How to protect yourself when buying something the manufacturer may not stand behind?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by head_unit, May 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm planning to try a set of the Sony headphones WH1000XM3, which predecessors are infamous for breaking headbands and Sony refusing to warranty. So I am wondering what counter-strategies to apply:
    - Buy from Best Buy or such? Their workers seem to not care too much about returns...if you return it there and they accept it, do they just shove it down Sony's throat? Or can it come back to me?
    - Buy from Crutchfield similar reason?
    - Buy an extended warranty-Square Trade if I buy from Amazon or such?
    - Pay with a warranty-extending credit card? Or if Sony refuses to acknowledge a problem does that not work?
    - Keep track of actual use hours to sue in small claims court if need be? (I say that not as a joke but fairly seriously. I would NOT be amused to drop $350 and have it turn to trash months later).
    Other ideas? (Like for a better thread title too...)

2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Buy something else. Even retailers with the most generous return policies will put a cap on returns, even if that cap is generous like 30 days or 60 days. After that, good luck trying to get the retailer to take a return. Extended warranties = read the fine print and reviews - most are a ripoff.

McLover, tmtomh, chili555 and 14 others like this.
  3. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I agree. Just buy a better product. Realistically though, nothing lasts forever, even the top shelf stuff by the most reliable companies. The best course is to do the best that you can and enjoy it as much as possible. That goes for damn near everything in life AFAIK.
    -Bill

4. backeast

backeast Forum Resident

Of the options you listed I only have experience with Best Buy’s protection plan. Eleven years ago I purchased one with my TV and used it with positive results.
    Best of luck!

head_unit and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I did see complaints about the previous models but I don't think my 3 is weak.

head_unit likes this.
  6. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I don't buy Sony for that reason. Had warranty issues with the original discman and never looked back. Buy something else.

head_unit likes this.
  7. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Looking at the Amazon reviews, it doesn't seem that headphone breakage is an everyday problem. But still, headphones do undergo a lot of handling. It sounds like you would be well served by buying an extended warranty plan.

head_unit likes this.
  8. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

1) Do your research.
    2) Buy value, not price.
    3) Remember that it's cheaper to buy the best the first time than the second time.
    4) Buy from a retailer that will honour their sale, not the product.
    5) Be gentle with expensive electronics. Respect your investment.

KT88, nosliw and head_unit like this.
  9. head_unit

Well, I already have the "better" "something else"-Bose QC25. Whose noise reduction is quite good on jets, but whose sound quality is "meh" and whose maximum volume is silly low and whose pressure-on-the-head sensation I detest. So from reviews and a friend's recommendation I want to try the Sony. I'm careful with stuff and hope for good luck, but looking for the best strategy to protect myself as much as possible while taking that risk.

I'm not aware of any other good sounding alternative whose noise reduction is up to the Bose level, and I've been looking quite a bit. I do not want to make a tradeoff of less noise reduction for better sound-cutting out all that jet noise is a big deal on long flights, even just to Chicago or such.

10. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Glad to hear that's "better", I have a Sony pair a bit cheaper and I am not impressed with the sound but they are Ok, had them for years, the battery still holds for hours and feel comfortable so I would buy Sony again.

head_unit likes this.
  11. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

Hate to say it but every purchase is a crap shoot gamble. Lots of luck involved.

12. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I don't understand why anyone would buy a product with a high probability of failure knowing it's difficult to get warranty repairs. I stopped buying Sony products years ago due to poor reliability (CD and DVD players) and non existent warranty support.
    True. But the odds can be stacked in ones favor if you buy products that are known to be reliable.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  13. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

American Express doubles manufacturer warranty when you purchase with their card

Josquin des Prez and head_unit like this.
  14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's great. But if Sony doesn't honor warranty work for whatever reason it doesn't matter how long the warranty time period is.

lv70smusic, KT88 and head_unit like this.
  15. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

My philosophy with audio gear is don't buy anything that you can't afford to see fry itself or get destroyed. And that goes doubly for headphones. Headphones are an item that get regularly handled and are at high risk for getting dropped and having other handling damage done even if you are careful. With headphones I make sure I'm doubly comfortable with replacing the headphone at my cost if something happens. I assume I'm going to be self-insuring the headphones and base how much I'm willing to pay on that.

