How to respond nicely to someone who says Pet Sounds is the most over-rated album in the world?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Lux, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

I must admit I didn't adore Pet Sounds right away, aside from the singles.

This was in the vinyl era still (early 80s, when I first listened to my $4 bargain copy)--but I'd accidentally set the needle down on a favorite track, and catch the end of the previous. And sure enough, those little sparks ignited the kindling that got me going on the rest of the album.

It's an album with a lot of subtleties--perhaps too subtle for plain old rock ears. (Certainly mine, at first.) But it's got a depth to it that truly makes it worth repeated listens for decades on end. And just when I thought I was done re-listening to it, the great podcast Sail On featured a whole series picking apart the recording process, and I heard it all with new ears all over again. As Van Dyke Parks said later about SMiLE, it's "durable goods".

(And oh yeah, SMiLE is my all-time favorite. Pet Sounds is up there, though.)

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

He's not doing a the mix, his engineer is. If FUN FUN FUN can sound wonderful in stereo, Chuck Britz or whoever could have made PET SOUNDS the same.

I guess no one gave Brian the memo from Capitol that said that MONO records were to be cut out of the catalog in 1967. That doomed PET SOUNDS to a life of **** Duophoney sound.

3. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I've learned from this forum that the UK first pressing was fold down mix of duophonic. Was the US first pressing also fake duophonic?

4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Kindly nod and say "you are right".

7solqs4iago and ARK like this.
  5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I guess everyone has the right to their opinions.
    It s not against the law not to like Pet Sounds or Beach Boys.

Ian Roberts and Lance LaSalle like this.
  6. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I’d say “you too?”. :hide:

Sorry, I couldn’t resist. Actually I probably don’t think it’s THE most overrated album, but it’s up there. I guess I get why people think it’s a masterpiece - and I think parts are great - but most of it is pedestrian IMO.

zphage, Ian Roberts and Nitrous like this.
  7. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

For me, about half of "Pet Sounds " is excellent and the rest is variable but below excellent. It is not in my "top ten' of the best ever. Yet it is uniquely intriguing as it was possibly Brain's most pure and unbridled expression of his musical vision.

8. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Though I may be misreading, was the US first pressing also fold down of Duophonic?

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Mono was mono. Was in the Capitol catalog for about 15 months. Then, cut out.

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Thank you for the clarification.

11. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

"There are records more overrated"

12. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

"You are a person of low taste. Please go away and darken my towels no more. "

13. Touch Too Much ’79

Touch Too Much ’79 Iamtheworldthathidestheuniversalsecretofalltime

SHOTS FI-YERD! :hide::wantsome::yikes:

14. Col

Col Forum Resident

You say, 'Oh,I disagree.'You then may explain why you think it is important.But,for me,it is an album I admire more than play .I just don't connect with its mood.

15. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

That's cool. How about Wild Honey instead?

(I love the Beach Boys, but Pet Sounds isn't even in my top 5. That's how opinions work sometimes).

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  16. Col

Col Forum Resident

Wild Honey I find almost unlistenable beyond a couple of tracks.I am a Smile fan and those 68/69 tracks
    ...I think The beach boys are the group who I love and dislike in equal measure..those early surf tracks leave me cold as does the post Holland stuff..

Schoolmaster Bones likes this.
  17. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

"I know a music forum you'd love."

7solqs4iago, gregorya, JosepZ and 3 others like this.
  18. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Yes, this is how it works with the Beach Boys.

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  19. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

Say Dark Side of the Moon is instead.

20. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Actually it's the Wall but I get your point.

ARK, Man at C&A and Big Blue like this.
  21. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

You leave it alone; you can't change someone's personal opinion regardless of how wrong you think they may be. All that matters is the enjoyment you get from their music.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  22. Somebody Naked

Somebody Naked Forum Resident

I have a real problem with the words 'overrated' and 'underrated'. Neither has anything whatsoever to do with how good or bad something is, but about how one person feels it should be perceived by others. Mainly - who are we kidding here? - male, wannabe rock critics on the internet.

'Overrated' = too many people like it. Oh no!

'Underrated' - woefully misunderstood by everyone in the world apart from me and a small bunch of true connoisseurs, who really get it. If this changes, then said item will become 'overrated' and I'll moan about that instead.

23. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

I think your post is underrated now but as it gets more likes it will become overrated.
    You are fundamentally right, but I will take either from someone who's opinion I respect or trust, especially if I'm well acquainted with their tastes.

24. realmdemagic

realmdemagic Forum Resident

For me it's Animals. I like the album, but I don't understand why anyone would say it's the best PF album.

25. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Do a lot of people say that, though?

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.