbira music? The world is wide, Joni would say the same thing herself. Joni herself is famously unimpressed with american pop/rock herself. She LOVES Chuck Berry and for her its down hill from there. The point is not that she's right or she's wrong, but that in order for her to feel that way, means that there must be OTHER stuff she likes more. the world is wide. Btw I rattled off those traditions above because I favor them and keep returning to them over the years. Here's one with a special place in my heart you might want to check out. The musical tradition of a small moutainous region in the southwest of Albania (the poorest nation in Europe I believe).
    called Vlore. this is most likely the oldest undiluted musical tradition left in the world, dating
    to the fall of the Assyrian empire (the ancestors of the region were escaped exiles of that fallen dynasty. that's right this is .... Assyrian music!) unlike anything you 've ever heard.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    Terrapin Station, APH and Alan2 like this.
  18. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

As others have mentioned, "Blue" is a good place to start. I just picked this up a few weeks ago, and it was $$$ well spent.

19. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

I don't get not getting Blue. But I'd suggest Court and Spark. That did it for me.

20. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I just love Joni's music. I always have I guess. I've probably purchased more audio equipment based upon the sound of Blue than any other reason.

JimW likes this.
  21. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

You can't try and get into an artists music. It doesn't work that way at least not for me. The music has to get into you. It either does or it doesn't and you can't force it or work at it.

22. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

If you're referring to the member who thought she was "hot back in the day", I reckon you should chill out!
    So what if someone thought someone was "hot"? Sheesh the PC Police....
    Edit: I just saw post 5....so kinda know what you were referring to a little better.:angel:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  23. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Academic at times, sure. But sterile? That isn't a word I would ever use to describe Joni Mitchell. So many of her songs are so personal and affecting.

24. Tebbiebear

Tebbiebear Forum Resident

Another Vote for Court and Spark. I grew up with Joni in the background but my wife didn't much care for her until she listened to that album. Now she quite enjoys my frequent spins of Joni Mitchell Albums.

Tommy Jay likes this.
  25. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
    Lighten up you guys...Jeezus!

ultron9, dalem5467 and Hall Cat like this.