Some companies do offer replacement parts like new headbands and such for headphones. Sennheiser is one example. But even if the manufacturer has replacement parts for a reasonable price I still assume I'm self-insuring the entire headphone and base whether I'm willing to play with that headphone (or other audio gear) based on how my wallet feels in absorbing any loss due to the gear dying.

I've tested that philosophy by having a $400 headphone fry itself when I plugged it into an amp that was accidentally turned up too loud. My reaction was a calm "bummer". I didn't get mad or angry. Just bummed because I liked that headphone and it was OOP.

If you like the Sony headphones better than the competition and are willing to self-insure their cost and replacement cost then buy them and enjoy.

head_unit and Mike-48 like this.
  16. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I’ve had great luck with Sony headphones. Just buy them and stop worrying.

head_unit, Mike-48 and LivingForever like this.
  17. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

And put them back in the carry case every time, like I do with mine, not a problem after 2 years of use...

head_unit, Mike-48 and lonelysea like this.
  18. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Amex will generally evaluate the issue themselves. Generally, AMEX will issue a refund of the unit (depending on cost of item...you may have to send the unit to them). AMEX replaced an iphone for me that went bad after warranty original warranty. Very easy process

Extended Warranty - Frequently Asked Questions

19. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Amex and other extended warranties don't work like that they will send you to their own repairers once the regular warranty expired and in most cases if the warranty is not honored is because there's been negligence in the use of the device. Like one case in a place I worked for that did repairs, a walkman was sent for a warranty repair full of sand that had got stuck in the gears and it would not turn, -I think it was a Sony- the customer was basically told that is not covered, if you want it fix you'll pay.

Personally I find Sony to be one of the most reliable brands in the world, they must have their lemons but they are a minority.

Whatever problem you had yourself with Sony can be repeated with any other brand, you just need to wait until it happens.

I had only one warranty repair with them that I can remember, that is despite having a large number of products made by them. While other brands of which I may have only one or a couple of products from, had to still be sent for repairs too so percentage wise, Sony works fairly well for me.

20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I've had the opposite experience. I had at least six Sony CD players and DVD/SACD players that stopped working after a few years. All of them had issues that happened after the warranty expired. For the cost of repairs it wasn't worth having them repaired. Sony's poor reliability and lack of service centers to do warranty work are well known facts. That's great that you've had good experiences with your Sony gear. That's not a common experience in recent years with Sony gear.
    Totally untrue. I've owned or currently own well over a dozen Oppo players. In that time I only had one issue with one of them. That issue was quickly corrected by Oppo and I had the player back repaired in a little over two weeks. I've also owned players from Panasonic and Toshiba. Never had an issue with any of those players. Easily the worst reliability I've ever had has been with Sony players.

qwerty likes this.
  21. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

So, @head_unit , did you ever buy the Sonys? Do you like them?

I have a pair of WH1000XM2, which since May, 2018, I've been using 3x a week at the gym and also whenever I fly. I take reasonable care of them, and the headband has not broken. I love them!

22. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Many people have had very good luck with this set of headphones, you might consider!

Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX Headphones | Price & Reviews | Drop (formerly Massdrop)

CBackley and morinix like this.
  23. McLover likes this.
  24. head_unit

Ah, thanks. Those DO look very nice! What I am most looking for though are noise reducing foldable headphones, for use on the airplane and while mowing the lawn. The dilemma with the Sony is the noise reduction and sound are said to be much superior to the Bose I have, however there has been an issue where the hinges break and Sony won't warrant it. I may just take a chance, I'm tired of the Bose in various ways.

25. head_unit

No, part dithering but part dying trees, dead phones, and now refrigerator on the blink :rolleyes::mad::(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.