How to make Discogs' clearer?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by FloydVivino, Nov 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FloydVivino

FloydVivino Forum Resident Thread Starter

Another one on Discogs.

First my understanding of its structure, corrections welcomed:

Master Release: the original release, with the original year, label and or tracklist
    Version/Release*: one of the many combinations available for that Master Release, depending on i) Year, ii) Format, iii) Label(s) and iv) Country
    * Version and Release seem to be interchangeable concepts

How difficult would it be to have, in the Master Release Page, one or several of the following, even if adapted:
    • Main Official Releases ("MOR"): just with Year, Country, Label, Master(?). This is sound/master-driven, i.e., nevermind format. It would start with Original, followed by subsequent Reissues, for each indicating whether based on the Original Master or Remastered, in which case, by whom
    • Top-5 Most Sold MOR: by top three selling formats, say, Vinyl, CD, Cassette Tape
    • Top-5 Most Expensive MOR: same as above
    • Top-5 Most Reviewed MOR: this would be dynamic with based on reviews
    I'm aware there are limitations to set this up. But unless completely undoable, let's be constructive and we might even send this to Discogs as a collective thinking exercise (kidding!).

Uncle F.

2. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Add actual release dates.

3. PeterH

PeterH Forum Resident

• Now they have a Master release with all (possibly hundreds) versions where you have to select as a user which version you own/want/have for sale. It would be much better IMO if they would have a tree like structure, e.g.: Master release, different formats on next level, different countries on level after that, different pressings on levels after that. In that case a user can select the level of detail on which he/she wants to document the releases owned/for sale instead of being forced to select a specific version (involving too much detail for many users).
    • Another confusing thing is that Label is used in the database as a container for too many things: actual labels (brand names on releases), companies, series. It would be much better I think if these would be separated in the database.

4. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Informing which version of a cd is in a real jewel case and which is in a digipack or, argh,... a digisleeve.

Sometimes that information is to find, but mostly not.

lightbulb and E.Baba like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.