How to identify Hoffman-cut copy of Rumours?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrgopal, Oct 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrgopal

mrgopal If you get bit Just hate the bite. Thread Starter

Hi, my local record store has a sealed 33rpm copy of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours that says "Pressed at Pallas" on the sticker. Is that the right one? anything else I need to look for?

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

You need to look for the 45 rpm instead! ;)

3. mrgopal

Is it that much better?

Chemguy likes this.
  4. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Those who own it say a big yes. For those who can't abide getting up to flip the record two more times, it's the only drawback.

Isamet likes this.
  5. mrgopal

OK, I got the right one! My local record store was selling it for $24.

6. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

So... how does one identify the difference?

mrgopal likes this.
  7. mrgopal

So, they had two versions at the store. Both had the same sticker that said "Pressed at Pallas." One said on the back "made in Germany." The other didn't. I went with the one that didn't say "Made in Germany." And apparently, that was the right one.

Anybody else have any insights on this?

You can see the sticker on this current Ebay listing. It's hard to read the back cover though.

Fleetwood Mac ‎Rumours VINYL Lp 33rpm New Hoffman Mastered Pallas Pressed | eBay

cwitt1980 likes this.
  8. mrgopal

Time to sell my original. This blows it out of the water!

hi_watt and cwitt1980 like this.
  9. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

How do you know they weren't both the correct one? Pallas is in Germany

abracax likes this.
  10. Flusani

Flusani Forum Resident

I think the 2x45 is up for preorder at AS

Chemguy likes this.
  11. Muffinbutt

Muffinbutt Forum Resident

AS?

12. mrgopal

Actually, I think they both were the correct one. I might go back. There's some pressing defects on mine. Second side has some distortion and there's a slight warp. Guess that's the risk of buying a sealed 2011 pressing.

13. mrgopal

AS=Acoustic Sounds. I'm always worried about preorders. Never know when/if they'll actually get it.

14. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Best Buy still had these a couple months ago. It is were I got my copy.

15. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

This is a confusing one...apparently the Euro versions (which MANY stores in North America sell) has the same "looking" sticker but DOES NOT have the "Pressed At Pallas" on the sticker which seems to be the less desirable version, as it not mastered by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman. But I don't know anything about the Made In Germany pressing. Here is a video explaining the Pallas pressing. Go to about the 10 min mark where he talks about the Pallas pressing vs the almost identical looking non Pallas pressing.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    rocnred and maui jim like this.
  16. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

I had the EU version of the 45RPM 2LP pressing, it sounded lame.
    I then bought the US Hoffman-cut, at 33RPM, it sounds fine.

The EU version had a sticker on it with straight corners, like this Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    The US version had a sticker with rounded corners, like this Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Queezma likes this.
  17. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

It appears that I have somewhat of a Frankenstein copy. I bought this on the weekend new/sealed at my local indie store and was very happy to see the “Pressed at Pallas” on the gold sticker. I looked on the back and it says “Made In The USA”, Reprise, 2009, American Cat # etc etc. SOLD!!
    I did notice however that the cover itself seemed more white than I thought it should. In my head I thought it should be an almost “off white/cream” colour, but whatever. I was elated I got my hand on a Gray/Hoffman mastering.
    Here is where it gets interesting.....
    I broke the seal today so I could check for the KPG/SH@ATM etching in the run out groove, and sure enough it’s there...BUT I noticed the label (Burbank label with palm trees) looks different. In fact it appears to be smaller/compressed with a black border around it and along the top of the label instead of saying “Burbank, Home Of Warner Bros Records” it says “DTLA, Home of Warner Records”. I do know that Warner Bros no longer exists and is now “Warner Records”, but what makes this strange is the Cat # is the Euro Cat # of 093624979357 AND it says MADE IN GERMANY at the bottom of the label.
    So I have a MADE IN USA on back of the jacket, with a MADE IN GERMANY on the vinyl label itself, with the Gray/Hoffman initials in the dead wax, with the new Warner Records Burbank label.
    Is this a brand new 2020 pressing/reissue? Or what is it that I have here?
    It sounds great to my ears but I also don’t have an original to compare it to nor have I heard another Gray/Hoffman pressing to give me any idea what others seem to be raving about.
    Thoughts? Anyone?

latheofheaven likes this.
  18. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

What is on your record's dead wax will be the accurate info. I'm an ex-cutting engineer, and we usually put our initials/signature/nickname in the dead wax. Therefore, if it has KPG/SH@ATM then it is theirs. Sounds like it may be a recent pressing. Record companies make all sorts of mix ups, so who knows, but at least you know it's the correct mastering.

Queezma likes this.
  19. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Thanks Timbo. Yes its definitely in the dead wax. Its just odd that the package seems pieced together from both Euro, Noth American AND German "parts". The main thing is that it appears to be the mastering i was after and it sounds great!

Timbo21 likes this.
  20. The_Shocker

The_Shocker Forum Resident

I picked up a Pressed at Pallas copy from Barnes and Noble today and am listening to it now. I'm curious. Is that KG/SH mastering available on CD or a digital download? There was no download code included with this album.

21. Gianni Ovalsand

Gianni Ovalsand Forum Resident

I recently ordered and received the 45 rpm 2020 2 lp repress (Fleetwood Mac - Rumours) from Deep Discount for $40 (less any coupon codes). Although the website says "BACKORDERED", just add it to your cart and checkout. It took about 2-3 weeks after I ordered it to receive a shipping confirmation. They won't charge your credit card until it ships. I can confirm that this is stamped KPG&SH@ATM in the dead wax. Music Direct also has is available to backorder for $45 which states that it will leave their warehouse in 3-7 business days (Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (180g 45rpm Vinyl 2LP) | Shop Music Direct )

Fleetwood Mac Rumours on DeepDiscount

rocnred likes this.
  22. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Well....yeah, just not officially. There are needledrops of the 33 RPM AND 45 RPM "out there".

23. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Just bought Rumours pressed at Pallas and cut by KG and SH. Fantastic job. Dead quiet vinyl and excellent mastering. I can't compare it to the 45 rpm, only my stock Burbank ones. The Pallas is better.

24. Gonzo-a-gogo

Gonzo-a-gogo Tombstone hand, graveyard mind

Just got the 2020 repress of the 45rpm/2LP - merrily joining the chorus - this is fantastic. Incredible what a truly great pressing can do for music you thought had been played into the ground. Really worth the extra dough gang - detailed, warm, and just ****ing lively.

rocnred and Gianni Ovalsand like this.
  25. rocnred

rocnred Southwest Desert Freak-a-zoid

I can concur that the 45rpm KPG/SH pressing is out of this world. I have never heard this album sound so good.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    Gonzo-a-gogo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.