How to respond nicely to someone who says Pet Sounds is the most over-rated album in the world?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Lux, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

You can take all four albums between ...Moon and the Wall and quite a few people will say one or the other is overrated. It's best to go with your gut on that one. Or the lyric sheet... If you can handle Waters' lyrics on the Wall more power to you.

2. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Maybe not a lot, but enough for it to seem overrated ... to me too!

3. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Perhaps because it has the best album cover... ;)

4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Overrated is not “too many people like it”. Overrated is when a relatively few loud, but influential voices, LOVE it and tout it to the skies but a fairly large percentage of people just don’t see what the fuss is all about (which can range from “it’s good, but not great”...to “it sucks”).

IMO, Pet Sounds absolutely falls into this category.

Underrated is sort of the opposite.

5. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

It seems to me like usually when people proclaim Animals their favorite of the big-four Pink Floyd albums, they may be latching on to the least known and least popular of them. I don’t see that as being “overrated” so much as a minority of people who like to take the underdog in a fight, so to speak.

Not to say Animals can’t legitimately be somebody’s favorite. But that fact that it’s sort of the underdog of Pink Floyd albums in that era, in the first place, suggests to me it can’t really be overrated. It’s generally “rated” lower than the others.

The Wall, on the other hand, definitely could be. I’ve always liked it, especially for the solid handful of truly great tracks on it, but its hype and legacy does seem to be disproportionate to its quality compared with the others.

6. Detroit Rock Citizen

I'm not loud nor am I influential. Pet Sounds is in my top 25. What else you got?

Jack Lord likes this.
  7. Detroit Rock Citizen

The Wall singlehandedly turn me towards post punk and new Wave. I have no urge to attend Roger Water's Whine and Cheese party.
    To be honest my favorite Floyd is Pipers, but it's not better than Dark, Wish and Animals.

Big Blue likes this.
  8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

A point - which you clearly missed.

Do you have a point other than you happen to agree with the relatively few loud and influential voices?

9. Blackdagger

Blackdagger Forum Resident

There is nothing strange here actualy....

1. Every person on this planet is actualy world for itself
    2. Every person on this planet is no expert on music or have good taste
    3. Every person on this planet is not smart
    continue the list.....

Justin B, fan wouldn't understand Motorhead album too, specialy if it is girl.

Some other thing is annoying, kids think (most of them, ah that intelect again and stupid masses) that music from 60's, 70's, 80's.... (I mean serious bands) are not artists. They think art is like trousers, like fashion, you can't listen what your parents listen or your grandma (If grandma listen John Lee Hooker). Why they don't say this for Mozart, his music is much older than 60's, 70's, 80's.
    Kids have to learn, or someone should told them, that true art is forever, it is not fashion which you will forget after some years.

Ah.... humanity and teens... very annoying. To bad nature didn't make that every man would be like "Einstein", "Nietzsche" etc.... we have army of idiots.

Brian Lux likes this.
  10. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

You have a point. The records that consistently make the "best pop album of..." lists are the ones that are going to be labelled as "over-rated". Just two sides of a coin.

11. Blackdagger

That's interesting. But it is internet fault.
    You see, yes, internet and freedom of choice but what price is to pay? Nobody think ever on that. I never saw so many lonely people until internet came. Why? Here in former Yugoslavia, you had like everywhere, music magazines, radio shows, tv shows etc.... and all people listened more or less the same. So, people connected to each other when they meet outside in park with guitar, in pubs etc...... Now when internet came, yes, we have freedom of choice, but nobody knows each other anymore.
    If 20 people came in city park, one have guitar, all these 20 people listen different music. 30 years ago, somebody bring guitar and start playing when summer came, all start to sing. Today, somebody bring guitar and start playing, all others ask 'which song is that?'. Then people hang out only with few friends, all other are strangers. I don't like that, I like hippy era.

Price for freedom is sometimes to high. Not to mention plus video games etc..... internet should be limited and cell phones should only have option for call and sms, without internet and camera. To much technology kills humanity, first on spiritual way, than.....

12. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

A lot of differing opinions on the meaning of over-rated it seems.

I would say that if a person believes the album to be over-rated, then they feel that an awful lot of people rate it much higher than they personally do.

As far as I am concerned, this very much describes Pet Sounds to me. Maybe not the most over-rated, but up there.

13. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

It is rated as the greatest album of all time, so stands to reason that it's going to be in the running for the most overrated as well. Both can be true.

The more people who rate something, the more likely there are going to be people who are more disappointed when it does not live up to what they have been told.

This can be albums, artists, books, or films. It is usually the most praised that have the biggest disappointment for some people.

Brian Lux likes this.
  14. Mr. Skin

Mr. Skin Forum Resident

Everybody has different tastes in everything. For example, people have told me Capt. Beefheart's "Trout Mask Replica" is awesome and a groundbreaking album. For me all it breaks is my ears. Pet Sounds on the other hand is "Ear Candy".

15. Grahamstuartcanada

Grahamstuartcanada We play two kinds of music “new” and “wave”

Recommend them some Bad English albums instead :) might be more to their taste

Sort of kidding but referencing a crazy hoffman thread about why BE were the best band evah ;)

16. Detroit Rock Citizen

No the point is that you chose a narrow group of people and assumed it applies to everyone. I can make up my own mind. Thank you very much

17. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Refer them to the reply given in Arkell v. Pressdram.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  18. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd Thread Starter

Kids have to learn, or someone should told them, that true art is forever, it is not fashion which you will forget after some years.
    When I read that it reminded me of how lucky I was to have the right people in my life at the right time. I never had kids of my own, but I tried to pass on some of that thinking- the value of art vs trend- to the kids I have worked with in the past. I think some of it stuck. I sure hope so.
    And I get it about that army you mentioned. They weren't taught critical thinking but instead, learned to follow without much thinking. And here we are in deep... something.

Blackdagger likes this.
  19. Brian Lux

Yeah, those are good points. Unfortunately, if most ratings reflect a broad spectrum of people, those rating often reflect what is called, "appealing to the lowest common denominator".

idreamofpikas likes this.
  20. Detroit Rock Citizen

:laughup::laughup::laughup::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

mBen989 likes this.
  21. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

I usually just ignore Justin Beiber fans.

22. Blackdagger

True. And they follow without thinkin from days when religion was invented, not to mention politics.
    When we think about it, how some famous people were infront of their times, it is basicly what I just wroted here. I was thinkin that I heard somewhere something similar and here it is:

https://image.slidesharecdn.com/gen...idiots-on-cell-phones-1-320.jpg?cb=1374680967

https://allauthor.com/images/quotes...-religion-was-invented-when-the-first-con.jpg

Brian Lux likes this.
  23. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

You shake your head and walk away. People like things or they don't, and I've actually found that trying to convince other people to like something actually makes them dig in harder. There are tons of albums and artists that I love that other people can't stand, and I've had to learn to just leave them alone and live with it, even if they say things that are inflammatory. For example, Townes Van Zandt was the greatest songwriter who ever lived in my opinion, but it's up to other people to make that determination for themselves. In any case, the Beach Boys have had a very nice career and will probably be okay even if this one person doesn't like them.

Brian Lux likes this.
  24. Brian Lux

Yes, well said Judy. When I spend a few years doing semi-parenting with my nephews, instead of telling them what I thought they should like, I played records and let them decide. I was thrilled when the 10 year old liked Lou Reed enough to draw a portrait of him and give it to me!
    Cool that you mentioned the great Townes Van Zandt!

Judge Judy likes this.
  25. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

London Calling all day long.

Amnion likes this.